Catching all 151, er, 368, er ... a lot: The Pokemon Infodump Party!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by An Actual Bird, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

• Winner x 3
    • Agree x 1
  2. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

kind of want to do pokemon headcanoning again
    if anyone's got a pokemon they would like to hear me ramble about you can drop it in my bijou! Which you can find HERE (link goes to the currently last post which is the last headcanoning i did, so you can easily tell if you like my style)
    i can't promise i'll get to your request super duper quick but i will get to all of them in the end

3. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

not a single cishet character in this game

4. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

So I kind of abandoned my two Pokeyman games for a few months. In Sapphire I managed to fill in quite a lot of Pokedex, and also get as far as the Elite Four, but I'm kind of stalled out at that point.

Can I get some tips on 1) good team compositions to use against the Elite Four, 2) good places and strategies to quickly grind out XP? I already leave two 'mons at the Daycare, but it would be nice to also get XP actively.

Here is a little spreadsheet of my main team (and possible additions). The Earthquake TM is on my Swampert, I should still have most others.

Meagens-pokeymans.png

• Like x 1
  5. Meagen Image

I've spent some time with Bulbapedia and a spreadsheet and compiled a rough guide to level-grinding, listing the most common Pokeymans in each zone with their level, type and EVs. I also made use of some of my stash of Rare Candy that Bandit the Zigzagoon had gathered for me.

A bit distracted with my project to create Prance, the Salamence with Dragon Dance.

• Like x 1
  6. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I completely forgot to mention it here, but over the last month or two I've played Black:
    and Black 2:
    (pardon the quality; my kingdom for the ability to take a screenshot on the 3ds)

I liked the first one better, though that's at least partly because I don't like to let myself use any repeat pokemon, so I was locked out of a lot of good mons in Black 2. Chandelure my beloved <3

I definitely see why people call gen 5 the best generation! It was a real challenge in places, especially the first one, and the writing was probably the best I've seen in the series so far. I'm a few towns into X now, and it's even easier than BD was, but still fun! Kind of slow to start but I like the pokemon you find early game. Currently debating whether to keep the Ivysaur I got from Professor Hotdad or swap it out for an Oddish or maybe Gogoat.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2023
  7. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

also met the World's Most Relatable Man on the subway

[​IMG]

• Agree x 4
    • Winner x 1
  8. Meagen Image

I really need to stop building up boxes of Pokemon on the off-chance I ever get a second Gameboy Advance and Link Cable to trade between my two games, and get back to actually beating the Elite Four and Steven Stone / Sabrina at the Psychic Gym.

but level grinding is so boring. :(

• Agree x 1
  9. Meagen Image

Drake: Do you know what it takes to take on the strongest opponents with your Pokemon?
    Me: A bag full of Revives and the full intention to use them?

(later)
    Drake: Yes... you truly have what it takes.
    Me: I did, but I'm gonna need to restock soon.

And that's how I became Hoen Regional Champion in Using Items On Pokemon.

• Agree x 3
    • Winner x 2
  10. Meagen Image

Trying to catch some Reggies but it appears I have told all of my best Pokeymans to forget status moves in favour of Moar Damage, so I don't have a good way to inflict Paralyze or Sleep to help with the catch rates.

I found a level 31 Raichu in my box and taught it Thunder Shock, but then I got distracted with Coolness Contests and making Pokeblocks for it.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  11. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

oh big mood tho

• Agree x 2
  12. Meagen Image

Even with paralysis Registeel does not want to get in the ball. :(

All I did was awaken an ancient beast sealed away millennia ago by people who feared its power, and now I would like it to get into this small ball and be my pet. Is that so much to ask?

• Witnessed x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  13. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

it is annoyingly easy to get overleveled in XY. I don't think I've fought a single gym that I wasn't at least a couple levels ahead of. there's only been one area where the difficulty spike was any challenge.

also kind of annoying how they try to make you use certain pokemon :/ I don't need a lucario or a lapras on my team, thanks, and the bulbasaur was nice but I already have a starter. would sure love some mega evolution stones for 'mons that I'm actually using!

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  14. Meagen Image

Currently distracted by: getting Effort Ribbons on as many Pokeymans as possible. My starter Dopey and the Surf/Dive Gyrados Diver (who wore a Macho Brace fro a while) immediately qualified, and DelRie and Flappy got them after only a short while of extra fighting.

• Like x 1
  15. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

so was Lysandre the first onscreen depiction of suicide in the pokemon franchise or does he mysteriously show up later or what

oh yeah also I looked up a list of mega stones and I will not, in fact, be able to mega evolve any 'mons that I'm actually using. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯ I seriously can't believe they didn't make mega evolutions for any of the starters. no idea what the hell they were thinking there.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
    • Agree x 1
  16. Meagen Image

In LeafGreen news, once I managed to get past Sabrina both the Cinnabar and Viridian gyms were cakewalks on account of my large variety of Water types. Currently building up a team for the Elite Four.

Edit: my level 38 Gyrados one-shotted the level 50 Rhyhorn with Surf.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  17. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Not me crying over here about Magikarp

18. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Magikarp is just. So good. I love fishy

19. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

Oh no, that video was too much, I'm overcome with delight and fondness

20. Meagen Image

*Grouch Marx voice* Challenged Giovanni to a battle the other day. My Gyrados one-shotted his Rhyhorn with Surf! Why he taught Surf to his Rhyhorn, I'll never know.

• Winner x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice