CALIFORNIA WEATHER THREAD (most important thread on kintsugi)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Acey, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Um....I guess in comparison to "nothing" it's....ok.....I grew up in a more suburban area where there was a grand total of one bus line within easy walking distance and that was always super frustrating, especially since it was once an hour, doesn't run on weekends, hey look we're going to stop running it to the light rail station hope you didn't need to go there. There's more options in the area of town I live in now but I would still definitely not speak of it favorably.

As far as Sac as a city- well when I was growing up people would always complain about how there's nothing to do, but I never minded it. There's a bunch of art galleries, some fairly nice museums, depending on your tolerance for the smell of week and the occasional shooting you can go to Second Saturday, and depending on your tolerance for tourist traps that want to steal all of your money you can go to Old Sac. In general it's a fairly chill town, or at least it's always been to me.

• Like x 1
  2. oph

oph There was a user here, but it's gone now

Are you moving downtown/midtown, uptown, or into one of the other cities in the county? If you're moving downtown/midtown, you should be good -- lots of trees help keep it decently cool down there

If you're moving uptown or somewhere else in the county, it's going to depend on how far away you are from the river. Nearer to the river won't be so bad, but it'll still get pretty hot, especially at the height of summer.

If you're further from the river, well. Nice knowing you.

At least you're moving in around mid-October, so you'll have a chance to acclimate a little before you experience anything too awful.

3. oph

As for things to do, we have nice theatres, if you're into that! You'll miss out on Music Circus season until next year, but Broadway Sacramento's season's just getting started, and there's loads of smaller theatres doing their thing.

4. kmoss

kmoss whoops

I...am not entirely sure where, specifically. They are picking us up from the airport, but all the mail comes from McClellan Park.

And I am super used to "nothing", so

I am thrilled already

5. oph

It's gonna be hot

• Like x 1
  6. Vierran

Vierran small and sharp

My bit of California is a perfectly reasonable 65 degrees approximately 90% of the time. There's still no water, except in the bay and the fog, but the hottest it usually gets is like 75, and it always cools down at night. The coastal part of the Mediterranean climate is really quite reasonable. The everything being on fire thing is pretty unfortunate, I'll admit. Also, yeah, I sure as hell couldn't afford to live here if I weren't living with parents. Still, hoping to get to stay around here for grad school. I like the Bay.

Re: drought, ugh. Ugh ugh ugh. I think the days since I have seen rain counter is back in the 40s? Something like that.

• Like x 1
  7. Choco

Choco Duke of the Weepy Marshmallow Brigade

so i've lived in vegas essentially my entire life, which lbrh is honestly just slightly more east-southern california, am i allowed to commiserate on the utter shittiness that is 100 degree and up desert heat + humidity? because i swear to god i'm going to die, deserts aren't supposed to be humid vegas wtf are you doing???

• Like x 1
  8. oph

No, go start a Nevada weather thread >:|

Nah, of course you're welcome here!

• Like x 2
  9. xenontrioxide

xenontrioxide Member

currently pitching in from san francisco. it is 80 out, and i hate everything. i have decided that i will respond by spending 12 hours at work doing nothing but reading forums and sitting in the A/C instead of braving my hot little house on the hill.

/whinewhinewhine

• Like x 1
  10. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

My town just got supplemental water, yay!

• Like x 1
  11. Vierran

Vierran small and sharp

At least the city is only 80, the east bay is 90. I am supposed to go buy bread, but normally I would ride my bike to do that, and it is simply too hot.

12. xenontrioxide

xenontrioxide Member

oof, you have my sincerest condolences. i am aware that complaining about temps in the 80s makes me completely ridiculous, but dang it, i moved here because i wanted fog :( if i'd loved the hot summers i would have stayed in freaking palo alto

13. Vierran

Vierran small and sharp

Naw, I feel you, there's supposed to be fog here, too. I live in Berkeley and volunteer in SF a couple days a week. Normally, it's pretty much the same weather, but this week SF is like 10 degrees cooler, and it's not ok. Ugh, Palo Alto weather, though. Leaving that is absolutely a good choice.

14. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

I have no idea what the temp is. Don't want to look. Know we've been breaking records.

I hardly ever actually sweat. I get a little shine on my face, but mostly it's in my pits and my creases (inner elbows, behind my knees). I have literally never had the whole "literal drops of sweat dripping down my face into my eyes" experience until this month. Not even the times I fainted at Ren Faire from heat stress. I can't take in water as fast as I'm losing it, especially with how much time I've been spending asleep because the heat wears me out. I am perpetually damp. My whole head is sweating because my hair is dark and thick and both attracts and traps heat. Constantly tired and sick and headachy. I'm lucky I haven't done like my cousin does sometimes and ended up in a dehydration loop that requires hospitalization to fix. (You know how when you're really dehydrated chugging water makes you hurl? And that makes you dehydrated, so you drink water.... and eventually you end up with a saline IV so you can actually take in more than you're losing. IVs suck and I don't wanna do that.) I've been having bloody noses but only in my sleep so I wake up with my face glued to my pillow.

I hate the heat, I've lived in (coastal) desert for most of my life but I'm not made for it I don't handle it well. I just feel so completely wretched and I'd cry if that wouldn't dry me out worse. I can't think straight. I keep getting headaches from lack of caffeine because even cold coffee/tea makes me sweat even more. We haven't gotten marine layer in weeks and the last time we did I almost cried from relief. Even the nights are too hot. And we don't have autumn, we have MORE SUMMER right up until the week before winter officially starts. I've got shakes from dehydration and heat stress and normal stress and keep dropping things when I attempt functioning. Miserable and it's making me dissociate hard and I'm full of brainfog and

I just feel so horrible. We missed out on getting rain- we were hoping for some but it missed us by an entire fucking county at the last second. And the fires and the smoke and every time I so much as step outside I think I'm going to faint and I have an appointment tomorrow in the hottest part of the day.

Sorry for ranting it's just so miserably hot and there's nothing more I can do to mitigate it but it's not enough and it's making me feel so terrible and I need to bitch and moan somewhere but I'm literally too tired to string words together. Going to down a couple bottles of water and maybe fall down again.

• Like x 1
  15. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

It has been very humid and generally hot and shitty. But by the gods it rained for a bit on Wednesday. Not for very long but there was some rumbling and it poured. I was so excited that I left the Arabic lab to give Lugh some water and three pennies and a prayer. Bless him and his thundering. If he was having a fight I hope he punched that fucker out. He probably did. He's Lugh.

• Like x 2
  16. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel certainly something

(static-y transmission from the alien planet of Massachusetts)

THE OTHER DAY WATER FELL FROM THE SKY AND I GOT SOAKED WALKING TO MY CAR, I HAD TO CHANGE MY SHIRT WHEN I GOT HOME?? WHAT IS THIS PLACE

So it's more humid here than the Central Valley, by quite a bit, but so many people have complained that it's hot while I'm just like "oh I won't catch fire if I step into sunlight, how nice". With the exception of one person who went to Sacramento, everyone here who has been to California has been to San Diego and/or L.A. They seem to understand that the rest of the state isn't like San Diego, because San Diego weather is unreal.

My home town has been in the hundreds this week and today I wore a long sleeved shirt. I'm finally free. 8'D

(A Californian walks into a bar. You can tell because they mention the drought within five minutes.)

17. Another Shy One

Another Shy One More books than clothes

my people!!! I have found my home!! that being said, its soo freaking hot here at 10 in the evening i cant open my window :( there is no wind and i have three fans going on at once right now (where is that bay area wind???)

18. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

San Jose - I think it is 2 degrees cooler than a fire right now. The week up till now was 4 degrees hotter than a fire. Still haven't seen any rain since the week after I got here months ago. Does water exist here?

19. Another Shy One

Another Shy One More books than clothes

No cause nestle stole it... honestly though, we're having such dry weather because el niño is coming. Hopefully, it brings the rain.

20. Piratical

Piratical Dis-member

I'm fucking terrified of what'll happen when el niño hits. :( The water will be good in the longterm, of course, but the ground is baked hard so there'll be a lot of flooding. And I live in a valley. ;-;

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice