Catching all 151, er, 368, er ... a lot: The Pokemon Infodump Party!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by An Actual Bird, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

I want this game so badly D:

• Agree x 1
  2. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

best buy had a physical copy pre-order available so I'm going to get it first thing on the 28th :D

I don't know if the pre-order cosmetics apply to the physical version or just the digital download, but I'd rather have the physical version regardless

3. HonestlyVan

HonestlyVan a very funny person who never tells jokes

Oh, that does look like a ton of fun.

• Agree x 1
  4. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

So my first Pokemon game was the Sapphire version on the GameBoy Advance SP...

...which I just got second-hand last month, with my Christmas money.

I also got a LeafGreen cartridge but it turned out to be a faulty one, so I sent it back and only recently got a replacement.

I gotta say, having lived through the big original Pokemon boom in the 90s and caught some of the first two seasons of the anime here and there, the first gen and some of the second are the most familiar. In my Sapphire game I constantly find myself holding up a Lotoad, a Surskit or a Gulpin and just going "wtf is this". Meanwhile in LeafGreen I'm having my Pikachu fight Pidgeys and Zubats while my Jigglypuff sings Geodudes to sleep, and I know what all of those are!

The main pattern of the game so far seems to be:

* You choose a starter Pokemon.
    * You have a Pokemon to level up.
    * You go out into Route 1.
    * You now have three Pokemon to level up.
    * You reach a city. Route 2 is blocked off, so you head into the start of Route 3 to do some levelling.
    * You now have five Pokemon to level up.
    * After a couple tries you beat the first gym and get a badge, which unlocks Route 2. You head into Route 2.
    * You now have nine Pokemon to level up, and have to learn to use the PC Boxes.
    * The Trainers along Route 2 are starting to get tough, and you barely make it through to the next town.
    * You head to the start of Route 5 to do some level grinding for the second gym.
    * You now have twelve Pokemon to level.
    * At least three of them are completely hopeless in battle and rely entirely on "put in first slot, switch out for actual combat capable Pokemon on the first turn" to gain XP at all.
    * Ooh, what's that thing? It looks kind of cool. Is it a rare spawn? Gotta try to get one.
    * You now have fifteen Pokemon to level.
    * Repeat forever.

I seem to like the Water types most, although of course you gotta try and keep a balanced team. I'm 50 hours into the Sapphire game with my Marshtomp named Dopey (cause he's got that big dopey smile on his face), a Linoone named Bandit that brings me unreasonable amounts of Full Restores and Rare Candy, an Azumarill and a Gyrados (of course I knew about Magikarps growing up to be more useful) and a couple other level 30+ mons. I've gotten six Gym Badges and reached Lilycove City, although the signposting is... not always clear where I'm supposed to go next. I'm also just kind of warily eyeing the "secret hideout building" and "Pokemon Contests" side activities, because either of those seems like it could be a massive time-sink if I let it.

My LeafGreen save is only about 10 hours and 2 Gym Badges in, just reached the SS. Anne, with my starter being a Wartortle named Shelly, and my top team includes a Nidoqueen and Jigglypuff.

TMs are very high on the "but what if I need it more later" list and I end up stockpiling them forever.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

is anyone still on pokemon go? I know I added a few people here a looooong time ago but I need to send gifts out for the event so... if anyone is still playing my trainer code is 6135 1281 7992

6. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

I am!

trainer code 428099058478

7. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

8. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

final boss of Legends Arceus is kicking my ass concave, holy shit I have so much gamer rage

• Witnessed x 2
  9. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

NEW POKEMON NEW POKEMON

DONALD DUCK IS HERE

• Winner x 2
  10. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

The kitty and the pepper dragon are incredibly shaped and I am praying to the Pokegods that they stay Creachers instead of evolving to be humanoid again.

• Agree x 5
  11. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

I love duck with a pompadour
    and all of them, but pompaduck is babey

• Agree x 1
  12. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

...why did the trailer have horror movie vibes though?

• Agree x 1
  13. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I am crossing my fingers that pompaduck's evolutions = the water forming a mohawk waterfall, that would be cool aesthetically

• Agree x 3
  14. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

Twitter thread arguing that the new region will be based on Spain.

• Informative x 1
  15. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

I LOVE THE POKEMON. I LOVE POMPADUCK. I LOVE FIRECROC. I LOVE GRASSKITTY.

Also I can see Spain, but I can also see Italy

• Agree x 1
  16. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I've seen everyone saying Spain and I think I agree because of Sprigato and Fuecoco's names. however it could be some kind of Spain-Italy fusion, it doesn't have to be a one-to-one with an existing culture. maybe it's just generally mediterranean/peninsular. whatever it is it looks really nice! also both girl and boy characters get the same starter outfit :D

• Agree x 3
    • Winner x 1
  17. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I have a baffling level of affection for Ingo. I haven't even played the game he comes from. I didn't learn any details of his backstory until after I beat PLA, but the moment I saw him my entire brain latched on. this is my old man now. my old man with the endearing mannerisms and a protective nature and a pokemon best friend and an ever-present air of wistful longing for something very important that he knows he should remember. I've adopted him and now he is mine. I just love a high quality old man. in this house we love a high quality old man!!

• Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  18. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I’d just like to inform you all of some excellent Fuecoco info:
    DD9D4399-A56F-441D-BF76-3BC0B5BD4FAC.jpeg
    Okay that’s all, carry on.

• Winner x 7
  19. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I hope so much that there's an evo named "Crocolatl."

• Agree x 7
    • Winner x 2
  20. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

This is the ideal name, holy fuck

• Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice