Craft Nerd Herd

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by Starcrossedsky, Feb 23, 2015.

1. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Make one anyway! Undertale pixel armies :3

2. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

I delivered my first paid knitting commission today! AAAA! She was so excited, and the other people there really adored it, and I already got one inquiry as to pricing for making a similar shawl.

Also, apparently my cat decided I'm not allowed to knit anymore tonight, lol.

[​IMG]

• Like x 7
  3. NuclearVampire

NuclearVampire The teeniest horrorterror

So I've also been intensely interested in the history of knitting/crocheting/whatever came before, and I just found out about nålbinding. And I'm like "That looks difficult. But interesting. But I'm in the middle of a knit project, and christmas is coming, and I have a thousand things to do, but it really looks interesting." Just. *face flops and groans over their desires to recreate old textiles* I ALREADY HAVE THE SUPPLIES, SINCE I HAVE YARN AND TEXTILE NEEDLES! BUT PROJECTS AND CHRISTMAS! *continues to face flop*

• Like x 3
  4. swirlingflight

I've made my first attempts at ironing the perler beads. I didn't have the iron hot enough for the first few, so they're still a bit fragile.

[​IMG]

Weirdly, a few of the beads in the rainbow cat only barely melted? I'm wondering if those are from some other brand with a different melting point.

It's easiest to see the yellow one above the cat's mouth.

[​IMG]

• Like x 4
  5. Vmaprie

Vmaprie hlaf mermade too

• Like x 6
  6. LilacMercenary

LilacMercenary Well-Known Member

oldshale shawl.jpg

I figure I'd better post this now just in case I die of old age before it's finished. This is the first shawl I've come anywhere near this close to finishing, I started it in may and intended it to be done in time for my friend's wedding in august. I'd estimate I'm about 2/3s done, length-wise.
    Once I'm done with my knitting (and figure out where I got the design for the edge so I can do the other side) I'm planning to crochet some lace in a nice bright color to break up all the white.

Despite all my griping, I'm really pleased with how this is coming out :>

• Like x 8
  7. LilacMercenary

LilacMercenary Well-Known Member

8. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

Today I had some really nice ideas for art that I want to make.

Basically: I have this dream of producing elaborate cloth art dolls, often with a bit of a body horror thing to them, but also very soft with the gentleness and richness in texture that I associate with textiles. It's what I really wanna do with my art.

I'm trying to figure out how to make a textile art ball-jointed doll - very soft and made of fabric, not clay, porcelain or resin. There's surprisingly few results for that online, even though the idea obviously a) isn't new and b) is doable. One blog entry that I found, the author did kinda like an articulated exoskeleton in felt, to be covered with a knit fabric "skin" later - but I honestly think kint fabric skins on dolls look pretty gross and also tacky, and ALSO that there has to be an easier way to do this. To me right now it seems like the main challenge would be to string the elastic in such a way that it would be possible to re-string it later. Just stringing it - or even just sewing the joints in somehow - would be OK, but how to make it so that someone with no sewing skills could re-do it if they, somewhere in the distant future, actually purchased such a doll and took it home?

So I don't have to puzzle it all out on my own, I found one PDF pattern on Etsy for the body of a cloth BJD. I bought it even though the author is Italian, translated to English herself and the English is very obviously broken in many places, which I'm sure will make for a frustrating read. It will still help I'm sure, especially because it's illustrated and has pictures - and because I just want to get an idea of the process, not exactly copy it. I'm waiting for it to be mailed to me now!

I'd really love to just get a definite idea of how I want to make the doll body structurally, because artistically (in terms of themes, colors, textures) I already have lots of ideas and a LOT of material. I just haven't been wanting to commit it to a half-assed project, rather wait a bit until I am a bit more certain re: how to make it turn out the way I wanna.

• Like x 1
  9. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

That sounds gorgeous and I'd definitly be interested in purchasing one eventually!

• Like x 1
  10. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

[yelling] HALLOWEEN THING DONE!!! just gotta do touch ups tomorrow, also seeing if I can make it more stable somehow, but otherwise I'm set AHHH

(Btw does anyone have any stability tips? It's not terrible but it's definite something I can't change my head position with too much lol)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like x 8
  11. blue

blue hightown funk you up

@rats THAT IS SUPER GOOD WTF
    I showed it to my dad and he said "whaaaaat" and then started saying "oh my god" in a high pitched voice. he is very impressed. : D

• Like x 2
  12. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

progress pic on the mermaid tail! the colors in the pic aren't as vibrant as rl tho x{

12052530_10205179802950446_855123856177562585_o.jpg

• Like x 2
  13. Vmaprie

Vmaprie hlaf mermade too

oooooo

I like everything.

Also I started on the other glove so I can cover BOTH hands. Like, whoa.

14. IvyLB

Got the horns for my dark forest feral fae started
    god dammit i hate doign it this way but hopefully covering it in hotglue will even it out somewhat
    *glares at my hands*
    why can you not just make things look exactly like they look in my head?

• Like x 3
  15. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

i maded more things

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like x 10
  16. swirlingflight

Rainbow music! :D :D And the foxglove is very recognizable.

• Like x 2
  17. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

YUSSSSSS i am happy to hear this 8D

also i am wondering about upping the difficulty level on the treble clef and doing at least twice the colours, getting a nicer gradient.

(i'm going to have a skein of every damn colour of DMC floss, aren't i.)

(except for Gamzee purple. that only comes in Anchor.)

• Like x 2
  18. swirlingflight

[​IMG]

Cross posting this bunch between here and the pixel art thread. ;)

• Like x 5
  19. IvyLB

[​IMG]
    One very regal fae coming up! this thing is massive and heavy, but at least the sheer amount of stuff I glued to the base keeps the balance with the massive horns. It's brown red and white flowers and a shitton of burgundy and orange pompom thingies as well as twigs. One of the horns has a patchy gold on the highlights of the texture, the other is wrapped in copper wire.
    Probably gonna wear this with my massive dreadlock wig and maybe a veil to cover the back of my head?
    Also have the possibility of wearing the headpiece the other way around with the horns swooping back, so I might also do that.

• Like x 4
  20. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is y first tie sewing anything, and I dnno how well I did.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice