Catching all 151, er, 368, er ... a lot: The Pokemon Infodump Party!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by An Actual Bird, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

Ahhh yes, I would love a remake of 4th gen! I don't think it's going to happen any time soon, but I'll hold out hope for it to happen someday. I doubt we're going to get more remakes any time soon, because the last games they put out were remakes, and there were like 2 gens between the remakes of gold and silver and ORAS iirc.

2. Pumpkageist

Pumpkageist Warning: I Shitpost

True. I'll admit to just wanting a remade Team Galactic, though. They were the most interesting thing about gen 4 by far. And they did such a good job with Aqua/Magma in ORAS...

3. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

i kinda wanna see the distortion world in all its fucked up glory. and i nominate lumiose for base, because the camera was needlessly confusing -flips table-

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  4. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

Oh man yeah, the distortion world would be so cool with updated graphics, even if the perspective changes would probably give me a headache. The distortion world was amazing- if they do someday do a remake I hope they do even more with that. Idk what, but anything would be good.

And Team Galactic was great, I loved all the admins, and I neeeed more backstory for them and Cyrus. Even just a little more would make me so happy.

• Like x 1
  5. Pumpkageist

God, yes. I mean, Cyrus already has a fair amount of backstory, but I want more than just rumors from NPCs and a grandad. And the younger admins have no backstory at all.

6. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

Exactly! And if we got a remake maybe there would finally be more than the precious few fanfics I can find for Mars and Jupiter. They're my faves and no one else's it seems like(speaking of this though there is one amazing fanfic that I can link you to if you're interested). I think we got a touch of Saturn's backstory? Like I think it was mentioned that Cyrus saved his life before, and that's why he serves him.

7. Pumpkageist

I think that was Matt's backstory in ORAS, rather than Saturn's? There's probably something I'm misremembering or missing, though.

But yeah, Mars in particular is so interesting to me. Could I have a link to that fanfic? :o

8. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

no, I don't think so... I'm pretty sure it's from one of the grunts after they blew up lake valor. I'm gonna replay the game though, so if I find that I'll try to get pics to show you.

You're in luck, because this is very much centered on Mars :D it is also kinda dark(no major character death though) so just a heads up or whatever. And its from Mars' pov(thought I'd mention it since it confused me right at first when I read it) http://archiveofourown.org/works/152739

• Like x 1
  9. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Comes in late and poops on the party HELLO FOLKS I AM NAI AND I LOVE BUG POKEMON collects them all and tucks them into arms.

Though I gripe hard that our only bug/water mon is surskit which evolves into a bug/flying. My ideal futuremon is a bug/water diving spider.

• Like x 2
  10. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

Eeeee yes, so many bug Pokemon are precious <3

And I personally love surskit, since when I was little I thought water striders were like the coolest water bug ever. But yes, a water spider would be awesome! I remember someone had the cutest fakemon based on that concept- it looked like a blue and black jumping spider and it was adorable. Wish I could find it again to show you, but that was a long time ago :(

11. Starcrossedsky

Oh, I love Surskit. But it doesn't keep the water type for its full evolutionary line, so...

We get a spider basically every other generation. It's totally a thing they could do.

12. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was a little disappointing. At least it's evo is cute though.

And they should totally do it! We can definitely hope they will at least.

13. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

So I've noticed a trend now where younger people who didn't grow up with gen 1 games bashing gen 1, possibly in response to all the older people who are super nostalgic for gen 1 saying it was the best gen ever. It makes me kind of sad. Especially when they bash it for silly things like Team Rocket being the mob/Yakuza instead of trying to destroy the world!!11! like teams from gen 3 onward. Or bashing it because it has so many glitches when the only reason why newer pokemon games have little to no glitching is because they learned as they made more and more games!

Even though gen 6 is probably my favorite I still like gen 1 and have some nostalgia towards it. I mean RSE were my least favorite games and I really dislike the vast majority of Hoenn pokemon but I don't run around telling people who grew up with those games or people who are loving ORAS that the games they loved as kids sucked or anything like that. Just because I don't like a game doesn't mean it's a bad game. It just strikes me as really rude.

14. An Actual Bird

An Actual Bird neverthelass, Brid persisted, ate third baggel

I feel like the cool-to-bash generation changes every couple of years. It was Gen 3 for a looooong time which always upset me because Gen 3 was my favourite, now I guess it's Gen 1 again? Also yeah, Kids These Days(TM) have more of a tendency to say 'old games suck!!' without realising that, well, that's pretty much how all games were back then. Gen 1 doesn't hold up in a lot of ways to later gens, but that doesn't mean it's bad; gaming in general has come a long way since then! I mean, it was ridiculously popular at the time for a reason.

To make an analogy (I like analogies, sorry): I watch the new Doctor Who. I do not like the old Doctor Who. I can't make it past the production values to really enjoy it. But, I appreciate that people did, and do, and that it's not bad just because I don't like it, and yet a lot of people sneer at Old Who because it's, well...old. But it did a lot of amazing things for its time and paved the way for later shows that people love!

I don't think it helps that FRLG, at least to me, weren't handled that well, and HGSS didn't do much with Kanto. In a lot of ways I almost wish they'd redo Gen 1 one more time, but apply everything they've learnt up until now to it instead of trying to keep it as similar as possible. I feel like ORAS and HGSS suffered from that too, which was sad. I mean, I loved Emerald - I've played through it about 4 times - but AS just didn't have the charm.

(Also the 'destroy the world' thing was old in DPPT and it hasn't become less old. Give me TR-style villains any day :/ Or better yet, the ones from Orre. ...Just remake Orre. Please.)

#please excuse the infodump #it's my thread i can sperg if i want to #you would sperg too if it happened to youuuuu

15. Hobo

Hobo HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

@liminal It totally is rude, though it's less a response to people who are nostalgic for gen 1/think it was the best and more a response to genwunners who believe that everything since gen1 (or occasionally since gen2) has sucked and is awful and the worst thing ever and unoriginal blah blah. Essentially the same stuff except instead of directed at gen 1 it's directed at every other gen since then. There has always been a lot of nasty intergeneration bashing that goes on in the fandom, it's pretty ridiculous and awful. Every gen has good and bad things and while some might be (subjectively) worse than others, that doesn't mean that people should be shunning people who like that gen as 5eva shit or whatever. It's sad. Pokemon fans should
    [​IMG]

16. An Actual Bird

An Actual Bird neverthelass, Brid persisted, ate third baggel

I would like to thank you for introducing me to the term genwunners because a) it's hilarious and b) reminds me of all the Pokemon shipping drama (with all its dumb terminology) and is therefore nostalgic and hilarious.

Alternatively, everyone needs to watch this.

17. Hobo

Hobo HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

@(Not) Literally A Bird Hahaha yessssss, I still can't get over pokemon shipping names. Like, I was never part of that side of fandom since I'm not really a shipper or fan of the animu at all, but holy shit. I can't get over how many different names there are for pairings that I'm 100% sure only one person in the world has an interest in, it's bizarre and wonderful and goofy as all hell. I'm a little surprised that list I linked didn't have Karens as a thing though, I thought that was pretty common terminology tbh.

Also that video is great, and the comments on it with people blindly hating on bronies are pretty funny in a not getting the point sort of way.

18. Starcrossedsky

It's also always cool to hate on Gen IV, which makes me sad because that was actually my first game.

19. liminal

this is a pokemon thread ina forum with a higher that usual amount of autistic people I think sperging is to be expected :P

the most animosity I've personally seen towards gen 4 was when it was first released because everyone hated the pokemon designs (which I guess is par for the course by now) that was the first gen I learned all about via internet which is pretty cool.

I have sort of developed a hypothesis over the years that every person's 3rd gen is the one they hate the most. The first gen they play is their original game and their favorite, the second is a cool upgrade that they are excited for. The 3rd gen will have some sort of perceived (or in in some cases: actual) dramatic shift that ruins pokemon 5ever. If they don't recover from that they become a genwunner, or type of genwunner for their gen. If they do it's usually because they liked the gen after that well enough to know that there is more pokemon games that they like in the future. So in action:

Gen 1 = best, original
    Gen 2 = obviously a cool upgrade
    Gen 3 = RUINED FOREVER
    Gen 4 = ok, maybe not ruined forever...
    (etc. this is where you see the pattern most clearly because GSC actually was a clear upgrade to gen 1 and gen 3 really was a dramatic shift in design and storytelling that drove a lot of people away. Also it's when the kids in elementary school were in middle school when it is generally considered really uncool to like the things you liked just a couple years ago. Also gen 4 had a lot of evolutions for gen 1 and gen 2 pokemon to win people back. It's basically a perfect storm for genwunners to exist.)

Gen 2 = best, original
    Gen 3 = cool upgrade
    Gen 4 = RUINED FOREVER
    Gen 5 = ok maybe not ruined forever
    (this is the one I see the least of. There is not a lot of hate for gen 4, and it's pretty rare to see people start with gen 2 instead of gen 1 because they are on the same system and were released to close together.)

Gen 3 = best, original
    Gen 4 = cool upgrade
    Gen 5 = RUINED FOREVER
    (this is the most common formula I've seen after genwunners. Gen 5 is the new cool generation to hate and like gen 3 it was an attempt to "reboot" the series with a lot of changes in design. After years of being THE WORST EVER now enough kids who grew up with RSE are young adults who have a ton of nostalgia for those games. Also tends to be the group who does a lot of gen 1 bashing because of the backlash from years of genwunners hate the crap out of their game.)

Gen 4 = Best, original
    Gen 5 = Cool upgrade
    Gen 6 = RUINED FOREVER
    (this is something I've seen before with one kid I used to babysit. He thinks X and Y are stupid. Tough to tell though how common this is for a few more years I think)

Gen 5 = Best, original
    Gen 6 = Cool upgrade
    Gen 7 = RUINED FOREVER
    (this hasn't happened yet, but I think it is going to happen in the future.)

and the song and dance goes on and on forever. I want to add that a person's gen 5 is the "really boring" gen because by that point they may be burnt out on the series after buying so many games (I've seen people who thought X/Y was really boring who grew up with gen 2/gen 3, and I myself thought gen 5 was so boring I havn't touched the games in years. But we are going to need more gens to see if that pattern becomes any more clear or is just disproved altogether.)

I feel like more kids these days have got to realize that unfairly bashing games is not a crochety old person problem, that there are people who are just as obnoxious in their ranks. I feel that genwunners just get more attention because well, we're older and have had more time to have an obnoxious internet presence. But I feel like in the coming years "HOENN IS THE EST EVERYTHING ELSE SUCKZ" crowd is gonna pick up a lot more steam. Especially with ORAS revitalizing the region and their stories.

20. liminal

I've said before that I want a gen 1 remake for the 3DS since it's now the only gen/region you can't play on the 3DS. It feels really unlikely but I want it to happen. Whenever the topic floats around "what would you want to see in a FRLG remake it usually goes towards "make mewtwo part of the plot" or "set it x number of years in the future" but I wouldn't want that because I like the story in gen 1 and I like how it doesn't revolve around the evil team destroying the world!!1. The only change I would make to the story is incorporating in mega evolution like they did in pokemon origins.

What I think would be most likely is to expand what you do in the sevii islands for post game. What I think would be coolest is doing a reverse HGSS/GSC and being able to travel to Johto 3 years in the past. But it's kind of a moot point because with pokemon origins, getting a lot of the kanto pokemon in newer games, it all seems to point to "trying to let people experience the story and the pokemon while not actually remaking the games again."

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice