Crying over cosplay

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by mizushimo, Aug 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

ooh, good to know! i've never worked with fimo, does it require baking?

• Like x 1
  2. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

ye! Fimo is just the brandname for polymer clay which was the word which escaped me for a sec there lmao. I personally like using polymer clay for accessories because with relatively little practice you can get some hella cool detailed work done. For some reference of what can be done with polymer clay i recommend petitplat on youtube

• Like x 2
  3. Void

Oh cool alright! Good to know then, cuz I've never worked with anything but sculpy and model magic before.

• Like x 1
  4. IvyLB

it's p easy if you just follow package instructions and your oven is not like... literally actively attempting to sabotage you :P

• Like x 1
  5. Void

i only have a toaster oven, hopefully that works haha.

• Like x 1
  6. IvyLB

iiiii have no idea :P i'd... keep a plan b in mind xP

• Like x 2
  7. mizushimo

mizushimo the greatest hits

I need to start learning how to make armor..hopefully out of foam, does anyone have any advice?

• Like x 1
  8. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

For nonbake lightweight clay, paperclay is really great. I made all my homestuck horns out of it lol, also several other small props and a sword hilt. Its not amazing for precision stuff, but its strong and lightweight and you can get a big brick for like $10

• Like x 2
  9. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

So uh...guess who is planning to cosplay Pearl and needs wig advice? And also an armsock tutorial that actually works?

10. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Also, idk about other stuff, but oasis foam is pretty nice for horns and such! I made my Kanaya horns from it and they came out very nice and super lightweight. (So lightweight, in fact, that I kept going "shit, do I have my horns on or not?" :P)

• Like x 1
  11. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

So i cant make the typical armsock tutorials behave either, so heres what i do. This is for if you want the armsocks attached to each other.
    -cut a hole in the crotch of the tights
    -figure out which arm will be which
    -mark them on the inside with a little fabric chalk
    -turn inside out
    Heres where i fuck up always
    -put left hand in the RIGHT sleeve
    -make your fingers comfy
    -sew loosely around your fingers. Does not have to be perfect, just needs to be an outline
    -once outline is sewn, cut the fingers apart. Trim some excess but leave at least 1/4 inch when possible
    -stick your hand back in if you took it out to cut
    -sew around your fingers nicely. Good little stitches.
    -trim a little more if really needed. Have to use your best judgement here.
    -turn right side out and turn the fingers out with the eraser end of a pencil, stick hand in again to test

Tada, you have a hand! Now do the other, making sure that the thumbs point inward toward each other when both inside or both right side out(sounds obvious but i have fucked this up more than i would like to admit)

You can remove the guide thread if it got clipped and sticks out anywhere when the hand is rightside out- just pull gently and it will usually come out. If not, pull it a little, gently, and then trim it as close to the sock as you safely can

• Like x 2
  12. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

I'm gonna see if I can get to a sewing machine and work on some cosplay this summer. Would it be Completely ridiculous to go for god tiers?

ETA: I have some decent sewing experience! I made a...more of an outer coat style kimono, and I've made a few other cosplays/dresses/outfits through the years, either by sewing or adjusting/adapting cheap clothes

13. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I would say, probably not completely ridiculous? Some of the tiers are pretty simple. Of course, fancytier is a whole other beast....

• Like x 1
  14. keltka

I REFUSE TO GO NEAR FANCY TIER. I'm just sorta nervous because it's been a while since I've had the time/space to create cosplay @_@ but my friend and I might be hitting A-Kon and I'm DETERMINED we do it in style :D

15. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

anyone have recommendations for painting a pair of boots white?

16. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

white plastidip?

• Like x 1
  17. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

that could work, thank

18. keltka

OH MAN I SAW A POST ABOUT THAT!!!
    Here!!

• Like x 2
  19. furrylatula

furrylatula a pissed off homestuck girl

YO is it physically possible to layer greasepaint over water activated paint

20. IvyLB

pretty sure it is supposed to work but you might want to experiment with your brand(s) to see how they interact!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice