Crying over cosplay

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by mizushimo, Aug 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

ohhh that looks amazing!

• Agree x 1
  2. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

That looks absolutely fantastic

3. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

Here’s an update on my latest project. This one is going to be a gambison.

6A4B65B1-0791-4C4B-A657-3E65A5EDD149.jpeg
    Front panel (going to be cut in two with buttons

40BC67EE-5907-487B-8140-7B07ADF41E6F.jpeg
    Back panel. That’s dye, not paint.

0C4D524C-6EE3-427A-B767-FCBCC8D8D974.jpeg
    inside of the back panel. I just think it looks cool.

I’m taking a couple days break from sewing for thanksgiving, work on Black Friday, and I’m hitting it hard on saturday.

• Winner x 2
  4. Sethrial MacCoill

my favorite part of sewing is how until everything is put together, seams finished, threads clipped, the entire project looks like *absolute dogshit*

• Agree x 1
  5. Sethrial MacCoill

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Winner x 5
  6. Sethrial MacCoill

Im sorry that I’m kind of monopolizing this thread. I just got done with the final fitting of a Christmas... kind of commission? She designed it and bought the fabric, and I did the sewing portion for free. It has pockets!

49631DCC-3900-4C39-8A7B-3E279426F34F.jpeg 440C166A-EA53-4648-AEC6-D1C984EB7E70.jpeg

• Winner x 2
  7. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i don't cosplay so i have no presence in this thread, for all i know this video's been linked five times already. i just ran across it and thought "oh wow, cosplayers need to know this."

he talks way too much but he shows his process in a lot of detail. i don't think you need to use the specialized products he uses. i think the essential skill is how to add root shadows and lowlights to a wig so the color's not flat. he goes from looking like he's halfassing a witcher cosplay to looking like that's his real hair and he's just this long haired surfer guy.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    • Useful x 4
    • Winner x 2
  8. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Hello. So since we are all stuck inside I have time at last to at least start the planning phase of a cosplay I'm wanting to do. Namely Fiethsing from Force of Will. I am wondering about like...help though.

[​IMG]

I was wondering in particular if anyone here has like tutorials to working with leather-like fabrics. Her belt, knee pads, and vest all seem to involve leather. So some degree of a leather-looking fabric seems like it is definitely going to be needed. She also has one of those little half cape things that like the house leaders in Three Houses wear, albeit shorter. Does anyone know what these things are called so I could look into making one?

That aside...Right now I've been working on breaking down what exactly the individual pieces of the outfit are. The underwear layer consists of her bra and the thigh highs. These thigh highs are weird and toeless but given that I'll be wearing shoes I will not need to give a shit about that aspect of the thigh highs. Over top that seems to be the white skirt bit. The next layer is the...light green...something or other. I'm not really sure what that layer is garment wise. Some sort of robe??? Whatever it is it has twin trail-y bits that hang quite far (I am going to have to do something about that since that thing would be on the ground and dragging behind a good distance if made as long as it appears to be). It also goes up her upper torso and joins somewhere just above her belt. It seems to go up and under the vest so there's likely arm holes somewhere. Over this...whatever it is there is the belt and the vest. Then we have...her ribbon, the weird little half cape thing, the tail (which hangs behind the cape, her fingerless arm gloves, the knee pads, the boots, the monocle and her hat. Prop wise she's got the broom and also Tama, her cat familiar.

9. KaidaShade

KaidaShade Definitely not a horse

Yeah looks like a sleeveless robe of some description, probably with some kind of fastening under that belt and not much else. I think you're looking for a capelet or shoulder cape based on some google fu.

I've done a bit of work with fake leather and I cannot recommend getting the proper needles for it enough. Lost track of how many sewing machine needles I shattered sewing that shit, and investing in a thimble for hand sewing is defintely a bare minimum or you will annihilate your fingers. If you're going to work with fake leather get the thinnest stuff you can or it's gonna be heavy and sweaty, though for just the belt and the vest it probably wouldn't be as bad.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  10. Aondeug

...needles shattering sounds like a fucking nightmare. So that is noted. Hard. Same with heat...That's especially pertinent given that I normally live in very warm places...

Thank you for this.

• Like x 1
  11. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

If you gotta handsew part of the cake leather, pliers are also helpful for getting thd needle through without destroying your hand, esp if you have to get it through more than one layer of fake leather

• Informative x 2
  12. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

you also may want a rubber mallet and nail to pre punch sewing holes for both fake and real leather if you don't mahcine sew it

• Informative x 1
  13. Aondeug

Apparently the magic words to find single shoulder cape patterns and tutorials is to google 'musketeer cape pattern'.

• Informative x 2
  14. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

workin' on clawed birdy hand gloves for davesprite cosplay. looking good so far on the first glove i think!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Winner x 7
  15. KaidaShade

KaidaShade Definitely not a horse

Oooh, what are you making those out of? The claws look great

16. TheMockingCrows

Monster Liquid Latex and some claw tip plastic nails I e6000'd onto them and then added some liquid latex over. c:

• Informative x 2
  17. TheMockingCrows

woooo, lefty just needs a coat of sealant on the claws to shine'm up and guard them but lefty is done then! unless I add further details in the future, which i don't think i will off the top of my head aside from some definition perhaps.. righty is now cast on the third goddamn try and i'll be adding more layers and painting it tomorrow :D im so happy!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Winner x 3
  18. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I’m reprising my Enoby cosplay and I feel like y’all need to see the skirt.
    2BD972CC-F87A-41CC-A691-87248DD43C1C.jpeg

• Winner x 3
  19. Acey

ENOBY (nut marie sue)
    8E3AF097-42AF-4DD1-BA8E-F4DD2D95CE79.jpeg BE1458FB-56A5-4AAF-8E14-29F36671080A.jpeg 564A4DA8-0BFD-429C-85E1-1659B4348CC5.jpeg

• Winner x 1
  20. Acey

Apologies for the double post, but this weekend’s cosplays!
    92D61D4A-70C0-4925-A90A-50533E36E0B4.jpeg 2D55F6F0-6842-4AA9-8FA4-B9CB77D2D5F5.jpeg

• Winner x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice