Comic Artists Support Thread

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by Codeless, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

Capture.PNG

In which I get the hardest panel out of the way first

• Like x 3
  2. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

where can you read your comic? is it out yet?

3. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

It's here, and it's almost finished--that screenshot is from the last page. :)

Once the last page goes up I'm gonna go back and a) do a little fixing up on the cover and b) add the music, god bless Rush for having an official SoundCloud

4. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

that got Intense real quick oh my

neat work tho!

• Like x 1
  5. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

thank! It's based on this song:

I'd been kinda half-assedly thinking about doing a comic for a long time and then current events kinda turned it into a mental kidney stone that needed passed before I could properly concentrate on lighthearted comics about food-themed countries again.

• Winner x 1
  6. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

Hopefully publish comic today despite being busy as shit (have 1 page left befroe im at 15 pages)

• Winner x 1
  7. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

I FINISHED A WHOLE DAMN COMIC. *falls over*

• Winner x 2
  8. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

Capture2.png

I may have an extra do the "yeah can I get uhhhhhhhhhhh" in the background just because I love that fucking meme but for now here's me avoiding doing actual work

• Like x 2
  9. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

Capture.PNG

all glory to the waf-o-mat

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  10. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

pro: done w 22 pages and 2 covers

con: scared on advertizing on tumblr incase Promblematic

• Witnessed x 2
  11. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

tfw you want people to read your comic but you also kinda don't want people to read your comic because tumblr

• Witnessed x 2
  12. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

Lifehack: in order to avoid Tumblr drama, make sure your fanbase is composed primarily of confused friends and relations, some of whom still aren't sure exactly what this "webcomic" on the "internet" thing is about.

• Useful x 3
  13. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

the only persons that read my comic: discord friendchat and my teacher who hopefully dont kno what dickscrourse is

• Witnessed x 1
  14. Ben

Ben Not entirely unlike a dragon

>looks to see if I posted here before
    >All I posted were broken image links and I have no idea what they were

How did you guys plan out the designs for your main cast?
    Esp. struggles in "how do I pick a design I am willing and able to draw"

I'm having Issues with it rn - started thumbnailing, but I realized I have same-face/outline/body type issues...
    ft. "I can count the number of characters who never have a tail on one hand, and one of them isn't even human"

Backstory: got the ability to punch into new universes by defeating a monster that destroys universes. (Blah blah, very generic.)
    Shows up exclusively in prologue, epilogue, and maybe a teeny bit during another character telling a story. potato quality.png I'm thinking about whether to keep the inhuman facial features or give her a helmet and leave that ambiguous. Also seriously need to give her a costume.

Notable characteristics:
    1. Blue and purple
    2. Glowy/magic wings
    3. Glowy/magic tail which she can coil side-to-side
    4. Basically human posture, but has a lil bit of a floating thing going on
    5. Female/girl but body shape isn't super sexually dimorphic
    Backstory: One of the aforementioned monsters. Shows up silhouetted in prologue. Shows up again much later and makes a claim that Character 1 will *GASP, shocking and non-cliche plot twist* eventually turn into a universe eating monster too... but I'm struggling to make it clear that he doesn't imply that it's anything other than a mental transformation.
    pyrgus retrospective.png
    My intention is to make him walk more kangaroo-like than the sketches here.
    Notable characteristics:
    1. Greens and browns
    2. Stiff tail he can mostly wave up and down.
    3. Hybrid human/raptor dino posture
    4. Kinda scrawny/wiry which tends to translate to ambiguous sex under how I draw the human figure

• Like x 1
  15. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

I like the inhuman facial features! A helmet sounds cool too, though.

The thing that @Key and I did was basically try to make the design a visual representation of the character's personality. So since Rina's solid and down-to-earth we made her a little short and stocky; since Uehara's clever and quick on his feet he has sharp features; since Masao's reserved he's not visually striking. With our two actually-main characters, we were trying to make them the opposite of each other personality-wise, and so their designs came out like that, too - Chika's short and Momiko's tall, Chika's chubby and Momiko is slender, Chika has short straight hair and Momiko has long curly hair.

[​IMG]

We also put quite a bit of thought into what characters wear - who wears a uniform to work, who's more interested in fashion, who's more utilitarian, who doesn't care at all (Rina, Rina doesn't care at all, and I am waiting impatiently for the day when I get to draw her in civilian clothes), et cetera. Another thing we think about is body language. For example, Chika's shy and slouches a lot, always wants her hands occupied and generally has very closed/reserved/anxious body language, while Momiko has great posture, makes expansive gestures, and almost always appears very open and comfortable.

So that's how we go about trying to make characters distinct - expressing their personality through body type, body language, and clothing.

• Like x 1
  16. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

Me: *paints a nice plate of fruit on a tray* dang, that fruit looks good, lemme zoom out to publishing size and--

Capture.PNG

• Winner x 2
    • Witnessed x 2
  17. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

*whispers* A fruit plate for ants

• Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  18. Ben

It's a lovely plate of fruit, though. I would definitely eat it.

Re: character design -
    Yeah! (Also I love the designs of those two :D )
    I think some of my issue rn is that my characters' personalities weren't well developed. The Magical Girl is probably going to keep the alien face, because it matches her alien personality - they're both a little featureless and enigmatic, but not in a threatening way.

• Like x 1
  19. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

upload_2017-6-14_18-43-38.png

ive been lagging behind on this page this week

gonna get it done today?

• Like x 2
  20. Ben

Hey @Kami, is your comic being posted somewhere yet? (It looks fab and I want to meet the tiny alien(?) bug(??) dragon(???).)

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice