Culture Shock

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Raire, Mar 28, 2016.

1. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

I worked at a state fair food stand where the rule was you can take offered food, but you have to go to the back to eat it.
    Drunk people at the state fair are so generous with cookies and cheese curds, it's the best

...also, there are regions where chili and Mac n cheese aren't complimentary dishes? They are always made together in my family u: partially cause I still don't really like chili so I just eat a ton of Mac like the 5 year old I am

• Like x 1
  2. Artemis

Artemis i, an asexual moron

Chili mac is a thing in my experience (I was born in Atlanta, so maybe it is regional!), but I also do not care for chili so I avoid it when possible. I've always seen it mixed together, not, like, layered? Hmm.

Plz just give me all the regular mac'n'cheese. Keep your meat out of my mac.

3. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

*will be over here with a ginormous pot of turkey chili, you heathens*

• Like x 1
  4. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

chili mac is definitely a thing across the South. not sure about the north though, beyond that it never caught on in the part of Baltimore where I lived. but then, that was the Jewish area, and the only way to make chili mac kosher robs it of any right to the name "chili"

5. LadyNighteyes

*hisses at this insult to vegetarian chili*

6. leitstern

leitstern 6756 Shatter Every Sword Break Down Every Door

Yeah son you make your chili and then you make your mac, get a bowl, put a lot of chili and a little mac in, maybe soms sour cream or crumbled crackers, then mix that horrific glop together and devour. Why it happened idk but I'll eat chili with or without

Btw we're not talking box mac. No sir. Homemade velveeta-packing mac and cheese is on the table today.

• Like x 1
  7. thegrimsqueaker

I'm vaguely vegetarian (can't eat red meat), but I have my limits. turns out vegan chili mac hits all of them.

• Like x 1
  8. LadyNighteyes

Okay, vegan mac and cheese I will grant you. But isn't the kosher issue with chili mac meat and dairy in the same meal? It should be okay if the chili is vegetarian, right?

9. thegrimsqueaker

yeah, but the only time I've ever seen it done is vegan, bc that particular family refused to do things by halves. the result was not pretty. (I mean, I'm 90% sure that's the only reason chili mac is not ok. but that last 10% of me knows that somewhere, somehow, at least a dozen rabbis have come up w several reasons why chili isn't ever kosher. or mac and cheese. or both. if the argument could theoretically exist, chances are that a rabbi has argued it at some point.)

• Like x 1
  10. Imoyram

Imoyram Well-Known Member

never had chili and mac and cheese, but our family would dump some tomato sauce on mac and cheese
    tomato-ey mac and cheese

11. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

You could always make the chilli mac all in one pot: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/09/snap-challenge-one-pot-chili-pasta/
    (spoilers: it's delicious! :))

Change of topic:
    I've been spending the past two weeks at a general practitioner's office at the edge of the Dutch bible belt for my GP internship. People there are so very, very different than what I am used to, it's ridiculous. And you can tell the different denominations by the way they dress. So weird.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice