Crossover Consideration Station

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Dimitri so far has a progression of three epithets. Boarheart which was earned after a particular brutal boar princing it up that struck his felloe Kencyr. Boar-lord after he inherits from his father. Tempest-lord after that.

• Winner x 1
  2. Helen of Boy

Helen of Boy Hugcrafter Pursuivant

Ahhh, that makes sense.

In which case, Rhea might fit? I'd say Hubert but that'd take him from Edelgard, which... no.

• Useful x 1
  3. Aondeug

Highborn society is already taking him from her. At least in their game relationship. As a lord he instantly has rank over her just by existinf, regardless of the fact that she will become the Hresvelg Matriarch. And she as a lady can br shipped around to any hall her father wants. And unfortunately she would have to be since the Hresvelgs need money and they do not have sons to war and they only have one daughter left to trade for marriage contracts. So they'll have a different thing going on but I do want them to be friends still. A very different sort of friends.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    • Informative x 1
  4. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Working on something right now where Dipper Pines and Dib Membrane are conspiracy buddies. It's adorable.

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  5. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I like this

[​IMG]

• Winner x 10
  6. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Hang on though now I'm wondering if Toph COULD affect Pearl, because pearls really aren't rocks. They're layers of organically produced nacre around a random irritant. Would earthbending work there?

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  7. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

There's, like, a ton to unpack here.

1) Are Gems (the species) literally the same mineral as the one they're named for? How does this apply to fusions. Like are Garnet's hand gems garnets or are they a ruby and a sapphire that have, through gem magic, been given a color that resembles a garnet.

2) Pearls are organic and Pearl's boot sequence explicitly shows a clam but its unclear if that's a joke or a reference or what. Would a Pearl be harvested from the earth in the same manner as other Gems or are they commissioned, or is there a GIANT fucking space clam out there for the manufacture of singing ballet servants.

3) Earthbenders can bend creeping crystal, which is rock candy. Which is... sugar.

4) I was about to ask if earth from other planets 'counted' as Earth but then I remembered the episode where Toph bends a meteorite so it's all fair game.

5) Bismuth is a metal but by Korra the only metal that cannot be bent is platinum, however the method of 'metal-bending' works by finding the 'impurities' and bending THOSE.
    5a) Would the vast Diamond Empire allow impurities in their own citizens? Gasp!
    5b) Literally the Entire Point of Steven Universe is that we are all flawed and have to deal with it.

In conclusion: regular Earthbenders would be able to manipulate most, but not all Gems. Toph, however, can and will bend all of the gems, Pearl included. Because when Toph Beifong decides that you're a rock, it turns out that you're a rock and there's not much you can do about it.

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

The Pearl thing actually makes me wonder, if pearls are hard to make and maybe require 'specialty forming', then I can totally see why they'd be so rare and valuable

• Agree x 1
  9. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

This implies that Earthbenders can bend plants. And insects. At the very least. Which... being able to affect organic materials makes sense, kind of. I'm pretty sure Earthbenders can move dirt, after all which is mostly organic particles. But it also implies they should be able to affect people (honestly, from a sufficiently loose perspective, all benders should be able to affect people)

Which begs the question of what impurities they're talking about, exactly. Silicon? It's found in most rocks, after all. This also implies it'd be relatively easy to bend glass.
    And why does platinum not have these impurities? Why couldn't a metal bender bend It is possible platinum just negates bending?

My first guess would be that Gems aren't the actually the material they're named after, at least not entirely? I mean, something has to be making them sapient and I'm not sure a random assortment of crystal would do that, so my inclination is there's *something special* that distinguishes a Gem from... just a gem. Maybe it's just space magic though. And of course Gems' actual bodies are 'holograms', not minerals at all.

All of this of course assumes Avatar is not just a totally different (e.g. Platonic) physical system. In which case the answer becomes 'mu', leaning towards 'no'. I believe Steven Universe still has like... the same elemental structure as our own universe? So if Avatar works on a radically different system, then one argument would be 'No, Toph can't bend <INSERT GEM> because they're made of <ELEMENTAL COMPOUND> whereas her powers affect atomic Earth. This might follow up with 'and in fact, any matter brought from one universe to the other would probably cause an abrupt divide by cucumber error'.

• Winner x 3
  10. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

well i mean the true answer to all of this is 'bending is more to do with philosophical elemental concepts than actual chemical makeup' but also the plant benders from the swamp were a specialty school and I cannot for the life of me recall if they're water or earth benders, but location would say earthbenders probably?

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 2
  11. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

Water. I guess file them in with the city of firebenders with the dragon (the Sun Clan or something?) who I think were *also* physically in the middle of the Earth Kingdom.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    • Informative x 1
  12. IvyLB

... huh. Oh well. point still stands :P

13. IvyLB

... actually by that token, as gems' bodies are hard light projections, fire benders would be most likely to fuck with them. But also all manipulation of living things has been a waterbending feature. while i wouldn't put it past toph beifong, known badass who would spit in the face of god and then laugh, to somehow MANAGE gem juggling anyways, by all established rules of the franchise it should be water (because life forces) or fire (because light)

• Informative x 4
  14. Aondeug

So I just realized that I forgot that the dreamscape is like a thing that exists. And that people can subconsciously pull others into their dreams and that their dreams can spill forth into other's dreams. Because the Kencyrath just have a collective consciousness thing going on.

can you imagine the sort of fuckery that could occur with poor edelgard and her nightmare problem with such a thing

There is also the soulscape and soul-images. Which is a less superficial look at a Kencyr's soul. One that can actually be physically interacted with. This is how healing is done.

this can also end up wrecking a person's mental and physical health

And some Kencyr can carry the souls of another, making the now soulless person extremely hard to kill.

I am not sure what the fuck I could do to these poor Three Houses children with that bit. But I am sure I can do something and it will be bad!

also on the subject of weird soul shit binding is a thing so let's deal with byleth being bound to one of the lords and probably edelgard because i am a biased shipping fuck by showing off this lovely kencyrath fun fact: Binding of a Kencyr to a Lord involves the Lord giving the bound one a place within their soul-image.

15. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

you know, technically ice is a mineral, so clearly our standard scientific definitions don't track 1:1 to atla anyways.

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  16. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

there's a lot of spiritual elemental ideals going on, to sokka's endless frustration

• Agree x 6
    • Winner x 2
  17. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

Okay, consider a Kaitou Kid/Steven Universe crossover wherein Kid does his usual jewel theft until he finds out that whatever precious gemstone he just robbed turns into a space alien lady. Who has not been pleased to be jammed into a necklace for 6000 years or what have you. Hijinks... Ensue?

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 2
  18. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

YES PLEASE

• Agree x 2
  19. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I know nothing about Kaitou Kid but the idea of a Gem being stuck in some human jewelry is very good just generally, I approve.

• Agree x 2
  20. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

Batman x The God Eaters

Keiran Trevarde is reborn as Jason Todd; Ash Trine is reborn as Tim Drake. There are shenanigans.

In the end, they chose to pass on. They didn't know for sure what would happen, whether they would be reborn, memories intact - likely - or not - also likely - but they didn't want to be immortal, unchanging, forever.

Well. Not unchanging, never unchanging. They knew better than that.

Jason Todd knew who he was, and who he had been. He was not, he knew, Kieran Trevarde, not completely, but rather a smooth integration of the child he could have been and the man he once was. A new chance, a clean slate. Keeping the past but facing the future.

Tim Drake was not at peace. For all his memories, his knowledge, his experience, his body-mind-pattern was that of a neglected child. As he grew he came to terms with it, though not at peace, and didn't have to force his pattern to settle. It was still chaotic with youth, still different from what it had been - Tim was not Ash, as much as he was - but not so damaged. (It was interesting that who he had been did not overpower who he now was. Despite the rarity of hearing his name, he was Tim. And that was okay.)

Their magic had been part of their patterns; it was no wonder that it remained. That their connection did not-

Figuring out how things will work. Jason saves Catherine somehow, the various robins come together earlier and tag team Gotham, Steph is awesome, Ra's al Ghul is a creep, and Jason's first meeting with batman stays about the same ("you big boob!").

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice