Chills, Thrills and Spills: A Horror Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Newlyread, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

It has potential, the trailer gives me The Ring vibes

2. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

Trailer for Guillermo Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities is out!

3. Wormwitch

Watched my first Joe Bob episode today, and it was the Things episode. I was uh...not prepared for how bad this movie would be.

4. Wormwitch

Lokis: The Manuscript of Professor Wulfenbach: 4/5 A well acted beautifully shot movie, which I enjoyed even though it was a bit slow. It's listed under the folk horror section on shudder, but I think it's closer to gothic horror.
    Roh: 3.5/5 Not very scary, I actually felt really bad for the family. Reminds me a bit of The Wailing where you don't know who is the real enemy until the end and with supernatural forces humans can't fight.

5. Jemmy

Jemmy Don't Do A Hit

I've been working on a horrotober list where I try and give a running story in the pictures. ive been having a lot of fun, and i think it suits this thread? so,

[​IMG]

MaryJane Doe, a reporter with a chip on her shoulder about her past… Will she be able to uncover the mysteries of Mayberry and the evil that lurks there? Or will she fall prey to the town as so many others have?

[​IMG]
    "
    Day 1- It’s just a shadow [ sometimes things aren’t what they seem ]

Geeze…Just stepping into town and already MaryJane’s neck is absolutely killing her. But hey, what can you expect from a long bus ride?"

[​IMG]
    "Day 2: Big sharp blades

The first link MaryJane found led her to a strangely dark, practically empty house. But she’s willing to risk anything, to follow up on the leads she needs… "

[​IMG]
    "Day 3. This place gives me the willies

He has to know, right? Is he pretending not to just to see how you’ll react? Or is he really so self absorbed that he doesn’t notice the things staring at the two of you, making your skin crawl every second you’re on this street."

[​IMG]
    "Day 4: The Undead

Clearly the town isn’t going to be helpful during the day. But there’s always night time, and with it comes its own set of problems… "

[​IMG]
    "Day 5- Dressing Up

When she got back to the hotel there was a letter and a box waiting for her. Sure, it doesn’t bode well but…a lead’s a lead. "

• Winner x 2
  6. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Yo @Wormwitch have any good werewolf movies come out on shudder recently I feel like you're the one to ask

Also I love your reviews

• Agree x 1
  7. Wormwitch

It depends on what you mean by recently haha. Here are some movies I enjoyed that they still have: Brotherhood of the Wolf (2002), Howl (2015), Good Manners (2018), and Wilczyca (1983). Also not a werewolf movie but sort of similar is Edge of the Knife where a man is transformed into a supernatural being.

One more movie I recommend that shudder doesn't have but tubi does and that's The Company of Wolves.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    • Winner x 1
  8. PotteryWalrus

Howl I've seen, and company of wolves, but imma check out the rest thank you!!

9. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

Brotherhood of the Wolf is the French one that's loosely based on the Beast of Gevaudan, right?

• Winner x 1
  10. Wormwitch

Yes.

• Winner x 1
  11. Wormwitch

Deadstream: 4.5/5 This movie was great, I'm surprised it didn't grate on me. I think the main actor did a great job playing an annoying livestreamer who's terrified for his life.
    I think my favorite part is when after he destroys the thing keeping the evil spirits at bay, he sees a video of the old woman who made the sigil and when she's told that he destroyed it she just straight up says "oh shit, he's going to die" Also right after he destroys the hamsa the evil ghost shows up pretending to be a big fan of his, and the chat likes her more than him.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
    • Agree x 1
  12. Jemmy

Jemmy Don't Do A Hit

okay i just listened to the first episode of the podcast Mayfield Watchers Society and i was SICK with anxiety so 10/10 podcast recc from me

13. Jemmy

Jemmy Don't Do A Hit

Oh right! the next f...f six? however many pics this is. in horrortober! some im REALLY proud of

[​IMG]
    6. Dummies dolls and mannequins
    At first she’d thought it was a prank. No one else was there besides her and one other person. But then it became quickly, painfully clear how not only were they not alone, they were the main entertainment for the night.

The stranger told her secrets whispered in twirls and holds. And then he told her to run.
    [​IMG]
    7. Masked murderer
    He told you to run.
    [​IMG]
    8. Evil cult, Evil ritual
    It was impossible to find any sanction in town. Even the church was warped, although judging by the priest’s ravings it may have been like that before…

[​IMG]
    9. Spooky scary skeletons
    The hallways are empty of all but the dead… She never thought she’d be so thankful to see a bunch of probably-stolen skeletons in her LIFE.

[​IMG]
    10. Defamiliarize the familiar
    It’s fine so long as she doesn’t look. Nothing can hurt her if she doesn’t look.

[​IMG]
    11. The animals have turned
    She could only watch, helpless and unwilling to catch the ire of the creature on top of him. It met her eyes as it tore, and she could see the endless hunger in them. She fled.
    [​IMG]
    12. Cleansing flame
    The sight of the church burning in the background didn’t fill her with nearly as much terror as the figure slowly making her way towards her…

• Winner x 1
  14. Wormwitch

Offseason 3.5/5
    Interesting making the villain the island itself maybe? I wasn't sure if it was a god they worship that's doing this to them or not. When people die on the island it takes control of their bodies. It even says the island is the palm of it's hand and the people are it's fingers. Ok, I guess it was a god, but the scene was so dark I can't tell what exactly I was looking at. Something huge came out of the ocean, and then she gets possessed. But it was kind of ruined by the terrible echoey voice effect and some of the acting. Are there any other movies where there's a genius loci as the evil? I think the only one I've seen is the Rose Red miniseries where the house is killing people so it can keep expanding.
    Are there any movies where the land itself is the evil force?

15. Wormwitch

She Will: 4/5 Not very scary, more dreamlike than anything, which makes sense considering the plot. An aging actress and her nurse go to a countryside retreat so she can recover from surgery. While there she begins having strange dreams and learns that witches were burned where the retreat is now. Might have to watch it again because I was doing other things while the movie was playing, and now I'm not entirely sure what happened exactly.
    I think the character played by Malcolm McDowell sexually assaulted Alice Krige's character when she was a younger up and coming actress? And during the retreat she's gains power of some kind and uses it to light a couple of men on fire, and also has one eaten alive by bugs? There was also that bit with the painting which didn't get explained in the movie?

16. Wormwitch

Going to be binge watching Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities today and adding my thought as I go. Each episode is about an hour long and has a different director.

Main character is an asshole who owes someone a lot of money, so he needs it fast. He goes to an auction for storage units formally owned by people who couldn't pay. He wins the auction for lot 36. Before he goes to open the unit, the man who owns the building tells him the renter would come everyday and acted strangely before entering the unit.

Main asshole leaves and another renter comes in, she and the owner have an argument about the space she was renting when the owner realizes he screwed up and shouldn't have auctioned off her unit. Tells her to talk to asshole and maybe she'll get some stuff back. Of course asshole tells her to fuck off and learn to speak English too. This comes back to bite him in the ass hard later.

He goes and digs around in the dead guys things and finds a candelabra, some chairs and a table that he thinks could be valuable, so he brings them to an appraiser. She tells him the table was used for seances and activates a hidden switch that causes a hidden drawer to open. Inside are three occult books.

She leaves to call a friend and he comes right away because the books are very rare. Occult man tells asshole that if he can get the fourth book he'll get a check for $300,000. So they decide to go right back to the unit, and they bring the candelabra.

Occult fan tells asshole that he knew the man who rented that unit. He was well known in Austria for occult shit and that he used his own sister as a vessel for a demon. Asshole tells him to shut up and that he doesn't believe in that stuff.

The get to the unit and start going through everything when they discover an extra space and start exploring. Occult fan lights candles in the candelabra and says it will protect them. There's papers and crosses all over the wall leading back to another room.

Inside the room is what appears to be a faceless dessicated corpse and a book on a nearby lectern. Occult tells asshole not to cross the doorway but of course he rushes right over to the book and wakes up the demon. Occult gets eaten right away and the book catches on fire so asshole drops it and runs.

He and the demon are just running around the building when he gets to a door and thinks he can leave. The door is locked though and Amelia (the woman he told to go fuck herself at the beginning) is on the other side. He tells her his life is in danger and begs her to open the door. She just silently lifts the padlock he'd given her (the only thing she had left from a unit filled with family photos and letters) and walks away. He tries another escape route and runs straight into the demon and gets eaten.

Really liked this one, so 4.5/5.

17. Wormwitch

I'm not doing a review of episode 2 but episode 3 was 5/5 for me.
    coroner is called in to look at some bodies involved in a missing persons case. This one was super horrifying to me because I hate the thought of body snatchers. The first man to go missing went out to watch a meteor shower and never came back, you can guess what happened to him. Basically this alien came from space started stealing bodies and now wants to steal the coroner's. Except the alien forgot the coroner left the tape running because that's what coroner's do. So now the aliens whole monologue about his kind and what he's planning to do is on there. The coroner also blinded himself I think? And used his own blood to write the words listen to tape burn body on his own chest.
    Episode 3 made me so uncomfortable that I need to take a break for now, but I'll come back to the other episodes later.

18. Wormwitch

Episode 4 was ok 3/5. Episodes 5 and 6 where Lovecraft stories and I've never been a big fan of his. Episode 7 was interesting at first but I didn't like the second half. Only episode left to watch is episode 8.

19. PotteryWalrus

When we say Lovecraft stories, do you mean direct adaptations or is there less racism and problematique stuff? Love me a good eldritch horror, less keen on a guy who named his cat a slur.

I wasn't that impressed by Lot 36, tbh. It was just too depressing to watch a crooked, petty man be crooked and petty. The demon's design was pretty good, though, there was no tension with how quickly it appeared and then moved like a Nurse from Silent Hill XD

20. Wormwitch

The stories were Pickman's Model and Dreams in the Witch House and they didn't follow the stories exactly, but the basic plot from the stories were there.

• Winner x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice