Culture Shock

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Raire, Mar 28, 2016.

1. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

One of my roommates does that and I also find it sacrilegious.

• Like x 1
  2. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I'll put butter in steamed rice in certain situations, but I'll also eat it plain. Rice with seaweed, umeboshi, and pickled radish actually serves as a decent lunch, but I don't think I've ever just... salted rice.

On the whole, I don't salt things though. I donut understand.

• Like x 1
  3. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I put soy sauce on it. Or just eat it with something that's got a lot of sauce, like a curry or stir-fry.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    • Like x 1
  4. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Stirfry is so good. We have these microwave curry packets which as also super good, and super easy to make. I love meals that don't take nearly any spoons to make.

• Like x 1
  5. Jojo

Jojo Writin and fightin

Man, I really feel the wage gap thing. My family had a really varied income due to some Circumstances but we were generally in the middle-class range for the area, though that's not saying much compared to the rest of the US, because our whole community (and even most of my family) is basically dirt poor.

I mean, "my cousin is 39 and living in a camper in the woods with no electricity" poor and "our mechanic is homeless and lives in a boxed-off corner of a garage currently" poor. I would donate my old clothes to goodwill and see kids on my bus wearing them the next week, usually the same kids that got sent home with cans and boxes of food from the school. I mean, just overall a super poor area. But that's just how things were, you know? People managed, they budgeted and reused stuff and were ingenuitive with what they had. No one really thought they were poor.

It came as a huge "WTF??" Moment when I was visiting my cousins in MD and we were driving through a nice little suburb and my cousin goes "ugh, it kinda makes me uncomfortable here, its the poor neighborhood and theres a lot of bad stuff that goes on." And she was saying this about a neighborhood with houses that were EASILY triple the value of ours! I guess she had no frame of reference for being "poor", because her mom is some kind of corporate vice-president and her dad has a good job too. Still, it was such a weird sense of disconnect, like she was saying something that could definitely be true but with the totally wrong context or something.

• Like x 3
  6. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

Same. Hot rice with butter on it is really, really good. I eat rice lots of other ways, but that's the way I grew up eating it.

(Military brat, grew up mostly in southern states. Our foreign assignment was when my dad was stationed in New York for eleven months.)

• Like x 1
  7. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

Only fried rice. Butter and salt add some flavor to plain white rice but not enough to make it edible (food must have much flavor or nope).

• Like x 1
  8. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

wait, you're talking about taking already-cooked rice and putting butter in it? ew.

if you're going to put anything on rice, it should be good well seasoned farofa.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    • Like x 1
  9. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

@witchknights Yeah, the method I grew up with was: melt butter in pan, fry (uncooked) brown rice in butter for a bit, dump rice and butter into pot with water and a bit of salt, cook, then eat with more butter. Now we use white rice and a rice-cooker (and still put butter on after cooking it).

Actually, thinking about butter, I have a question for anyone who eats it. A few years ago my dad started occasionally buying butter from a local-ish Amish grocery store, and it was really different from the butter I'm used to getting at chain stores like Walmart. The butter I'm used to is almost sweet, salted or not. The Amish butter was kind of ... sour? Almost rancid? It had a really strong not-quite-right-dairy smell and taste, which apparently was normal for their butter and didn't actually mean the it was bad.

But now I'm wondering, which type of butter is more common outside the U.S.? Is the sour butter an Amish-only thing, or...?

10. witchknights

I had never heard of eating rice with butter! egg yolks and farofa, yeah, but not just butter.
    our butter here in brazil is the slightly sweet variety, too. I think it could have something to do with the methods of production and the whole Amish aversion to technology thing.

11. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

A few of us do that in California. Salt or butter. Especially with certain kinds of meals. I notice it mostly with like steaks and stuff where the rice is the side?

Also this reminds me of the shock some people have at learning that Mexicans crack our rice. Yes Helen you fry the rice while it is dry in oil a bit before you do the typical rice steaming to it. No Helen you cannot make a casserole out of my rice. Helen put the casserole dish back please no this needs to stop.

• Like x 5
  12. Aondeug

why does enchilada casserole exist

• Like x 3
  13. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

OMG we also crack our rice it's why my rice turns out so good THOUGH I DIDN'T KNOW THE NAME. I sometimes skip the oil but that runs the risk of burning a bit so it's something that needs very fast stirring to keep the heat properly diffused. We also add very finely chopped garlic at the end of cracking. Put it directly into the center of the pot, not within the rice, to fry for like five seconds before stirring it in to mix with the cracked rice and then add the cold water, and sprinkle salt over it. One of my exes said that I made the best home cooked rice ever. Frankly I'm pretty proud of how simple but nice it turns out and I learned it from dad.

My best friend M is from Mumbai, and sometimes she and her mom cooked the rice with peas and cumin seeds. I think it is cumin seed but basically it is a spice seed. It is rather different but I like it :)

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    • Like x 2
  14. Aondeug

Yesssssss garlic at the end of cracking is good stuff.

Personally I tend to put in chicken stock with the water when making rice like this. Depending on how I am going about things I might add tomato, onions, other veggies, and the glory that is tomato sauce to the rice too. That or I just add the chicken stock and call it a day. Tastes good either way. I've basically been declared the family rice god by most of my family. In that not only can I cook one sort of rice one way well, I can do lots of rices well. Though it does take practice. You do not rice god right the first time.

*looks back on the first pot of sticky rice*

Oh. Fun times that. THE BOTTOM WAS A GLUEY MUSHY MESS THAT WAS GROSS BECAUSE IT TOUCHED THE WATER. This is what happens when you bullshit a steamer.

• Like x 2
  15. Aondeug

Thai sticky rice is basically the best, by the way. You need to specifically get glutinous rice. Which tends to be called sticky rice or sweet rice in my experience. The grains should be short and an opaque white. It cannot be cooked like californian rice where you just toss the shit in a pot and boil and then simmer that shit for 20 minutes. This must be real deal steamed. So you get your amount of rice and soak that overnight in warm water. The next day you drain that and get a cheesecloth or banana leaves and a steamer. Put water in the bottom part obviously, but not too much. Soak your cheesecloth and put it in the upper basket. The rice is poured into the cheesecloth. Make sure that the rice is NOT touching the water. At all. You will get a gluey hell mess at the bottom if it does. BEGIN TO STEAM. Stuff gets done in like...20 minutes if I recall? At any rate after ten minutes you need to open up the steamer and get the rice out. You then flip the rice. This rice flipping is vital to it cooking through right all the way. Continue steaming. When it is does the rice should be translucent. A sort of greenish white. Kind of like the color of white yunzi stones in my experience? It should also be very sticky. As in you can rip off chunks of it with your bare hands and eat it that way. It's chewy and sweet. It can be eaten by itself, with sweet and ripe mango, with fried chicken, and so on.

For more fun you can make a very simple sauce to pour over it. Basically for this you get coconut milk to a boil and then simmer fuck tons of brown sugar and salt in it. The sauce should be a salty sort of sweet. It is poured over the rice and basically allowed to seep in? Additionally you can keep more on the side to add even more LIQUID DEATH to your rice if you want. Or you can use it for other desserts. THIS SAUCE IS THE BEST THING EVER OK.

• Like x 5
  16. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel certainly something

I grew up with adding butter and salt to rice, and we did the same with noodles. Actually, we did that with most starches!

I need to try cracking the rice. I was never very good at cooking rice, though, and since I've moved out I've been mostly eating the frozen rice that you microwave and then eat. That also has to do with convenience.

• Like x 1
  17. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

Oh god now i really want mango sticky rice what an excellent dessert.

There is a rice dish here in PerĂº called northern rice, which is cooked in a really cilantro thick water with beer and chicha (alcoholic corn drink). It is so delicious my mouth is watering just from thinking about it, but it is SO complicated and takes a long time to make with all the ingredients. Still, what a paradise.

I burnt my first rice attempt. At least, the bottom of the rice was dark brown. Dad swears by mustard mixed in with burnt rice as a neutralizer, but I remain skeptical.

Kavery, if you want I can try to make a good rice cooking a la Raire family post, heck I can maybe even film some of it.

• Like x 1
  18. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel certainly something

!!! That would be cool! Let me know if you do. :)

• Like x 1
  19. Aondeug

omg that sounds so good i must try it

20. witchknights

My rice is crap. I like it sticky, so I never learned how to cook it "properly". Many a joke has been made about using it as cement.

I need to learn how to make Japanese style rice (and sushi) because I am going overbudget with the Japanese delivery here in Londrina. Hmm hmmm, delicious downfalls of living in a Japanese colony city of sorts

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice