Comic Artists Support Thread

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by Codeless, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Scream about the comic you´re drawing here.

Currently: Rendering darkness sucks. The rest of this comic is taking place in well lit places.
    @Bel Capricorn @peripheral

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  2. Piratical

Piratical Dis-member

I have had an empty canvas open for chapter 2 of my comic for three days straight. @_@;;; During that I've managed to rough out TWO completely unrelated fancomics, but my personal project that I'm super passionate about? NAAAAH.

• Like x 1
  3. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

I've been putting off starting this comic for almost a year. A year! What am I doing with my life?

• Like x 1
  4. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

Why did I think drawing an action comic would be a good idea, help meeeeeeeee.

And I'm once again working on a side project that I started in late summer last year, intending to finish it in time for Halloween, and though I only have four pages to finish and the style is a lot easier than what I'm doing for Maria, I'm worried that I won't get it done on time this year either. Ah... if only I didn't have jobs and family commitments....

• Like x 1
  5. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Inking. More inking. At least I feel like I´ve gotten the process a fast as it´s going to get.

• Like x 2
  6. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Good luck to you friends.

To me: why do I always have interesting delivery concepts without a plot behind them? DX

• Like x 1
  7. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Fucking retcon. Guess who´s gotta redraw a whole page?
    Edit: ooor maybe not. Page 0 to the recue

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    • Like x 2
  8. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

Been working over a story in my head for over a year and plotting out story and characters. Got three pages complete and several more sketched out and.. ran completely out of spoons then mental health took a hit and I'm crawling back upright.

Just gotta get the confidence to actually let it see the light of day.

9. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

@jacktrash You had Metanoia for a while, do you have any tips on dealing with the pressure to keep oneself from burning out?

10. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

haha nope, i could REALLY use that kind of advice myself. :P

11. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Well damn.
    Something I am trying though: Outsourcing the lettering and some inking to Mirrors, which they can do better digitally than I traditionally.

12. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

I HAVE NEVER LETTERED A THING IN MY LIFE BUT GOSH I'LL GIVE IT A GO

• Like x 1
  13. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

You cannot possibly do worse than me. Also you are removing so much stress. -hugs-

In conclusion, helpy friends are helpful. Err, news at 11.

• Like x 1
  14. jacktrash

you know, i really enjoy inking. maybe once i'm no longer so overloaded from weekly clinic visits, i'll offer to ink for someone. digital inking is joy.

• Like x 1
  15. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I usually enjoy it as well, but being a traditional artist, I ran into material issues. (The paper Im´ using can´t handle the ink, and thicker paper would be expensive and impractical)

16. jacktrash

try cardstock, the kind that comes in big packs for printers! it'll run you about $12-$15 for 250 sheets, and you can run it through the printer to print any margin guidelines or whatever before starting. it also seems to erase cleaner than art paper, if you do gray pencil and erase rather than blue pencil and color-tune it out.

• Like x 2
  17. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Thanks! I used to get the blocks from the art shop, but those are expensive. (Still a relief to ark out the big black areas and know my work is done there.)

18. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

*throws pens at @peripheral * write me a goddamned script

19. mrozna

mrozna bloodthirsty hussar fuck

Working on the cover right now. I wanted something minimalistic, turned out... not so minimalistic, but still, I kinda like it. I hope my goddamned perfectionism doesn't ruin it for me >:V

• Like x 1
  20. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

*excited screaming*

I finally started posting that side project. I'm still working on the last two pages and I sort of want to go back and change some things in earlier ones, and I had to push this week's page of Maria back in order to get the other pages done, but I did it. The cover and first three pages are up here and the rest are going up at twelve-hour intervals. I am so bad at pre-producing things, though, I've had this in the works since last August, I think, and though I got most of the inking done in plenty of time all of the colour/fancy Photoshop filters were done this week. And the cover was done in half a week before it went up on Monday evening, most of it Monday morning/early afternoon. Why am I like this. *flops*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice