Crying over cosplay

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by mizushimo, Aug 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

What a good friend!!

• Like x 1
  2. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

2E5CD684-331C-40BF-AACE-584A46B8D1B2.jpeg
    Bean makeup test! I’m so happy with this cosplay, y’all. (The Luci prop didn’t work out but still!!)

(Also lmk if the pic is too massive!)

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  3. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

You look good with white hair!

• Agree x 2
    • Useful x 1
  4. WolffyLuna

WolffyLuna Active Member

So, I want to make a brooch for a cosplay I'm doing. It's a 2d design, so that simplifies some things, but I'm not sure what the best material would be. I'm looking for something that can take acrylic paint, can be cut with scissors or a craft knife, and ideally at least a little sturdy.

At the moment, my best ideas are either cutting up a cheap plastic cutting board (weirdly hard to find, those things) or giving up 'sturdy' and just making it out of cardstock.

5. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

i'd suggest chipboard? it's p easy to paint afaik, takes most commonly available glues well and is very easy to cut with craft knives and scissors unless you go too thick. Very customizable, pretty durable.

• Informative x 2
    • Useful x 1
  6. KaidaShade

KaidaShade Definitely not a horse

I've found air dry clay pretty good for stuff like that. It's super light, easy to work with and stays fairly flexible when it's dry

• Useful x 3
  7. Jemmy

Jemmy Don't Do A Hit

me realizing i can cosplay persephone from lore olympus without much trouble

:msap:

[​IMG]

• Winner x 2
  8. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Hey so my boyfriend wants to cosplay Zelda from BotW. Specifically the blue outfit with pants she wears. He is kind of baffled about like where to begin with making it though. Does anyone know of anywhere we should look for like tutorials and such for this?

9. KaidaShade

KaidaShade Definitely not a horse

I tend to find with any cosplay it's a good idea to take a good look at it, break it down into individual components and figure out what you need to make vs what you need to buy.

For Zelda, that shirt looks like it's a crop top over a longer white shirt, you could probably buy something close and modify it, then use a long-sleeved t-shirt as a pattern and cut it off to the desired length.

10. Aondeug

The issue is neither of us are really skilled when it comes to fabric based cosplay at all. The only familiarity I have personally is with removing the zippers and modifying a flight suit and that is basically the sum of our knowledge. So we're not really sure how to break that down at all. Or what kinds of materials to look into and the like. We're kind of flying blind and need things a bit more specific? I suppose.

11. IvyLB

for me the like biggest main decision to make is... material i guess? So does he want to match the bright, cartoony look (blended artificial fabrics would be good for that, they tend to be very brightly colored and can be very crisp) or does he want to do a more ~realistic~/natural look (there i'd go more for philosophy over accuracy and depending on budgetary constraints I'd look for linnen or cotton for the undershirt and linnen or silk for the blue one over top but that's p budget breaking and ridiculously bougie and also a nightmare to work with)
    it's also probably a good idea to look at pattern drafting videos on youtube and various blogs. Even tho it's a pants based cosplay and not historial costuming, I'd look at Morgan Donner, Bernadette Banner and Angela Clayton for some general ideas, they almost always cover their entire process from the beginning to the end and I'm p sure they have most of the basics covered between them.
    I'd also focus on one aspect of the outfit at a time, personally because otherwise it's easy to get lost in things

Generally my approach is:
    • decide on design approach: how elaborate, what materials, etc
    • break the outfit down into layers, then into worksteps (undergarments first, then decoration on those, then mid/outer layers, then accessories)
    • watch a tone of youtube about how to alter clothes and draft patterns
    • acquire bases if altering/using existing pieces and draft patterns based on things you know fit well, or acquire commercial patterns
      • optional hardmode: have none of these things available and acquire shit musselin to start draping patterns on a mannequin (but i *have* a mannequin, it's basically almost impossible if you don't, so like don't do this)
      • medium to hardmode: buy commercial patterns that aren't already scaled to your clothing size, cry a lot because mathematics are horrible and you're a dyscalculic queer with the brain of a toaster strudel
    • Buy Fabric (tm) and buttons and trim etc (ALWAYS BUY MORE THAN YOU THINK YOU NEED)
    • cry a lot
    • pre wash and press
    • start stabbing your fingers and try not to get any blood on your white fabric

• Informative x 1
  12. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

If you find that making the whole thing from scratch is too intimidating, Annika Victoria has many tutorials on remodeling clothes which are very beginner friendly.

• Informative x 1
  13. IvyLB

thank you! i knew i had forgotten someone i meant to rec

14. Aondeug

Thank you very much for this! I'm going to be sending this all to him now.

• Like x 2
  15. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

would this be an appropriate place to talk about my larp costume struggles? I'd been posting in fiber arts until now, but that seems to be more of a spinning and knitting type place.

16. Sethrial MacCoill

4C56323F-E005-4141-A916-D7C6917276CC.jpeg 1304ECA2-8EBE-4E17-9BEA-56F4E836D4AD.jpeg

• Winner x 3
  17. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

new cosplay plan: Davesprite.
    Why? because i can do the sprite tail with the wheelchair (with leggy holes behind it to slip feet out of for short walkies as needed)
    other reason why: i found a video that shows how i can feasibly do birdy hands and i am Pleased.

• Winner x 3
  18. Sethrial MacCoill

After a very long four hours of thread clipping, bias tape making, sewing, and yet more thread clipping, I’m pleased as punch to announce that this hell-project is finally done.

149A9615-3102-463D-B05A-EC9271A450E8.jpeg

• Winner x 5
  19. Sethrial MacCoill

Three hours of appliqué today. It looks so good, but I’m dying

20. Sethrial MacCoill

59235BEE-53A7-4722-BE03-9778D76C822A.jpeg

68BECBA3-7351-4B18-87BE-182C39B7B2F6.jpeg

• Winner x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice