Cheese Thread

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Vierran, Mar 7, 2017.

1. shmeed

shmeed plant me

Count me on the brie train. Mmm. Especially spread over a nice, crusty bread, like a French baguette.

I'm bad with cheeses so it's always a crapshoot of what I'm getting but I got this brie-looking stuff one time that was extremely pungent and sour, and that was really good on bread with honey.

• Like x 5
  2. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

*Wisconsinite bashes through wall* DID SOMEONE SAY CHEEEEESE

So srsly tho pretty much all cheese is good cheese except the waxy junk you get in bulk from certain grocery stores.
    different cheese is made to be enjoyed different ways and they're all so good!
    I love the weirder stuff like Limburger and the fancy artisanal cheeses that are becoming popular now, but my favorites are aged cheddar (10 plus years is the BEST STUFF) and Pleasant Ridge Reserve.
    Also no joke in this state every grocery store has 2+ aisles of just different cheese it's pretty great

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
  3. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Heaven... And simultaneously hell

4. Clicks

Clicks The All Consuming Dread

I realised that I really fucking like brie. I've been eating it in wedge form, but trying it with honey on toast sounds like it could be a good time. I also just bought some Havarti; any suggestions for it?

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  5. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

Brie is a really wonderful cheese served pretty much any way! I am pretty fond of wrapping it in pastry, fruit and honey and baking it, but eating it plain is nice too.
    Havarti is fucking wonderful for grilled cheese sandwiches! It's mostly what I use it for.
    It meshes really well with dill, horseradish or garlic flavors, also.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  6. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Im thinking this thread wants to stay pretty cheese positive in general so i wont suggest what i think you should do with the havarti, and instead inform you brie goes insanely well with strawberries! Also i really like it with blackberry preserves and unsalted pita chips, its really decadent

• Like x 2
  7. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Over the last couple of years, I have come to appreciate really strongly flavored cheese like Stilton combined with "opposite" strong flavors like port.

You only need a little bit to just light up your mouth. It's not really eating and more like deliberately tweaking your tastebuds.

ETA: It's kind of like wine. Somebody told me that good wine isn't supposed to taste "good". It's supposed to taste "interesting". A little light bulb went off in my head then.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  8. Clicks

Clicks The All Consuming Dread

#reported for lying about havarti
    I only have shitty white bread, so I just ate it with crackers and it was ace.

So far what I'm hearing is that brie is the jack of all cheese and goes great with everything

• Like x 3
  9. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

Brie goes best with sweeter, mellow flavors like fruit, grains or honey. Same with goat cheese. It's possible to get it to mesh with more savory flavors, but other cheeses are far better for that so I've never bothered. Cheddar is a really good jack-of-all-trades to pair with savories!
    You do you, though!

10. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

H A V A R T I. W I T H. D I L L. <3

• Winner x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice