Chills, Thrills and Spills: A Horror Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Newlyread, Jun 22, 2015.

1. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

Someone please explain to me what is Marble Hornets.

2. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

A youtube series that is focused on the slender man mythos, with the first part being someone going through a missing friend's tapes and noticing some weird things, weirder than their friend being obsessed with recording themselves constantly. .. I'm still not too far in, do this isn't the best summary. :p

3. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

Yeah, like Zin said, it's the origin of Slenderman. All found footage, some videos only being a few minutes long. It's a slow build and it's not for everyone!

This new series they're doing, I've got no idea. But I'm into it.

• Like x 2
  4. Lambda

Lambda everything happens so much

This is a long-shot probably, but I've been on and off looking for a video that I don't think was Marble Hornets, but another Slenderman thing? It had

this shot across water, I think, towards a city in the distance and all these enormous slenderman-y tentacles appeared over it?

(if this multi-posts I'm really sorry, ugh)

edit for: an actual description this time

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  5. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

If you posted a picture under your spoiler cut, it didn't go through, Lambda. :o

6. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

DUDE I'm excite.
    I actually had a hard time watching it originally, cause it just felt so SLOW. But the answer to that was watch with friends/
    I AM SO INTERESTED GODSDAMN

• Like x 2
  7. Lambda

@Ruevian

Yeah, I realized I messed it up just as my internet briefly exploded, so embarassing, brb editing.

• Like x 1
  8. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

Sounds more like Cthulhu mythos than Slenderman! Specifically the sunken city of R'lyeh. Unfortunately, what you describe is a little too vague to ping any suggestions I could have. Sorry! Sounds cool though.

• Like x 1
  9. emythos

Yeah, idk. I'd like to see that though, sounds cool.

10. Lambda

As awesome as a cthulhu webvideo series would be, I really do remember it as something I found through a slenderman masterpost on tumblr, or something of the like, and it had Marble Hornets-like distortions. Not the easiest thing to google, unfortunately.

• Like x 2
  11. emythos

Maybe look up slenderverse masterposts and go through until something pings?

12. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

Huh...yeah, I'll keep an eye out.

I tried googling and couldn't find anything but this sweet ass wallpaper I might use:

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  13. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

14. emythos

argh that tumblr makes me want to watch a new slendervlog, but like, WHICH ONE???

15. glitterchance

glitterchance 34 Vigilant Gaze Engulfs the Void

I think you might be thinking of Tribe Twelve? It's a Slenderman vlog series, and the creator uses a lot of animated tentacles. Link: https://www.youtube.com/user/TribeTwelve

• Like x 1
  16. emythos

Even if it wasn't Tribe Twelve, I vote you watch it, cause it's fun.

• Like x 1
  17. blue

blue hightown funk you up

for the record, mh wasn't the origin of slenderman - just the way it got popular. slenderman came from a Something Awful thread, which started out as "let's make fake paranormal photos-" but then Victor Surge's photo, with a creepy-ass tall faceless guy, made such an impression that the thread got taken over by many slenderman-themed efforts. and then some distance into the thread this guy comes in, saying that his friend Alex left him some tapes, and he was supposed to burn them but instead he's been watching them and he's seen some creepy shit..

• Like x 4
  18. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

Ah, okay. I was under the impression somehow that it was a music thing, and then I was confused.

19. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

oh man, ive been meaning to dig into the slenderman mythos for ages now and i never got around to actually doing it

ive got a kinda weird relationship with horror, gore is quite boring (factory-issue female parts, as well as a tendency to get nosebleeds whenever ive got a nasty cold or the air is too dry, so blood is pretty normal for me), similarily with monsters. and i can't stand jump scares.
    what gets to me is atmosphere. emptiness, decay, old wood creaking, the wind opening or closing curtains, windows, and doors. that's what my imagination picks up and runs with. kind of overreactively, really. i've been scared of the darker corners of our basement. depending on my current mood, i get spooked by the dark corners behind the mailboxes. the bad things are the further you go down. it's safer further upwards. it's safer out in the open, where i can feel the wind.

so yeah, the stuff that gets to me is atmosphere. like, there is exactly one hostile entity in the entirety of the game The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, and there's still parts where I need to take a break because fuck that area is scary.
    (I'm kinda an urbex fan, urban horror stuff is great. everyday setup, and then you slowly realize that something weird is going on under it all. especially if golden summer is part of the setting, and then it can be more rural, too. just that underlying feeling that leads to the slow, creeping realization that something is going wrong here)

that being said,
    this. so much.
    pan's labyrinth was great. although the abuse drama around it gives a frame for why ofelia so desperately wants away from all of that. escapist fantasy, shit's bad but hey maybe i'm really a long lost fairy princess and if i can just complete these tasks, i can get away and then things will be better.

the original "The Birds" short story was pretty creepy tbh. it had a beautiful mixture of "things are getting weird", "shit is getting real", "why is this even happening??" and people adjusting to try and survive. and no ending to speak of. it just showed the change of the status quo. no why, no how, no big resistance, just that.

and SCP-087 will forever fuck me up. jegus.

• Like x 3
  20. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

okay so i only started watching it but Holy Shit i found this show called helix and it is really something else! i've seen it around and hadn't really thought about checking it out until now simply because it's a syfy channel original and those tend to be...let's just say, not very good. at all. i was expecting it to be shit but to my utter surprise, it's actually really decent.

plot

"Helix is a strange show. The show is both deadly serious and deliciously satiric, as exemplified by the title sequence where blood drips to the tune of elevator music. At times this unique mixture works; at others it becomes farcical. Helix is about a virus that breaks out in a mysterious science facility located deep in the Arctic. The virus causes humans to become violent zombies; a group of scientists (our protagonists) are sent to control the situation."

trivia

Repurposed from Moore's take on "The Thing" which was planned as a 6 to 8 hour mini-series on SyFy with participation from Frank Darabont at one point.

the special effects are also really really cool imo

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice