Characters you (over)identify or connect with

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Codeless, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I RP like...4 different Porrims right now so I feel like that answers that. Also 2 separate Dolorosas.

2. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

*pained wailing over alma karma*
    don't even LOOK AT ME THAT ARC FUCKE DME UP HELP

oh btw I totally have a type for favorite characters actually. I have like a homing device installed in my taste that always finds the biggest trashprince of fuck-up-hausen to fall in love with. *pointedly doesn't look at eridan ampora and orihara izaya and every single male antihero in anime ever*
    that and the sad ones. I can smell tragic pasts. and I will coddle the shit out of tragic past (tm) characters
    and then there is my wistful sighing over completely fucked up villains with god complexes/actual literal gods with mass murderer tendencies
    It's gotten to the point where I will start liking a character and go 'Wait a second you are going to turn out evil aren't you. Fuck.'

3. Enzel

Enzel androgynous jrpg protag

@wixbloom man, I know a lot of Roses. Also I haven't played DA2 yet but because of fandom osmosis I have a feeling Fenris will be a fav.

AHhh, thank you...lol. Like, I'm not sure he should have BEEN a silent protagonist to begin with but like. It's not hard to figure out who he is. Especially if you max out your affection w/ everyone, the stuff they say about him.

Alma oh man. I love that child. 8 ( Guy and Sync are my Abyss children but Asch is p great.

RP wise I tend to play the ones I identify with, and then people who are the COMPLETE opposite. The latter category tends to be "little shits that are probably villains" ...tho I find over the course of rp I will inevitably find something the character and I share.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  4. lvkz

lvkz Well-Known Karkat

omg one of my number one fears that keeps me from RPing WHAT IF THEY FIND OUT MY CHARACTER IS ACTUALLY ME but playing a character i don't connect with seems hard good thing i will never rp due to performance anxiety

5. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

more than one person who actually knows who Alma is? omfg, kintsugi truly is heaven.

(In the interest of my own RPer anecdata I played him for two years before picking up Asch which was two and a half years ago now.... Also yes Sync is a good choice in Abyss children 100% approved. I'm just Dumb Redheads Forever.)

6. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

@Starcrossedsky yep, i rp norm the genie, the character that i have a Strong Connection with. :D

7. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I FORGOT ELPHABA. Book Elphaba in particular. I like the play but I think of the book mostly when I think Wicked.

Elphaba though. Just that green woman. Hated. Unforgiven. Passionate. Finally broken.

• Like x 1
  8. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

Cortaaaaaaaaaaaana. And Catherine Halsey. And The Doctor. And my FemShep. (who I swear was not supposed to be me, and still isn't.)
    • very smart, very good at learning, cannot fucking handle not knowing things or not understanding things - on both the "if I don't know this i am Inadequate On Every Level" and "i have a slight genius complex maybe just a bit what are you talking about" levels.
    • utterly depressed. manages to hide it behind I Am A Fucking Genius and I Am Keeping Busy. when thing cannot be solved/fixed, Cannot Handle.
    • "you have such a what-more-can-i-do attitude. that's great!" " ... *blink* ... but it's my job."
    • does not care one bit about anything. but also cares so much it hurts. see point 2.
    • must keep thinking. must keep learning. must keep fixing. must keep moving.
    • i cannot not have a point.
    • ...what do you mean, relax?
    • loooooooonging for a tragic paaaaaaaaaaaast because then Please Love Me
    • i am the leader, but you will feel like you are important. (this applies so much less to Halsey it's not even funny. she's like...i dunno, my non-empathic side.)
    hm. looking at that list, there's a significant amount of overlap...

9. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I connect with all the Megidos (well, not the Handmaid so much--though I do love her--but yeah), but in different ways.

Aradia is the kind of person I want to be--she's brave and loyal and kind and a total badass. Her story resonates super deeply with me, too. I've always viewed Aradia's character arc as an allegory for depression, and as someone who's been seriously depressed on a number of occasions (FUN WITH BIPOLAR DISORDER!), the fact that she's pulled herself out of that hole and is now so alive is...well, sometimes thinking "Aradia would be able to get through this" gets me through the day.

Damara is a lot closer to who I actually am, which is really kind of sad. Where to begin...we share...
    • A long history of abuse, bullying, and betrayal.
    • A bit of an outcast status, both over things we can't help (her language barrier, my brainweird) and things that are pretty much entirely our faults (her going all homicidal, my tendency to be obnoxious as shit and kind of a bitch).
    • Anger issues and destructive tendencies.
    • A desire to get back at everyone who has wronged us, which never works out well.
    • Intense, obsessive loyalty and attachment to people. (In her case it's just Rufioh, in mine it's damn near all of my friends.)
    • A tendency to intentionally annoy or anger people (either to get them to stop bugging us or just because we're both shitheads who think it's funny).
    Just...I see so much of myself in this minor and outright villainous character, and it's sad, but it's also kinda helpful, because sometimes seeing your flaws laid out in stark relief like that can really be a good starting point for self-improvement. And I freak out when people criticize me, so seeing so many of my own flaws reflected in a fictional character kind of softens the blow.

• Like x 1
  10. Kittenly

Kittenly Just Squish That Cat!

Count me in also. Except for substance abuse. But also bc my name is Rose (I go by Rosie but close enough). *name high fives*

God, I do love Fenris. I love his arc and how real it feels. Yeah, Hawke can help him get a lot better, but their entrance into his life doesn't just make all the shit go away. And Fenris has a /really/ rocky road to recovery. He's not very good at being a person yet and it shows. He's abrasive and thorny and makes a lot of mistakes. But he makes pretty consistent improvement through the game.

-makes pained noises as I refrain from sperging about DA2-

While I don't overly identify with him, Anders is my precious shitbaby who needs extensive therapy, love, and cats.
    • was horribly abused at Kinloch Hold, the worst was being put in solitary for a fucking year
    • Finally found a home with the Wardens only to have it taken away as the Mage-Templar conflict began to escalate
    • Offered a dying friend refuge in his body and both of them became irrevocably changed for the worse
    • His former romantic partner was basically lobotomized in part to screw with him.
    • Nevertheless runs a free clinic in the sewers, where he offers anyone access to his extensive healing knowledge (Anders is implied to be one of the most skilled healers in Thedas), and his clients are so protective of him that they will literally attack anyone they think threatens him.
    • destructively devoted to his cause(s), and friends that he stays in a place that might be literally driving him mad to help the Kirkwall mages and Hawke. (He says he will drown the world in blood to keep you safe. Like, Babe. Too far. You need someone to talk you down)
    • Has a martyr complex a mile wide.
    • Thinks he can play the lute
    • Writes shitty manifestos and leaves them everywhere
    • strongly implied to be mentally ill (def depressed, but also exhibits a lot of bipolar disorder traits, especially with Justice aggravating everything).
    I adore him in comparison to Fenris. They're so much more similar than they think, and while Fenris gets better through the game, Anders just gets worse and worse. And I have an enormous soft spot for doomed characters. (though I have extensive headcanons of him getting at least a little better.)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    • Like x 2
  11. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

Yeah, that's really awesome in narrative terms, especially because initially Anders seems to be so much more pleasant than Fenris! Their introduction is like "Anders is a beloved healer, Fenris likes to cuss at mages and wants to kill a lot of people". Something similar happens between Isabella and Merril: Isabella seems to be so rowdy and Merril so meek, but guess which one is a blood mage. Come to think of it, Hawke themself is like that? They're "Champion of Kirkwall" yet as it turns out they're generally only making it worse. Ugh I love Dragon Age II.

Although the whole arc of romance with Anders really freaks me out to be honest. I'm very uncomfortable with dramatic people (from being abused by a fair share of them) and so not even the "drown everyone in blood" thing, but merely the starry-eyed "I'm breaking all the rules with you because I love you so much" talk scare me. The Fenris romance I can relate to and appreciate a lot more. It gets awkward at times, and it's slow and cautious, but as it progresses it's like the feelings involved are more reliable (and unlike Anders, even when Fenris leaves you, he doesn't betray your trust). And Fenris can actually be moved to rethink his prejudices, unlike Anders. I don't know I just have A LOT OF FEELINGS about Fenris.

• Like x 1
  12. Kittenly

Kittenly Just Squish That Cat!

I can see how that the Andersmance could be very distressing *hugs*. It probably works for me because I don't have a bad history. My Hawke who romanced him is my favorite playthrough and romance, but that's precisely because it is so fucking messed up. Also I rival!manced him, so Hawke takes absolutely none of the "breaking the rules by being with you" shit and Anders and her story (a lot of which is after the game because I can't let my babies drop even once the game is over) is mostly focused on redemption for what happens in Kirkwall and rebuilding their relationship away from their previous toxic, mutually abusive one. Which I would get screamed at for on tumblr by two parties: the terrifying Anders fans who think he did nothing wrong, and the people who are like, no abuser can ever be redeemed.

Anyway, I think I'll start a DA2 thread, so we can stop derailing this one o.o

• Like x 1
  13. BadBoy

BadBoy Member

@Acey I think you're spot on with Aradia, that's what I've come to think too. Granted it took me a couple fics to get there but.

• Like x 1
  14. pixels

pixels hiatus / only back to vent

OH MY GOD LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT DELTA FROM RED VS. BLUE THO. Logical AI trying to understand how humans work, voluntarily dying with his human knowing it's illogical because "that's what makes us human." *cries for five years about a five-episode miniseries* I identify ridiculously with a fucking computer program. (This... probably should have set me off earlier that I am Probably Spergy.)

I... had an "involuntary fictive" experience where Epsilon from Red vs. Blue was in my head for a few months. It was scary as fuck. Small angry child obsessed with memories, what he's forced to remember, panicking about what he's forgotten. Also feels very derivative of other people. Once again, I identify with a computer program.

It's kind of weird that I identify with these two, seeing as they're literally personality fragments that resulted from deliberate mental torture of a digitalized mind. Where Cortana is a direct imprint of Dr. Halsey, the Red vs. Blue AIs, all of them, come from a single brain. That they deliberately gave DID. So they could create more. All of them are my precious children. Even Gamma the liar. Even fucking Omega, the anger. God.

But Delta especially. I want a tattoo of that letter in green below one of my ears. Just. I. Delta. And Epsilon. Fuck.

• Like x 4
  15. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

I'm not sure any of you have ever read C. J. Cherryh's Morgaine books, but the central couple of that, both of them. I contain both the romantic hedge-knight who tries to be all the things -- love, honor, duty, protection -- that he knows the world never really is and never really rewards, and yet also her, the coldly rational one, the romance and compassion burned out of her by the grim calculations of death and doom and futility, refusing to give in and let ruination win. Those books still make me cry, again and again.

• Like x 1
  16. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

I feel this very intensely because Tex, man. Tex. Appeals way too strongly to my type of "the universe fucked me over, but I'm not going to show that I'm actually a steaming ball of rage until just. about. now."]

you get me.

• Like x 2
  17. pixels

pixels hiatus / only back to vent

@Starcrossedsky back when Season 1 was a thing and I was a freshman in high school, there was a group of us who would watch the show. I was the only girl and I'd lived in Texas for a year. Guess which one I was. The Japanese guy in our group was Lopez because both of them were brown. There was a Sarge and a Caboose and a Church. Don't remember who Tucker, Simmons, or Grif were. Tl;dr that show has been a huge part of my life so no wonder the characters are A Part Of Me.

... Also, for your Tex feels, I made this. Like six years ago or something. Still cool.

• Like x 1
  18. Allenna

Allenna I am not a Dragon. Or a Robot. Really.

Andrea from Walking Dead. (A show I had to watch on fast forward covering my eyes a great deal of the time)

19. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Also, things I have in common with Enkidi Galgal:
    • Being disgusted at this whole having a body thing. Seriously, why?
    • Occaisional cases of "Beep boop I´m a robot"
    • The phrase "Pissy little freakout weasel" has sometimes described me.*
    • Often really not into this going out and/or meeting people thing.
    • Self esteem issues and suicidal ideation
    • Sometimes being a person really doesn´t seem worth it.
    • Medical phobia
    *This happen when someone pushes me to hard and I feel backed into a corner, I will panic and the flip my shit at them. basically my brain decides this is dangerous and must be made to go away by any means possible. Only thing that helps is getting away from the conversation.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    • Like x 1
  20. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

Speaking of boat trolls, I don't really identify with Bel Kadros but I am very fond of him and I did sort of steal his name.....

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice