Chaos in the Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by NevermorePoe, Mar 30, 2016.

1. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

my teacher taught us how to do it by folding a piece of paper up, i don't quite remember it because it was so long ago, thought i can always remember how to do it when i have a recipe in front of me.

2. Aya-non

Aya-non Well-Known Member

Pretty much, yeah. If I weren't so used to them, and if I didn't already have recipes written in them, I'd just say "to heck with it" and order metric stuff off the internet.

• Like x 2
  3. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

Would anyone be interested in a list of basic kitchen supplies? We could make a google doc and link it in the original post.

• Like x 5
  4. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

Does anyone have an idea how to convert basic dough recipes from sweet to savory? I may be experimenting with cakepops soon and some of the herbier ones i wouldn't want to overwhelm with sweetness

5. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Milk, flour, butter etc. are pretty neutral, if you just put a pinch of salt in instead of whatever amount of sugar/honey/whatevs the recipe calls for, you should be good.
    That in reverse is how I made that delicious sweet bread -- leftover flour, egg yolk, milk, and a good amount of honey.

6. IvyLB

problem:
    my base recipe for cakepops calls for a shitton of sugar, idk how to substitute for that except i know i substitute vanilla sugar part with vanilla salt but idk what to do with the big portion of plain sugar so yeah :P

7. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Ditch the sugar and ignore the amount.
    Taste with salt and spices afterwards.

Maybe add some more flour to help the consistency.

8. IvyLB

i don't like just ditching a huge chunk of ingredients because i am working with a very specific portion size here hon

9. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

• Like x 1
  10. IvyLB

well the first link doesn't have actual recipes as far as I can tell it's more an inspiration board?
    and the second one is a search result with precisely zero actual hits for savoury cakepops lol

I'm gonna probably have to experiment on my own, but thanks for trying to help!
    I think my first theoretical recipe alteration had some flour substituted for the sugar so at least I know i'm not the only one thinking this might work :)

11. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

Dammit phone >_<

I'll poke around again when I get home. There's gotta be SOMEthing.

12. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

would trying a muffin recipe or quick bread recipe work? there are plain recipes you can find online and they rise about the same as cake and have same-ish texture.

13. bornofthesea670

or do cake pops just have different recipes than normal cake? are there cake pop specific recipes?

14. IvyLB

cake pops have specific recipes due to tiny portion sizes, yes

15. bornofthesea670

if there ARE differences in the batter, maybe do some trial and error depending on the consistency of the batter and work off of what people have done with using plain old cake mixes?

16. bornofthesea670

well yes but most smaller portion recipes are just scaled down versions...? sorry I'm not googling this much more than i need to, i am a bit low on mental spoons

17. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

@IvyLB, it occurs to me that we could give you better advice if we could see the recipe you're working off of.

18. bornofthesea670

it seems some folks have had some success with just reducing the amount of liquid ingredients. darn, now i wish i had one of the makers so i could fiddle around with it! i wish you luck :)

19. IvyLB

It's in german :P but I can try to translate

so according to this you need
    30g butter
    75g flour
    one table spoon yoghurt
    50g sugar
    1 package vanilla sugar
    1 pinch of salt
    a quarter teaspoon of baking powder
    1 egg

preheat oven to 180C, melt butter in pot
    egg, yoghurt, sugarm vanilla sugar and salt get whisked until the mixture turns foamy and white, then you add flour and baking poweder to the foam. last you add the melted butter and carefully mix
    put in your special silicon cakepop mold and bake for 20 minutes

afterwards comes the rather irrelevant part of decorating so i'm leaving that off :P

sooo yeah I am looking at 2 parts sugar, 3 parts flour here. I wonder if it's enough if i just take it down to 1 part / 4 parts? but it seems like an awful lot of sugar.

20. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's going to make it sweet no matter what. Hm, hm. I don't have the time/wherewithall to do it now but I think I could probably come up with some ideas tomorrow if you're still in need of them.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice