Craft Nerd Herd

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by Starcrossedsky, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

So I make resin crystals sometimes and then got a little bag stuffed full of bead caps of various sizes...

[​IMG]

They aren't a perfect fit and I might experiment with stuff while the resin is still curing, but they do make the crystals look more finished.

• Like x 9
    • Winner x 2
  2. NuclearVampire

NuclearVampire The teeniest horrorterror

*loud incoherent squeaking* I went to a yarn shop today for the first time for a sit and knit, and they were so nice! They bought me expensive yarn and a fabric bag, and they did it just......on their own!!!!! Like! "Hey, you know what? Let me buy those for you. As a welcoming present. Oh, and you said it was your birthday, right?" And then came back with the yarn AND a nice fabric bag, because one of the others went and bought a bag to go with it as a gift! And they hugged me, and asked if they could before hugging me!!!!! *squeaking on the floor*

• Like x 14
    • Winner x 1
  3. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

Oh geez, what don't I do? I crochet (pretty well), I knit (eh), I make wire jewelry (mostly rings, and I am ridiculously rusty at it), I bead (poorly), I sculpt (mostly femo), I wire-wrap (does that go under wire jewelry?), I carve wood (mostly with snake patterns??? Idk why), I carve stone (current favorite), I sew (my own clothes (rarely), plushies (sometimes), assorted stuff I think would be cool (parasol!)), aaaaaand I embroider (mostly gifts). I think that's it. I'm just really lucky wrt: crafty parents, and I was able to try stuff out and discover that I love everything. Except sewing, which is too useful to not do just because I find it boring.

Most recently: I ground a piece of lapis until it was all smooth and shiny, and now I'm going to continue with finer and finer grits until it is even smoother and shinier. Then I will wrap it up and call it a pendant.

• Winner x 1
  4. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

We don't seem to have a specific jewelry thread so
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    an "oh god what do I do with all these random beads I keep picking up" necklace, ft. an orthocone I picked up at last year's mineralogy show, the dismembered parts of other, older necklaces, and some Unidentified ""crystal""" beads that were on sale at a craft store that are more likely glass than anything genuine.

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
  5. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

So I originally picked up some clay to make an accurate depiction of my Pathfinder character, but that is above my skill level at the moment.
    But I made a crow skull from it for @IvyLB's wriggling day! Bigger scale, less finicky. Goofed with the keyring #lessonlearned

IMG_20170801_171406.jpg

(Ivy took the pic, thanks again >>_<<")

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 2
  6. Jean

*appears out of the void, deposits this, leaves*

• Winner x 1
  7. Jean

I'm making a needle-felted twenty-sided die!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

• Winner x 1
  8. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

pics are broken for me :c

• Agree x 1
  9. Jean

Trying again with the felted die pics. Plus, I'm carving a mobius strip!
    upload_2017-11-17_12-6-44.jpeg
    upload_2017-11-17_12-7-1.jpeg
    upload_2017-11-17_12-7-19.jpeg
    upload_2017-11-17_12-7-52.jpeg I'm just carving it out of a piece of a willow stick i found in the back yard with an exacto knife, so quality isn't the greatest in the world.

• Winner x 1
  10. Jean

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  11. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Just finished this for class

[​IMG]

It's a figurine of my fursona it's pretty tall
    Around 11 inches

Figure is made out of
    - wire for the pose
    - masking tape and newspaper for the body
    - waterstop wet and dry sealant for the outer casing
    - masking tape for the shorts
    - acrylic paint
    - plaster for the base

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  12. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

The cotton cardigan I made myself last year, for summer weather, was two sizes (at least) too big and fit...badly.

So I frogged it and am now reknitting it to the smallest size the pattern offers. Which will, hopefully be small enough to fit properly. (The smallest size is "36"; the largest size, which is the one I knitted with before, is "48". I am not super worried about it being too small.)

13. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

• Winner x 1
  14. winterykite

The Apoxy Sculpt arrived two days earlier than anticipated. I stabbed my fingers three times with the wire skeleton of the ear fins -- turns out Lagoona's earfins are too damn tiny. And with this amount of wire inside the head I'm not sure I can adequately glue down rerooted hair "_" Might need to glue wefts on. Hm.

I don't usually work with sculpting mass, so it's. Very wonky.

dollhead_1.jpg dollhead_2.jpg dollhead_3.jpg

The messy paintstrip will be fixed by the new skin colour. Haven't located pure acetone in meatspace yet and amworking off nail polish remover.

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  15. winterykite

Moirail's bday has passed and I absolutely have not fnished the doll. Well, the doll itself is now finished, but she still needs the rest of her wardrobe.

loreli_3.jpg
    I actually ended up losing that base because of the sealant I'm using (Citadel brand). Irks me, because it was smoother than the other two.

loreli_4.jpg
    Two and a half days of unwinding cotton yarn and rerooting later.
    loreli_5.jpg loreli_6.jpg
    The first faceup attempt, some braiding, and a first look at the body. I ended up removing that faceup. Also, the smooshing during the reroot made the earfins and the horns come off, and I had to superglue those back on. Bluh. ::/
    That's a Lagoona body with the fins cut off (leg fins were missing outright, filled that up with apoxy). I used the fins as test run if I could use my general primer, and it worked. So yeah, body is grey general primer + blush. (Learned that from dollightful). This probably wouldn't work for the face, I don't think the primer is elastic enough.

loreli_7.jpg loreli_8.jpg
    Second faceup progress shots

loreli_9.jpg loreli_10.jpg
    The parts of her wardrobe I've finished

• Winner x 9
  16. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

[​IMG]
    Had some free time at work, so I welded this thing together. It's all 16 gauge stainless steel, cut with a plasma cutter and tig welded together. And then I sandblasted it, so it's got that uniform grey color. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, cause it's kinda a doodle. I didn't go in with any real idea of how it'd come together, and I had to weld up these huge gaps and score it in places to make it bend right and shit. It's just kinda cool for what it is, yunno?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    • Winner x 7
    • Like x 1
  17. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

[​IMG]
    yet more free time. Inventory should be finished tomorrow, so this thing might never be finished. which is fine, i'm kinda meh about how it's turning out anyways.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 1
  18. Jean

Made a lampshade!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Winner x 2
  19. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

F3227F84-2E67-445F-91FA-E35C27FCE4D3.jpeg Getting back into origami

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 1
  20. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

[​IMG]
    Made this pop up card for class!

And like while making this, the thought of how papercraft folk are legends streamed through constantly as I cut itty bitty pieces of paper :P

I've mostly been chipping away at it sat-mon, mostly making the separate pieces (card body, shoes, girl) and resting and getting distracted for better parts of the day

But yesterday Tuesday, there was really only making the mechanism for it to actually pop up and assembling left, so i finally buckled down and spent the whole god damn day non stop cutting up and measuring card and gluing strips etc

On of the more tiring aspects is that I know how I want the mechanism to work, and I know how to execute it, it just takes so long to actually make so it gets kind of mind numbing cause I can't go faster or skip to the finished product.
    Vs when designing the shoes or making the girl, it was more on the fly then and there creation then execution of an idea vs anything deeply planned out

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice