Craft Nerd Herd

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by Starcrossedsky, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

The way we were learning it was keeping one smaller tube unused as a combination blowpipe/punty kinda thing, and blebbing of bits off another, bigger, tube to use piece by piece.
    I dunno general boroculture, but this was definitely an art glass crowd. I think the instructor was a Pilchuckian? who also does beadwork and lampworked boro sculpture.

2. hoarmurath

hoarmurath Thor's Hammer

@littlemissCodeless

Is it possible to be in the chat without taking calls? I don't craft in long enough intervals for me to have a point in doing mouth-noises, but seeing craft nerd chat might be nice.

3. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I don´t see why not.

4. hoarmurath

hoarmurath Thor's Hammer

Add me then, please. :)

• Like x 1
  5. Imoyram

Imoyram Well-Known Member

So I maded a papercraft zombie..? And this seems like the place to post it?
    [​IMG]
    pencil for scale, with the awful picture

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    • Like x 3
  6. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

7. EulersBidentity

EulersBidentity e^i*[bi] + 1

Crafts! *throws confetti*
    All this glass talk is so interesting. I know nothing whatsoever about glasswork except that I think it's cool. (Er, figuratively.)

I haven't knit in months because time and also summer, but my last project was some gloves which are so warm and pretty (Manos del Uruguay is so great.)
    [​IMG]
    I also made these necklaces a while ago which I'm quite proud of. I've considered selling these but the truth is they take so long that a) I'd have to charge more than I think most people would be willing to pay and b) I get quite attached to them by the end.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The idea is that the image is clear from a distance and breaks down as you get closer. Inspired by that one popular tumblr post of van Gogh's self portrait done in Lego.

• Like x 3
  8. hoarmurath

hoarmurath Thor's Hammer

Wow, those are so neat! The necklaces, I mean. :)

• Like x 1
  9. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

@EulersBidentity I LOVE THOSE.....please let me know if you do ever start selling because I would chuck a ridiculous amount of money at you for one *___*

• Like x 1
  10. EulersBidentity

@rats maybe someday! I'd like to make more at some point, and I have the materials. It'd be cool to do them on commission, but it's hard to find paintings that are easily recognisable when shrunk so small & pixelated.

• Like x 1
  11. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Hm..What would such a commision roughly cost?

12. EulersBidentity

Good question. I think I've lost the notes I took when I was making these. At a rough estimate...

Assuming client + I found a picture that would work together... I would guess colour-matching would take about 2 hours, maybe 8-12 hours work on the actual counting/stitching/cutting (for reference, the little van Gogh has about 800 stitches, the Vermeer about 1300). The pendant cost around £2-£3. I wouldn't charge for the thread, because I can't remember how much it cost (and I got it in a big pack of 250 colours, so individual colour cost is p negligible.) UK living wage is £7.65ph. And tracked postage ~£6.50.

So I would guess £85-£120.

• Like x 1
  13. EulersBidentity

Adds: I've got an exam to take so not really time to do a commission right now, but I'd be happy to chat ideas and prices if anyone's interested. (No pressure! I know it's a lot of money.)

14. hoarmurath

hoarmurath Thor's Hammer

I hope this isn't rude, but I am really happy to see you charge what you feel is worth rather than underprice yourself.

Woop!

• Like x 4
  15. EulersBidentity

Doesn't seem rude to me, I'm glad you think so! I'm fortunate enough to have a student loan, some savings, and a job, so I can make stuff because I want to and not because I need to sell it. On the other hand, it's really cool to know there are people who'd be interested in buying the stuff I make! And on the third hand (um, I'm tipsy, pls forgive) I know that £120 isn't a totally absurd amount for a unique commissioned necklace, but it's definitely more than I would pay (I don't buy much jewellery), so I won't be at all upset or offended by people saying "sorry, can't afford that."

• Like x 2
  16. Vacuum Energy

Vacuum Energy waterwheel on the stream of entropy

I keep furiously crafting stuff and I can't stop. I should sell some of it.

17. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

So, I want to try to buy some yarn from knitpicks, but I want the yarn to be soft, not like red heart (which is a little scratchy. Though red heart soft is good). Is there a certain material blend that I should be getting? I have no idea how to do this online, basically.
    I *could* always just go to JoAnns, but this is supposed to be cheaper?

18. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I'mma be honest I avoid anything containing real wool because sensory issues. Cotton and cotton-blend is usually soft, if you can get something with silk or linen in there you are probably not gonna take your face out of the yarn anytime soon, but those tend to run almost absurdly expensive. If you can find it, Lana Grossa's Fine Degrade was discontinued this season and is probably gonna be in the clearance section. That one's contains like 15% silk and it is OH MY GOD SO SOFT?

19. Aviari

Aviari PartyWolf Is In The House Tonight

Caron Simply Soft is acrylic, has gorgeous colors and lives up to it's name. It's somewhere between $3-5/270yrds. It's my go-to yarn. Michael's tends to have a better selection than Jo Ann's imo.

20. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

ooo yeah, I got some caron simply soft for the project I just finished.
    I think I'll probably go into a store, lol. Too nervous to buy online.
    Thanks for the advice. :)
    (still accepting advice if anyone else wants to chime in tho, lol)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice