Comic Artists Support Thread

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by Codeless, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

@Kami I love the places in the paint over where you had the thorny vines cut into the panel and they're all white and ... I don't know how to describe it, but it looks super cool.

• Like x 1
  2. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

Cries thank u

I am experimenting with panel layout

• Like x 1
  3. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

[​IMG]

I just wanted to figure out where her pupils should be but now she looks like I put those googly plastic eyes on her....

• Winner x 3
  4. Ben

Ben Not entirely unlike a dragon

Kami, you are so brave. Panel layout is the devil.
    I've repaneled the same page like 6 times now. It is Suffering.

• Witnessed x 2
  5. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

(Does anyone have experience using Fuse by adobe as character models? Or know a neat sculpting app for a decent dime)

Ah thank its truley hell and god bless MediBangs panel tool
    If youre having trouble maybe post it here for folks to redline? Nothing wrong with crowdsourcing some advice

6. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

Yeah, if you want people to help troubleshoot, I'd be glad to help. (If I can. Paneling gives me trouble too and my advice usually boils down to "put fewer panels on each page", haha.)

I don't have any experience with sculpting apps ... I use SketchUp a lot for backgrounds but it doesn't do people or animals.

7. Ben

ALRIGHT here we go:
    rip.png
    Things I want to show:
    1. Tiny closeup of "Wolfie," the main character, on the battlefield
    2. Draw back to show"Balu" and the main baddie are fighting an epic angel-with-halberd-vs-dinosaur-mutant battle in some sort of cityscape. Things are probably on fire.
    3. "Wolfie" gets hit hard by the baddie or a generic minion and gets tossed against something. (Irregular panel for shock value)
    4. Balu notices...
    5-6. She rushes over and takes his face in her hands, then , realizes Wolfie has a concussion, and says something to the effect of "Gosh, you're hurt." "I'm going to send you somewhere safe real quick while I finish beating this guy." I think this sequence could do with a few more panels, but that means for sure I have to split pages and I think an entire page of just pitying face-touching is gonna be awkward.

Whole page is meant to have a comic-book vibe, in contrast to a more fantasy-webcomic style most of the rest of the pages are going to have.

I'm debating whether to split this into two pages, but I don't know where to make the break. Value composition/weighting of the page(s) is v. important. I probably want the middle number panels lighter than the early and late ones.

EDIT: it is not nice for general anatomy, but sculptris is cool for modeling alien faces and other organic objects!

• Like x 1
  8. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

If it were me ... hmm, I don't know what you have going on on the next page, but I'd cut the page off after panel 4 and put 5 and 6 on the next page. I don't know about an entire page of pitying face-touching, but you could probably extend it by a panel or two without making things awkward? Since panel 4 is Balu noticing.... Okay, it's hard to explain with just words so have a 20-second Paint panel layout sketch:

mspanel.png

5. Balu moving - a bigger one to show the distance she has to cover, and what the baddie is doing as she ducks out of their fight. Alternatively, just show her feet running - communicates how fast she's moving and the ground she's covering without involving backgrounds on quite such a huge scope. (I'd go with the alternate because I'm lazy eheheh.)
    6. She arrives by Wolfie and takes his face in her hands.
    7. A closeup of the damage she's seeing.
    8. Pull back in the next panel to show both of them as she says her line. Actually, I'd probably put the speech bubble mostly in panel 8 but a bit in panel seven.

That leaves a bit of space at the bottom of the page, though, unless you stretch 6-7-8 out to reach of the bottom, or make 5 longer - which I wouldn't want to do because then it'd look too much like the panel layout from the page before. So I'd be looking to see if I could move anything from the top of the next page to the bottom of this one.

Your comic sounds cool from this excerpt, do you have a website?

9. Ben

:V Seems a little early for that... I really only have 1.5 pages!
    Around 10 pages of passable content (i.e. not necessarily colored and thus 'finished,' but comprehensible) I'm going to start posting. Page order is going to be... a little weird, to reflect what happens on the above (now two) pages

Here's pages 2 and 1, respectively
    IMG_2798.JPG
    needs some work, but I think I finally fixed the bloody lip thing? not htat you can tell from the shit!camera. (my phone camera was broken, hence my sheepish lack of posts about that.)

• Like x 1
  10. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

I like! And yeah, the lip vs. blood distinction looks clear to me.

• Informative x 1
  11. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

I only have 13 Pages to Edit befare im back at my bullshit!! Hell yeah!!

AS a side note does anyone else get bounds of sudden insecurity ala “my story is too weird/niche” “the art is bad” “its bland” etc when writing bc its been hitting kinda hard lately

• Like x 2
  12. Ben

same...
    I have been so busy I made no progress, RIP. Someday I'll get back into it, but not before my math hw is done. For the year.

• Witnessed x 2
  13. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

@Kami you get at "like" for the only-thirteen-pages thing, and this is a "witnessed" for the sudden insecurity thing.

I don't get sudden insecurity so much as ... like ... sudden fear that this story is taking way too long to tell, it's going to take the next decade to finish, I'm going to be drawing this for the rest of my life and I don't even have an audience because the pacing is too slow for it to keep anyone's attention.... Which is silly because there are people who keep up with my agonisingly slow updates and comment occasionally. But I still get that from time to time.

14. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

Oh thats relateable,, my thing is pretty slow paced and i feel like its “weird” until plot comes along

My burst of Bad is mainly bc I looked at my blog briefly while its been on Rebrand Hiatus and someone has been live-blogging and seemed semi snarky/confused and I’m just. Kill bill noises

• Witnessed x 2
  15. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  16. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

[​IMG]

It's been taking me ages to draw pages lately and when I was working on this panel I finally realised that it's because I'm trying harder with backgrounds and attempting interesting angles and stuff. So, that's nice I guess?

Also I'm doing Inktober and trying to stay on schedule for Maria and suddenly I want to do a little five-ish page comic for Hallowe'en ... somebody save me from myself.

• Winner x 2
  17. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

I felt like ive been sucking at comic layout and backgrounds lately so for the rest of the series i will overcompensate (WIP) 8EE57BA3-75E9-4426-A1BF-3912CD71E354.jpeg

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
  18. Ben

AHHHHHHH everything abojut that page is so gr8

• Like x 1
  19. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

Thank yOoouuu

20. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

I overextended myself during the holidays and as a result I've had to put Maria on hold for two weeks. Also I really screwed up my sleep cycle or whatever trying to update on time the week before so like....

:hmph:

• Witnessed x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice