clicky clicky jaw D:

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by jacktrash, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Soul

Soul Covered in bees

Yeah man, I've got something like 60% bone loss on one side, 40% on the other. And the problem with jaw surgery is it can cause as many problems as it fixes, or more, and to heal from it you have to have your mouth wired shut for upwards of two months. Luckily the PT has helped my jaw from getting too much worse, so I haven't had to have surgery.

2. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

it's still happening, still not painful, just annoying. i think i'll ask my physical therapist when i go in for ultrasound on my hip. my whole body's been creaky and clicky and painful lately, and inflammation does tend to be a whole-body thing.

3. TrillianAri

TrillianAri 5'7" of whelm on a 5'4" frame.

Oh man, I'm so sorry - TMJ is the worst and it runs in my family like gangbusters. I'm pretty sure I've also got it as clenching and grinding whilst asleep has been A Thing for me and tension headaches abound. Anywho, I had a voice teacher who swore by a particular mindfulness technique. She had terrible TMJ and it would get in the way of her performances and so daily, while watching herself in a mirror, she would place a finger in front of her mouth as though she were saying "shush" and then slowly relax her jaw and open and close her mouth while watching for the telltale jerks to the side that TMJ gives or the tense spots or clicks. She'd continue to do this until she could get it to open and shut smoothly a few times. You look a little like a librarian fishie but it does tend to help me and I can't say I've done it long enough to get long term results but she says it's a pretty common voice technique for vocalists with jaw issues. Hope it helps!

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice