Catching all 151, er, 368, er ... a lot: The Pokemon Infodump Party!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by An Actual Bird, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Hot take: woobat and swoobat should be fairy or half fairy types based on appearance, even if they need a new color pallette. They also need high friendship to evolve, and if that doesn't just scream the level of pomp a fairy type usually has I don't know what does

• Agree x 4
  2. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

While this is true, I like getting STAB with heart stamp.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
  3. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

Is anyone else still playing Go? I've got to the point where most of my research objectives are to add new friends.

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

I’m still playing on-and-off. And I also am assigned to Make New Friends. I’ve forgotten what I’m supposed to send for it, though. There’s a number, right?

… brb

*edit* Aight, found it: 2080 8942 5385

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    • Like x 2
  5. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I’m still playing, but I thiiiiink we’re already friends? Could totally be wrong tho

6. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

Thanks @vegacoyote ! I'm 4280 9905 8748.

I don't think I'm friends with you, Acey, but I did have to remake my account so it might have got lost then.

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  7. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

In that case I’ll shoot you a request!

Mine is 3094 8163 6865, if anyone doesn’t have me added feel free to shoot me a request c:

• Like x 1
  8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Just finished sword and am immediately going to play through again!

• Like x 1
  9. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

pokemon anime AU idea: that magic spell that results in Ashachu instead results in Ash turning into an absol.

permanently.
    a second magic spell lets him take human form for a bit but his default form is "absol" now; he picks up a few TM moves and discovers to his shock that he's used a pokemon move before - endure. as a human, so it wasn't taking up a moveslot.

some butterflies: ash participating in an official battle directly, as himself (as a pokemon who's a trainer he legally automatically counts as his own pokemon without a need for his own pokeball, but he has his own pokeball anyways for several reasons including "he handles pokeballs a lot and accidentally catching himself unexpectedly would be really embarrassing"); ash's pokemon, more aware of the ability to use more than four moves, trend towards having five or more; other high-level trainers start picking up on the "more than 4 moves are possible" thing; more pokemon become aware that becoming a trainer themselves is an option so there's more pokemon trainers who are pokemon; ash gets accidentally dropped by psychics, left out of telepathic conversations, etc a lot now when he's not human; ash has some limited precognition now so he runs towards disasters ON PURPOSE a lot and movies tend to either go better, have the difficulty 'turned up' due to other ripple effects, or both; pokemon moves are partially aura-based so ash's aura is a lot more trained and a lot stronger than canon ash's and he's a lot more able to project it (even if it's usually in the form of various typed moves); team rocket try to yoink ash himself A LOT alongside pikachu its a whole THING

• Winner x 1
  10. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

have you read this series bc I believe it is rtyi https://archiveofourown.org/series/1353781

tl;dr summary: Ash has spent enough time around legendary pokemon that he ends up becoming one himself. everything I know about pokemon lore I learned from tumblr but I enjoyed the hell out of this fic it is very good

• Winner x 2
  11. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I found a fic where ash's dad is a fucking Mr mime and so ash got caught in a PokeBall because he's half and I hate everything about it:

https://archiveofourown.org/works/30693212

Sorry for quoting you in a different thread, just trying to stay relevant

• Winner x 1
  12. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

I've read some of that series, yeah!

This idea is that he's just, suddenly and relatively early turned into an absol rather than gradually becoming a pokemon, and that sort of change has a whole bunch of effects

• Like x 1
  13. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I wonder if it was you who recced it to me, because now I think about it I might have found it through this site lol.

anyway despite not being particularly into pokemon I can't get enough of this concept and now I really want to read that absol fic

14. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

some more thoughts in that absol ash AU:

ash starts with nothing in his moveslots At All. he's got offslot endure and bite and thats it and he feels kind of weird about using bite.

his friends get him a few reuseable TMs. im thinking toxic, protect, shadow claw, and calm mind

calm mind's helpful for dealing with that disaster sense (ash is constantly getting into chaos and trouble), protect because ash is constantly getting into trouble, shadow claw so he had An Attack and then toxic because ash wasnt great at offensive moves and that doesnt need him to be good at offensive moves

TMs give pokemon the basics of the attack and puts the attack in a moveslot but then the pokemon has to figure out (ideally with help from a trainer) how to actually use it. ash spends a lot of time fiddling with the attacks and manages to get a blunted dewclaws-only shadow claw which he promptly starts using as thumbs so he doesnt have to go human form every time he wants to do something that needs thumbs.

...as a result ash is practicing shadow claw a lot.

• Winner x 2
  15. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

even more thoughts:

i have the mental image of ash sending himself out against tysons metagross.
    this immediately negates two of metagross's moves, because absol ash is dark type.

by this point ash has picked up a much wider movepool and a bit more than a region's worth of training (he still makes sure to inform the ref that if he uses endure that counts as a forfeit)

i have the mental image of absol ash climbing onto metagross using his shadow claws like both thumbs and climbing gear, clinging on with shadow claw on all four limbs while metagross tries to prise him off and ash hammers in night slashes and maybe even a flamethrower

• Winner x 1
  16. VJ Wocky

VJ Wocky 36 Somnolent Void Seeks Perfection in Dissonance

no problem! :D

• Like x 1
  17. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

another absol ash thought: all that experience with shadow claw, plus his brushes with death giving him a little bit of an advantage over other absol in ghost-type stuff, also translate to being good at will-o-wisp
    (which is a very ghostly fire move; just look at the pokemon that learn it)

im picturing him learning it in sinnoh and dawn going "oooh pretty" and getting him to learn a bunch of contest style stuff with it heh

ETA: also, ash using will-o-wisp as a lamp sometimes when he's in human form

• Winner x 2
  18. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

anyone know much about the diamond/pearl remake? would it be a good first Pokémon game?

• Like x 2
  19. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I'm not sure about the remake, but as someone who started late in the games (wasn't allowed to play until high school, first game was Pokemon black) I can say story wise, starter wise, and Pokemon wise Pokemon diamond (the one I played of the two and then platinum) would've made an excellent introduction to the series! I have high hopes for the remakes

• Agree x 2
  20. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

well that's all the encouragement I need. prepare yourself, wallet. I think I'll get... well, the legendary for Diamond looks cooler, but I think I like the available regular pokemon for Pearl more, so I'll go with that one

• Winner x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice