Clothes, makeup, hair, and other such things

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Acey, Jun 24, 2015.

1. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

i'm so glad i had some spare makeup sponges lying around, i thought i was gonna have to use my fingers and hope for the best

• Witnessed x 1
  2. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I actually tend to do a better job with my fingers, sponges just always seem to take the foundation right back off.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Is it too recherché of me to plan my wardrobe around a combination of military shirts, fishnet sleeves and sequinned socks

Combat Gay

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  4. Dragon Drop

Dragon Drop New Member

I've always really loved long coats but I'm very tall and also my broad shoulders and thick arms limit me mostly jackets made for Men, which are usually shorter than those made for Women. Last year I bought two grey wool greatcoats and cut one up to make the other one floor-length and hooded. I just did the exact same thing with two similar black wool coats I thrifted. It's amazingly satisfying having coats that fit me and are also the right (impractical) length and I wanted to post in order to brag but also to say that if anyone is in a similar position, this is actually pretty easy to do and not have it look obvious, even if you're shit at sewing like me. People never notice until I point it out and even then sometimes it takes them a minute to actually see the join. Here's me wearing the greatcoat - perhaps not super useful but the only picture I have of the full length
    22050112_10155750437111100_1789170963886948209_n.jpg

• Winner x 10
    • Like x 1
  5. ZeroEsper

ZeroEsper Well-Known Member

Just so everyone knows, H&M is having a huge sale right now to get rid of their winter stuff. I got a coat for $10. There's also pants and sweaters. Might be worth checking out if anyone has been needing more winter stuff.

• Useful x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  6. ZeroEsper

[​IMG]

If you can pardon the mess. It's my $10 coat! Yes, the collar does fold down across my shoulders so that I look like a rich woman whose husband went missing under very mysterious circumstances, isn't that tragic, oh also she's the sole heir, WEIRD.

Also I don't know if this picture will show up, so I'm gonna toy with it until it does :)

EDIT: okay for me it's showing up, but I don't know if that means anything.

My hands look less malformed in person and when my nails are longer. They've always looked a little wonky.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    • Winner x 6
    • Like x 1
  7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

It hit me very suddenly, as ideas often do, that I'm in dire need of a calligraphy-print skater dress. Such an item is not to be found; if I get the material, I can ask my grandmother to give me a hand in making one. Making clothes would solve a lot of my problems. Obvious problem though is I'm having trouble finding the right material. All the ones I can find have tiny print which wouldn't be visible from a distance - I'm picturing big fat ink-blotty letters - and most of them are meant for curtains. Do we have a making-clothes thread?

8. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

If you can draw what you want, there's always Spoonflower.com --or, someone else there might have made the thing you want.

9. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I have a very clear image of the type of print I want but I don't know what words would be in the script.

10. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

nonsense in french is popular :P
    Or a poem you like

11. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

Nonsense is fine, poems are great, just...if it's in another language have someone look at it.

There was this beautiful Japanese skirt that I didn't get because I couldn't stand the idea of walking around in something with the words "toy milk au lait please" embroidered prominently upon it.

• Agree x 2
    • Witnessed x 1
  12. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

Can someone assist? I've got a dye my dad recced but he's in another state and also at work. It says to "heat treat" for 15 minutes. Looking online people talk about "sitting under the dryer" and I'm kind of ??? on what this means. Can I just attack my head with a blow dryer? Looking at video tutorials people either skip that part or people just wait without applying heat, but I can't find a single video that isn't either a wig dye or a very different hair texture so it might be that?

I may be fixating on this one detail because anxiety but if someone can explain that would be great.

13. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

It's usually those heaters that you sit under at the salon, but I think if you have the diffuser attachment for your hairdryer you can use it in a low heat. Like from what I know dyes ask for heat because it shortens the time needed for the chemical reaction, so technically you can also go without it if you wait longer?

• Informative x 2
  14. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

So I´m considering cutting my hair but I´m not sure yet, nor am I sure what style.
    Could anyone throw suggestions, ideally with pictures, of nonbinary haircuts at me?
    Only thing I don´t really want is the nonbinary undercut (TM). Nothing against it, just not what I want.

• Like x 1
  15. IvyLB

[​IMG]
    EITHER OF THESE?
    (probably might be able to get something like this by going for like. Shoulder Length Shaggy Masculine Cut or sth?)

• Like x 2
  16. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

[​IMG]
    Something like this, perhaps? Doesn't read as strongly gendered to me, and I think it's super cute, but ymmv!

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 2
  17. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I really like those. They emit a sense of power. Makes me think of lions?

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  18. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

So I MUST recommend a line of lippies: Super Stay Matte Ink by Maybelline.

Seriously, this stuff is AMAZING. It lasts a long time (especially with primer, but even without primer the wear time is pretty great), it’s very pigmented (I’ve never needed more than two layers at MOST—usually I just need one), and the packaging matches the colors SUPER well, so you know exactly what you’re gonna get!!

32817E2B-606B-4F27-8F5A-A23AFA910E19.jpeg A2D7E5B0-2563-4F43-90EA-5A48090E1B37.jpeg

(They only look shiny in the swatches bc they're very freshly-applied there; they dry to a very nice matte!)

It’s not super cheap, but it’s within reasonable drugstore makeup range (I think the most I’ve seen it sold for is $11, usually closer to $9 I think?), as far as price goes.

Anyway, I’ve just totally fallen in love with these. (They need to make a black one so I’ll finally have the perfect black lippie...)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    • Useful x 1
  19. ZeroEsper

Does anyone have any recommendation for foundation brands? I think I left my liquid foundation on the sink at work, which means it got tossed. I'm going to Ulta this afternoon. I don't live near a Sephora and I'd rather not order online - my skin is really problematic (combination and soooo sensitive). I want to spend under 25 ideally. Also I can't wear any of the Clinique or Bareminerals products I've tested because they all cast too dark on my skin.

20. IvyLB

Not sure exactly which way your sensitivities lie and whether it is available where you live but I use the Kiko Milano Mat Mousse Foundation in 05 Natural Beige which shakes out to a decent neutral tone that neither clashes with my yellow-ish undertones by overcorrecting nor does it make me look like my liver is giving out. There's a decent range of undertones all with at least one shade lighter than mine still so that's worth a try maybe? It's nicely full coverage but I know not everyone is a fan of mousse-foundations for texture.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice