Catching all 151, er, 368, er ... a lot: The Pokemon Infodump Party!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by An Actual Bird, Feb 28, 2015.

1. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

literally crab.png

• Agree x 1
  2. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

PUN NAMES ARE A FINE TRADITION AND I LOVE EM

• Agree x 7
  3. Pumpkageist

Pumpkageist Warning: I Shitpost

I'm not too enthused about grookey or scorbunny- they're cute I guess, and my mind's subject to change after I see more of them, and their evos, but sobble has already stolen my heart. I love that neurotic little newt.

I also love the protags' default designs, which I never usually have any strong feelings about. I love the suitcase backpacks and the hipster cardigans and the f!protag's tam o' shanter.

Also, the internet will tear brexit jokes and Scottish Twitter jokes out of my cold dead border-dwelling limey hands.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  4. Knives

Knives Active Member

i want to also point out that there is a pokemon in gen 7 who's name is literally just "pile of sand"

i am amazed by the creative output of gamefreak's writers on a daily basis

5. LadyNighteyes

I mean, it's also a pun on "palace," because it's a sand castle.

And the Japanese is not better.
    Or the French.

6. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Audino's French name is Nanméouïe, which is a pun between "ouïe" AKA the sense of hearing, and the French version of "no, but like, yes, I dunn-" Fuck

• Winner x 1
  7. Knives

Knives Active Member

Do all the Pokemon have different names for each language?

8. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

yeah, most of them.

9. LadyNighteyes

A few languages mostly just transcribe the English ones, but yeah, they get localized to different puns a fair bit.

10. Guess who got a shiny Groudon through wonder trade! :^D

• Winner x 3
  11. Knives

Knives Active Member

Might wanna make sure it's not hacked, it's kinda unlikely that someone would go through the god awful effort to get a shiny legendary and put it up for Wonder Trade.

• Agree x 1
  12. Pumpkageist

Pumpkageist Warning: I Shitpost

I just returned to Pokemon Go after a prolonged absence, and since I last played before the interactive elements were fully rolled out, I really need some friends, so please anyone feel free to add me if you still play? My friend code is 7362 1633 1040.

• Like x 1
  13. goldenflowertea

goldenflowertea this universe SUCKS but it is full of FRIENDS

Same here, my code is 4279 7270 8753

• Like x 1
  14. How do I do that, exactly?

15. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

Thank you guys! I finally have enough friends for Willow, that judgy bastard >:(

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  16. Knives

Knives Active Member

Depends, there's no surefire way to detect if a Pokemon is hacked iirc unless they blatantly have something impossible on them.

However, there are a few things that you can check.

#1 being the bit on it's profile where it says where and when it was caught at what level, that's usually something people ignore and if it seems funky then it's probably hacked

#2 check it's i.v.s, hacked pokemon usually have perfect IVs because hackers are lazy, and the likelihood of getting a shiny, perfect i.v. legendary pokemon is low enough that it's effectively 0%, you can calculate it's i.v.s using its stats here https://bulbahandbook.bulbagarden.net/pokemonsunmoon/tools/iv-calc

• Informative x 1
  17. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Iirc most of the legendaries are shiny locked, meaning you can not get a legal shinny legendary outside of events.

• Informative x 1
  18. Knives

Knives Active Member

I've honestly never heard of that, I know you can get a lot of shiny legendaries by saving and reloading before interacting with them when you encounter them that way, Shiny Groudon is definitely in the realm of possibility. I'm 100% certain that you can do it in the Groudon/Kyogre encounter in ORAS

• Agree x 1
  19. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

Groudon is one of those legendaries that got a shiny distribution, and while most players won't toss their free murderbeast onto the the wonder trade, some folks are Like That.

I'm totally down for hacked pokemon anyway. I like breeding them, and I like catching them, but living in Canada without a car was a great way to never ever get event pokemon until, like, the 3DS era. The one time for Pokemon Black that I did manage to get an event Victini I lost the frickin cart. I miss you, Big Red.

• Like x 1
  20. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

Yeah, my understanding is that it's really only a problem if you take it to a tournament. If you're not planning on doing that, NBD, unless you're a stickler for purity.
    Even the competitive scene generally approves of hacked pokemon so long as the stats are possible. (It saves a lot of time breeding the perfect pokemon for a new team.)

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice