Catching all 151, er, 368, er ... a lot: The Pokemon Infodump Party!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by An Actual Bird, Feb 28, 2015.

1. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I wish that at least some of the gym leaders were double battles. it's much more fun for me trying to match up a good pair of pokemon to battle together rather than trying to figure out a single good moveset.

• Witnessed x 1
  2. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I have finally made it to the Hall of Fame. Charles Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden did nothing save let me heal someone once and then die. But he was there for moral support and his fainting did let me get someone more capable of fighting set up again. My last pokemon on the team was a salamence I named Lanky Kong because my goblin brain went HE'S THE LAST MEMBER OF THE DK CREW at a friend of mine when describing my plots. Got Lanky and Daniil up to level 50 and Thomas to 48. Charles Barkley was only level 40, Ninjaboy 44 (though he hit 45 after ko'ing shiftry which got me access to baton pass+sword dance strats that let me ohko some shit), and Bob 37. Bob and Charles Barkley were only around to let me heal ko'd mons basically. With Bob being best at this since even at like 20 levels below the Elite Four he was still beefy enough to give me time to revive and heal. Thomas ended up being the mvp against the champion because said champion was fucking Wallace. The most threatening thing he had was a whiscash. That's it. Everything else Thomas thundered to hell and back.

This is the first time in my life I have ever beaten a pokemon game.

• Winner x 4
  3. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I've beaten every gym but one and I'm just hitting the endgame of the Team Galactic plot. My main team has settled out as my starter Ace the infernape, Birdo the staraptor, Mochi the luxio, Cordelia the roserade (who I know is supposed to look like a masquerade ball attendee but honestly just looks like a luchador), BELOVED the haunter, and Tiny the gyrardos. I also switch a few others in and out and usually swap in lower-level pokemon while traveling to grind them up a little bit. I still don't have a fairy, ice, steel, bug, rock, or ground-type that I'm really satisfied with :P I finally started messing around with TMs though and will probably do a bit more of that for some additional type coverage in my main team.

they are my guys and I care them <3

• Winner x 5
  4. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

The true point of Pokémon! I’m glad you’re having so much fun :D

• Like x 1
  5. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I beat the game!!

[​IMG]

my winning team :)

I kind of can't believe I did it first try - I beat the Elite Four but forgot to heal up before going into the Champion fight, so I went in with fuckin. half my team fainted and only one pokemon on full HP. I wish I'd thought to take a screenshot at the start of the fight. I only lived by throwing an X Special Defense at Dialga and letting it tank Shadow Balls from Cynthia's Spiritomb while I got everyone else back on their feet. I went back and forth on swapping my Haunter out for Dialga, but I'm glad I did - probably would have failed otherwise.

I can't wait to get into the postgame!! I also can't wait to play again, but I don't know how to do that and still keep your old pokemon. Can you have multiple save files? I hope so. I also need to do some trading to fill out my pokedex.

This game was so fun. I think I might look into getting an older console (or just figuring out an emulator) so I can play some of the older games too!!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    • Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  6. Aondeug

my goal in life is to get a hippowdon. i will name him skullcrusher and i will feed him so many poffins.

• Winner x 2
  7. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I believe the 3DS eshop has the original Gameboy Color G1 (Red, Blue, Yellow) and G2 (Gold, Silver, Crystal) games, though I don't know if they're available for Switch as well. But yeah, my experience is that it's generally very easy to emulate most Pokemon games, since they're so popular that making them work is a priority for most emulator devs.

• Informative x 1
  8. Aondeug

The only real note with that that I can think of is that if you're emulating gen 3 you will want to very specifically use vba-m and not vba for your gba emulator. You'll also want to go into the GBA settings and change the save type to 64K. You'll also want to toggle on real time clock. You use vba-m because vba causes an infamous white screen glitch on startup that I literally could not fix with that emulator. The save type thing is because otherwise the saves corrupt. Real time clock meanwhile you need to be able to do shit with berries.

Then with gen 5, Black and White I know have copyprotection on them that prevents your mons from gaining exp. There are patched versions of the rom out there that prevents the copyprotection from activating. You'll want to look for versions that specify that they have the exp/ap patch.

Gens 1 and 2 should emulate just fine with any copy of the rom. Though I would suggest using gambatte for those ones. Especially if you want to play a romhack of those games. Gambatte I know for sure will run things like Red++. Platinum also worked fine with just a random rom I grabbed on melonDS. Only thing there is needing to find the BIOs and NAND files first time you set the emulator up.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    • Informative x 2
  9. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

this discussion reminds me, i downloaded pokemon colosseum from the internet archive's oldgamesdownload site and i downloaded dolphin emulator for it and then...never installed either of those

• Like x 1
  10. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I mostly played Gen 3 in No$GBA years ago, and that worked fine 90% of the time but there was a very annoying glitch where in areas with a fog effect it wouldn't render it as transparent, so you couldn't see the map. Huge pain in the ass in the tower in Lavender Town. The developer might have fixed that by now, though.

• Informative x 1
  11. Aondeug

That's weird. Huh. I didn't encounter that all during my Emerald run, granted it was a different emulator. Also haven't tested the Kanto remakes in gen 3. I have heard that they have issues with the white screen glitch on startup too, though. In general gen 3 seems like it needs tiny bits of tinkering to get running on emulator well.

12. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

As far as I know, on switch you can have as many save files as you have player profiles. Older games are sadly one save file only on original hardware, though idk about emulators, i've only started one game on an emulator thus far and i'm not far enough in to be restarting xP

• Agree x 1
  13. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

So I would have to make a new local account on my switch? I'll give that a try, anyway. If not there is always emulation!

14. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

a new profile, if that's the same thing. like when the switch asks you who's playing, those.

• Agree x 1
  15. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

just watched the Pokemon Legends: Arceus gameplay preview and immediately went to preorder. it looks amazing. I'm gonna pick it up at best buy next friday and then spend the whole weekend playing

• Winner x 1
  16. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Can I get a link to the gameplay preview if it's not a hassle? I've got to wait a payday but I'm already leaning towards getting it and want to make sure I'll like it

17. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

here ya go! also, the game was apparently leaked the other day, and I've seen multiple reddit posts from people who've been playing singing its praises :D

• Winner x 1
  18. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Omg that looks awesome!!! I have a need

• Agree x 1
  19. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I love the little PokeBall firework

• Agree x 1
  20. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I'm so excited. I've already decided to go with Rowlett. And the Noble pokemon battles (which maybe are the game's equivalent of gym battles?) look amazing!

• Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice