Chills, Thrills and Spills: A Horror Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Newlyread, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

Watching the Boris Karloff documentary on shudder and realizing I knew absolutely nothing about him. I've heard his name before but I never realized he was in horror movies. I've never actually seen the Frankenstein movie, and I've never seen the original Mummy movie either. I wonder if I could find them online?

• Agree x 1
  2. Wormwitch

The Power: 4/5 reminded me of The Tokoloshe, another ghost story set in a hospital.
    Martyrs Lane: 4/5 good child actors but it was a bit slow

3. Wormwitch

I don't think a wendigo would care people are drilling for oil. This was a good little eco horror film until the terrible cgi monster.

• Witnessed x 1
  4. Wormwitch

The Mummy with Boris Karloff is very different from The Mummy with Brendan Fraser.
    What really threw me for a loop was Ardeth and Imhotep being the same character. Ardeth was my favorite character in the mummy remake.

• Useful x 1
  5. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

may have asked this before, but I watched jurassic park very young (around 4-5) and have been enthralled since, and was shocked when I tried to watch it with some friends and they said they didn't like horror movies. Is Jurassic park a horror movie??? Imo it's just a sci-fi

6. Wormwitch

I sort of consider it horror? I've always thought of it as a monster movie, and it's got it's terrifying moments.

• Informative x 2
  7. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Hmmm, maybe I'm just desensitized to it? It's always been like, and as much as I hate to say it, Ian Malcolm was right and they're just misplaced animals trying to do what they do imo. I mean. I guess there's other movies called horror that have the same theme but it's just the way of things and doesn't scare me personally

I can see how it'd terrify others though now that I think about it. I've got special interest bias

• Like x 2
  8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Tbf I don't count any of the alien series or The Thing as horror either for vaguely the same reasons, but for those ones I do at least consider them horror for others

Generally if it breaks my suspension of disbelief I don't fear it. Now if I were to have played a video game with the same plots (including JP) I'd be a lot more scared because of the heightened immersion. The resident evil movies make me laugh for the most part but the games leave me terrified

9. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

The Thing and Alien are definitely both horror. Jurassic Park is more of a weird edge case in my brain, though I would say that given how the film often functions I would count it as horror. Only the first one I would really say counts as horror though. Because the first one really has like horror film editing and pacing going on. But like if I were asked off the cuff what kind of movie it is I'd say that it was a monster movie, which may or may not be also horror films.

Horror in general I don't judge by "Does it scare me?" but instead by a series of filmmaking tricks and traits that are meant to result in a "horrified" reaction. This is often via fear, but sometimes it is via disgust or something else like that. There's also horror comedy genres which...They aren't TECHNICALLY horror but I do consider them "horror" in that they're like...Part of the general sphere of horror? Zomcoms and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 draw so much from horror that it feels disingenuous to me to totally consider them distinct.

• Agree x 2
    • Useful x 1
  10. Wormwitch

Trailer for Jordan Peele's movie Nope

• Agree x 1
  11. Wormwitch

They Live In the Grey: 3/5
    Not really my kind of horror movie, actually made me cry though. This is the second movie I've seen that deals with grief over the loss of a child and included the 2 truths and 1 lie game.

12. Wormwitch

Was checking to see what movie theatres were near me and there's an amc, and the website had a separate page for amc thrills & chills so I clicked on it to see if it mentioned when Nope would be coming out. Anyway that's how I found out Foo Fighters made a horror movie called Studio 666 that's in theatres now. Has anyone seen this movie or even heard anything about it? I've seen commercials for Nope and X and Morbius, but none for Studio 666.

13. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I remember a while back YouTube was absolutely burying me in ads for that movie, here's the official promo. I think it's less horror and more dark comedy:

• Informative x 1
  14. Wormwitch

The found footage phenomenon is a fun little documentary about the found footage horror genre, I really enjoyed it!

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  15. Wormwitch

Rewatching Creep because I wanted to watch Creep 2 but I couldn't remember what happened in the first movie. I remember not liking Creep the first time because I didn't find it interesting, but I think it's starting to grow on me.

16. Wormwitch

More animated versions of Junji Ito's comics could be good, but after the last animated series was kind of a let down I'm not getting my hopes up.

• Like x 1
  17. Wormwitch

More fun horror shows from Netflix! Really excited for cabinet of curiosities.

18. Wormwitch

Getting really into Thai/Korean/Malaysian horror lately. Any recommendations? Watched Goedam, and The Whole Truth today. Started watching Sweet Home also.

19. Wormwitch

A Classic Horror Story was very good until the ending, which I thought was a bit goofy.
    5 people doing a ride share end up in a dangerous situation in the middle of the woods after the driver crashes while trying to avoid a dead animal in the road. Turns out the guy who owns the van is in the mafia and he makes snuff films for money. It was really a good movie until that last scene with the Bloodflixx Netflix ripoff thing. The movie should have ended when she walked out of the forest and saw the beach. I gasped out loud when you see that the woman running the operation is the mayor mentioned in the beginning of the movie, the one the newspaper said was cracking down on crime. Actors were great, especially the teen girl. When the twist comes and you find out she's in on the snuff film thing, her attitude does a complete one eighty when she goes from terrified victim to bratty actress. When the one survivor blasted her with a shotgun I was so happy!
    Otherwise I thought the movie was great, 4/5 stars.

• Winner x 1
  20. Wormwitch

Undocumented immigrant Ambar moves into boarding house, and starts experiencing creepy shit. I really liked this movie, and if you liked The Ritual, you will probably also like this movie. I give this one 4.5/5.
    No One Gets Out Alive is based off a book by Adam Nevill, the same guy who wrote The Ritual, and you can tell because the monster/god at the end of the movie is one of the most original I've ever seen in a horror movie. I mean look at her! There's a head in between her arms that she uses to bite off the heads of her unfortunate sacrifices. Screenshot (7).png

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice