Comic Artists Support Thread

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by Codeless, Oct 18, 2015.

1. sidneyia

sidneyia from TV

FML everybody on here's a better artist than me

but anyway here's an establishing shot I just put up
    [​IMG]

• Like x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  2. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

*screaming because I'm behind on Maria and I have been for months and all I want to do is draw kdrama fanart*

When will my motivation return from the war....

@sidneyia the lighting on that panel of yours is so pretty that I scrolled up to look at it like four separate times while I was writing this post.

• Witnessed x 1
  3. sidneyia

sidneyia from TV

Aw, thank you.

& I feel you, instead of working on my comic I've decided that I need to draw Taako a million times.

Drawing off-topic is still better than not drawing because you're still improving your skills, though. At least that's what I've been telling myself.

• Agree x 1
  4. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

...That's actually a really good point and I too am going to tell myself that from now on.

I've been trying to bribe myself to the tune of "When you finish this page you can draw that thing you want to, but not before!" but all that happens is that I procrastinate for days on the page anyway AND I don't get to draw anything I have fun drawing. XD

Today I'm switching to "spend a certain amount of time working on Maria and then you can do whatever you want" and so far it seems to be working. I mean I actually just like ... sat down and worked on it for the designated period of time instead of avoiding it for half a week haha. And I don't feel burnt out like I usually do!

5. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

I tend to try telling myself 'you only have to work on this 5 minutes' because my procrastination and avoidance is very 'amount of effort I need to put in to do the thing is Too Much and I cannot handle it' , so if I tell myself I just need to do like, a few minutes of effort before bed I get past that halt and usually end up spending at least half an hour working anyways

• Useful x 1
  6. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

I'm working on a short comic with a friend and I wanna yell about it here but it's hard to get my thoughts organised! Anyway it's about a girl and a plant and the working title is A Girl & Her Plant because I am good at naming things, so good in fact that two out of three of my comic protagonists don't have names. Also I am both excited and stressed because I promised to come up with a script in a week and started from scratch. Which is different because normally when I write a comic script I've been turning the concept over in my head for like, a year. Maybe two. It's doable but I usually don't do things this quickly! Aaaaa!

• Witnessed x 1
  7. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

[​IMG]

I've got the script and thumbnails for the (still not properly named) comic done! I've just got to finish sketching chapter one, and then I can start inking my bits and sending pages off to my co-creator.

I'm trying not to spend too much time on this because I also have two pages of Maria left in the chapter before we go on break (well, hiatus, Key and I have decided that we need more than a couple of months to regroup after this chapter so we're taking a year off) but I'm pretty excited about it so it's hard to stay on track, haha.

• Winner x 3
  8. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

Chapter five of Maria is now complete! If you wanna read five super-slow-paced chapters and end on a cliffhanger that won't be resolved for over a year, now's your chance. :P

I've made the announcement that we're going on hiatus and now I'm torn between "I'm freeeeeeeeeeee" and "this was the worst decision I've made in a while". I know that it's bad for your following to go on hiatus for a year after a cliffhanger and I'm sorry to the readers, but I really have desperately been needing a break for a while, and I couldn't hold out until the end of the next chapter, and at least we didn't stop in the middle of a chapter, and I'm sure it's going to be good for the story to have time to go over it properly (we've got inconsistencies/straight-up contradictions in the published chapters because of how poorly we've kept track of all our plot threads and information etc.), and I am looking forward to straightening everything out and getting to work again after the break, but....

I wish I hadn't needed a break, I guess. If I hadn't been so tired and overwhelming myself with projects and constantly procrastinating then we could conceivably have worked on the script without putting the comic on hold. But I can't do much about being tired and the side projects kept me interested in art while I was burning out on Maria specifically. I don't know, why do problems happen? ):

Anyway I guess all my webcomic problems will be with the collaboration-that-still-doesn't-have-a-name for the next long while. Looking forward to that, haha!

9. sidneyia

sidneyia from TV

I'm officially ragequitting mine. Two years and nine months of publishing and I think the most notes I've ever gotten on a page was twelve. I can't keep pouring hours and hours of my life into nothing.

• Witnessed x 1
  10. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

I know that feel. I never published A Girl & Her Shadow on Tumblr but we've been updating Maria there for, I don't know, two or three years? And I don't think we've ever gotten more than ten notes on an update, and that's being generous with my estimate. Tumblr's just not really great as far as getting feedback goes, I think.

On Smack Jeeves we get the occasional comment, which is nice. Doesn't really measure up to MangaMagazine/Inkblazers, which is where I got my start webcomicking and which no longer exists, but I think Inkblazers may have been unusual as far as how much interaction between authors and readers there was.

I've heard vague good things about GlobalComix, but haven't really checked it out. And there's another webcomic website in the works (which I know about because the site admins have been contacting people through the SJ forums to ask if they're interested in hosting their comics there) which is supposed to start out in French and then expand to include other languages, which seems cool. I've also heard that having your own website is better than hosting through places like Smack Jeeves or Tapas, but it sounds like so much work ... and costs money, haha.

11. sidneyia

sidneyia from TV

No comments, no reblogs, nothing. I can't even get my IRL friends to engage with it on Facebook. I just need to accept that the entire thing is poison.

12. sidneyia

sidneyia from TV

I posted that I'm on "indefinite hiatus", which sounds a lot better than "I'm flouncing because y'all don't compliment me enough".

13. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

Today’s mood is “I’m ready to draw something that isnt various shades or red and purple

C3A941CF-FC43-4CA5-BF88-28C6D710EE4C.jpeg

Well the lights were turned off so now i can draw Blue and Black™

74592EFE-A70F-4BBA-9ACC-1CBB7DD11C98.jpeg

That being said I’m hype to render daytime soon i only have 2 pages left of this chapter

• Winner x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice