Crying over cosplay

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by mizushimo, Aug 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I might go to a con this year, probably gonna be Rose. Mostly cause easy.

• Like x 1
  2. Greywing

Greywing Resident dead bird

I'm probably going to cosplay Hisoka (from hxh) and Shinguuji (from the new Dangan Ronpa game) for ACEN. Both are going to involve a fair bit of effort, but should be fun.

3. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Rose cosplay: Black shirt and skirt, got. Black headband, got. need to make a big pin of her squiddle and get wig and scarf. looked for squiddlemakings but found none yesterday.

4. What's the best way to attach a tail to a dress?

5. mizushimo

mizushimo the greatest hits

I would attach it to a belt if possible. If it's light enough you can also pin it to the dress.

• Like x 1
  6. It's gonna be made of felt and foam, is that fairly light? And yeah, a belt might work. Thank you!

7. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

Hi I desperately want to get into cosplay again and have a thing in mind but it is probably going to kill me to do lmao.

Sometimes I'm not really sure where or how to start with a cosplay, because I figure although I can't afford to get stuff right now, I can plan it out.

Any tips on where to start with a thing? If anyone wants to know the character/outfit in question I'll post it. But also it's armor so I'm going to end up dying I'm sure.

• Like x 1
  8. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

for armor you could try cardboard covered in craft foam? + scissors, duct tape, glue + paint as necassary

ime cardboard can be found free at like refrigerator/other large appliance stores (they often deliver the appliances to people's homes and then throw out the giant boxes)

• Like x 2
  9. furrylatula

furrylatula a pissed off homestuck girl

seconding cardboard covered in craft foam. do not EVER do craft foam alone its super flimsy but cardboard covered in craft foam is indestructible

• Like x 2
  10. Void

that's a good possibility. also attached to the armor is this amulet thing, and im not entirely sure how i'd even start replicating this

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  11. furrylatula

sparkly/shiny acrylic paint (michaels sells them in an absurd amount of colors for like a dollar each) over maybe......a clay-covered plastic cup lid? clay might be too heavy though so fabric/more craft foam could work better

it just looks like a lot of circles layered over each other once you break it down

• Like x 2
  12. electroTelegram

hmm. you could layer grey craft foam over blue (and use something like an exacto knife to precision-cut the details on the face of the amulet) and/or paint the glyphs on? + paint to look more like glowing/ metal

you could also try sculpy/other form of clay for the top detailing, and then glue that onto the base

hmm. a CD would probably be too big but a mason jar lid (+/- the rim depending on your preference) might be a good size?

• Like x 2
  13. Void

i was considering doing blue cellophane or something and sticking an led under it to get the glow, but yeah that makes sense. craft foam could work, if painted right

• Like x 1
  14. electroTelegram

oh!! you could use a mason jar rim (minus the middle part), put blue cellophane over the center, and light it from LEDs from under it. the rim's 3/4 of an inch or so of height should give you room for the LED

• Like x 2
  15. Void

i also was considering doing a much more casual cosplay of the same character, because really all i'd need is his jacket. i'm not sure where i'd find one though, but if i could find that, and then make the amulet i'm set pretty much on it

[​IMG]

• Like x 2
  16. furrylatula

tbh that just looks like a windbreaker with the sleeves rolled up

id check thrift stores

• Like x 2
  17. Void

good idea, i'll probably give it a go soon to see if i can find one.

• Like x 1
  18. electroTelegram

i was thinking like

image.jpeg

you could use craft foam or clay or something for the top detailing

• Like x 2
  19. Void

oh yeah, that could absolutely work really well! thanks a lot for the advice guys

• Like x 2
  20. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

Detailing like that amulet has is always done p easily with stuff like fimo clay ime.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice