Crying about magical furries and horrible families: Tumblr's #1 problematic manga [FRUITS BASKET]

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by witchknights, Aug 19, 2016.

1. a tiny mushroom

a tiny mushroom the tiniest

Yuki: Wow I ran away from the Sohma household where I had a roof over my head and everything and the whole time Honda-san has been living in a tent I am a spoiled brat

Me: Yuki you are a goddamn abuse survivor you are allowed to leave your home ok there is more to this situation than Tohru not having a house ok bruh, Tohru's self-imposed outdoor lifestyle is not a moral reflection on you

• Like x 6
  2. a tiny mushroom

To continue my liveblogging that nobody asked for
    Screenshot_20160906-174228.png
    Yuki: *arrives with rat army*
    Shigure: Aah, youth... With their rat armies and walkmans and pokemon gos.. Such fun...
    Screenshot_20160906-222515.png
    HERE COMES DAT BOI
    OH SHIT WADDUP

• Like x 4
  3. a tiny mushroom

Screenshot_20160906-224101.png
    Yuki calls Kyou "stupid cat" by using the kanji for cat but having it read as "baka", not "neko", and I think that's beautiful

• Like x 5
  4. paintcat

paintcat Let the voice of love take you higher

The artwork in the first volume is charmingly janky at times. Man, just seeing it is so nostalgic... I forgot that I'd memorized those faces so thoroughly.

• Like x 2
  5. a tiny mushroom

I actually prefer the older art XD it's much more polished in the later volumes, but idk I find the old art much more... Lively? I'm not quite sure ehe

In further news: no one is having a good day

Screenshot_20160906-224633.png Screenshot_20160906-224734.png

• Like x 4
  6. paintcat

Yeah, it is more lively. The later artwork is super clean and consistent, but at the expense of some expressiveness.

• Like x 2
  7. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

I disagree, but then I'm one of the people who likes the first season of Sailor Moon Crystal bc it doesn't use face faults, but is still really expressive. it's just not as obvious as a face fault, but it's still there

• Like x 2
  8. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

*crashes into thread*
    Guys I wrote a paper on Fruits Basket (and OHSHC). It was great. I was so happy. My research was rewatching the anime. "Oh sorry guys I can't go out I need to do my homework *watches anime*" Perfect.

Also, my ex goes by Kyo and I kind of identified with Tohru (innocent girl who just wants to help everyone) so when we were together I couldn't help but think about it like Kyo/Tohru. I now realize this probably wasn't the best thing, but eh.

*goes to catch up with thread*

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 1
  9. Re Allyssa

okay now that I'm caught up... yeah I def need to reread. I read it when I was 15 and a good percentage of some of the darker stuff went over my head I think. That was also a not so great time in my life so like I don't remember it too well, haha.
    Eeee furuba just makes me so happy tho.

10. paintcat

So, I'd love to read that paper, if possible.

• Like x 1
  11. a tiny mushroom

Same!!!

Also my local bookstore has collector's editions of the manga (in Japanese aha) and I think it's multiple volumes per book, but uh yeah I bought the first two books in the series and uh yeah I'm in FB hell XD

12. Re Allyssa

It was for my Japanese Language and Culture class. My idea was to see how the values and stuff we learned about in class showed up in anime, so I used Furuba and Host club because those were the ones I could think of examples off the top of my head. There was gonna be a section about gender, but we didn't learn enough about it in class and I ran out of time to research. It was mostly an excuse to watch anime.

Apologizing in advance if anything is like, offensive or anything? I did my best to work off of what we learned in class/from the textbook and be as respectful as possible.

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
  13. paintcat

I think you're in the clear.
    The point about playing one's assigned role reminds me of all the times in Japanese media where a character comments about how an action or situation suits/doesn't suit their "image." I always assumed they were breaking the fourth wall, but now I wonder...

• Like x 1
  14. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

I reread the whole series and I must say, I'd forgotten how much Kisa's introduction absolutely DESTROYED me.

• Like x 8
  15. Petra

Petra space case

Esp the bit about it being harder to talk about your problems with people you love and respect sometimes.

• Like x 7
  16. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

I keep meaning to revive this so I can gush about Machi and @Elaienar 's fantastic art from the Chrismukkah secret santa thing but I don't have the spoons rn, so this is mostly just me posting to say that the art and the char are fantastic and I will do a better post on this later

• Like x 2
  17. Petra

Petra space case

Read the manga, don't watch the anime. The anime isn't bad but it's an alternate and much shorter story that leaves out a few of the major characters (because it ended before the manga reached them) and leaves out a lot of the ways the protagonist and antagonist aren't foils for each other so much as mirrors (because it ended before the manga reached a lot of the reveals there).

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 2
  18. Petra

Petra space case

Well I guess they're still foils but like, their mothers went through some almost identical things, they both have similar emotional problems, they both desire the same thing deep down despite it being unhealthy, etc.

I'd argue the difference is that Akito was simultaniously enabled and horrifically emotionally abused after the death of her dad while Tohru always had a loving support system.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    • Agree x 2
  19. Petra

Petra space case

Now I want to reread Fruits Basket.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  20. itsAlana

itsAlana let me tell you about the vorkosigan saga

I really wanted to love furuba but it wound up being really disappointing to me in the endgame

not disappointing enough that i dont still have like 16 volumes of it on my shelf, but disappointing all the same

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice