Colour Perception (and a request for help)

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by budgie, Oct 4, 2015.

1. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

the next time i use google forms to host a survey, i will be sure to tick off the option that allows you to have your answers sent to yourself (it's the first time i've ever used it, so it was a learning experience)

here is a link to a spreadsheet with the answers minus anything identifying. sheet 2 was me sorting things: C is any of the basic colours i listed above, c + mod is any of those + an adjective (dark, light, etc. but also -ish and -y), noun refers to anything tangible like eggshell and lilac, and other is everything else.

• Like x 1
  2. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

@budgie I think you need to alter the privacy settings, it won't show up :(

• Like x 1
  3. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

@budgie the thing is saying i need to do a thing to ask you for permission. to press a button that says, "request access."

4. budgie

whoops, ty for the heads up; should be cooperating now

• Like x 1
  5. prismaticvoid

Okay my favorite for the kumato is "there isn't a bloody WORD for this color"

• Like x 3
  6. Imoyram

Imoyram Well-Known Member

I think I am 5 on the spreadsheet, I remember specifying the veins and the leaves in that way, which is the last question. (also the gender and colour blind checks out right)
    (5 is the fourth row down in answers, but is numbered as 5 in the side numbers)

7. blue

blue hightown funk you up

My favorites:

• "...Eggplant :v"
    • "blood"
    • "Unpleasant red-pink"
    • "red. beet red, even"
    • "artist's purple"
    • "rotten"
    • Row 45 who keeps putting exclamation points after their answers
    • "Grape jelly purple"
    • "fluro green"
    • "A different green."
    • "firebrick"
    • "biscuit"
    • "topax"
    • "bone ivory"
    • "???"

• Like x 1
  8. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Well, purple is no longer a word to my eyes.

And I'm still trying to find mine! I know I put "pale" for low saturation and "light" for high value on a few of them, but...

• Like x 1
  9. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

this was me!! :ppp

• Like x 3
  10. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

11. budgie

at one point i was staring at the word green and wondering if it was a real word

semantic satiation is a trippy thing

• Like x 4
  12. prismaticvoid

That happens to me with brown a lot. Think it's the w.

• Like x 1
  13. pixels

pixels hiatus / only back to vent

i'm so late but did someone already mention that blue and green were not separate words in japanese until stoplights

like i only know this because pokemon and pokedex colors of pokemon, and then i did more reading and found out: blue and green are just. literally the same color. the entire spectrum from blue to green. all one color. but then stoplights happened and the japanese went wait those are probably two different things so to avoid disturbing westerners and also their own language they just invented a word for green that specifically means the "green for go" stoplight color.

i'm done with colorsperging now.

• Like x 11
  14. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

That pops up in a few other languages too, the green and blue having the same word thing. Irish is another language like that that I can think of off the top of my head. Gorm being the word that can be either green or blue. There's a series of other words for different types of blues and green in general has its own word now. But gorm can be used for both. Or could at some point anyway. Not sure how it stands in usage now? There's some other colors this happens with too!

It's so common in fact that linguists do studies on this shit. And how what language you speak affects your color perception.

15. oph

oph There was a user here, but it's gone now

I thought Irish went the other way, with glas (green) being used for both green and blue, and adopting gorm (from Welsh "gwrm") for blue later on?

16. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Ah it might be that actually. Get words mixed up at times, especially with languages I don't know well. Thanks for pointing that out.

• Like x 1
  17. Hobo

Hobo HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

Haha that was me! I am apparently also a fan of describing colours as 'X-ey Y'. I'm finding the differences in answers for column D really interesting, they seem really wide ranging compared to the others. Which picture did that correspond to?

18. budgie

d was the funky 'graffiti eggplant'

19. EulersBidentity

EulersBidentity e^i*[bi] + 1

I'm biscuit and bone ivory. And apparently I was thinking about knitting, because I don't remember typing "variegated red". Lol.

20. kmoss

kmoss whoops

oh i just found mine, because i said "blood orange" and then giggled about it for a solid minute

• Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice