Culture Shock

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Raire, Mar 28, 2016.

1. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

@Deresto o-o I will have to try that some day! and yeah, we have a lot of places here, but when she was living in the middle of nowhere Illinois, my sister got desperate enough for mexican food that she went to a place called el rancherito, which wasn't very good but at least didn't have nearly as bad a track record of food poisonings as any other "ethnic" place in that college town

• Like x 1
  2. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

@EulersBidentity yeah, I saw a bunch when I was there a month ago, but no taco places, which brings me back to my original point: how do people live w/0 breakfast tacos?

• Like x 1
  3. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

@EulersBidentity

shock.png

i dunno why it's so surprising that some people haven't had tacos before but i just pulled the most scandalized face i could muster out of pure reflex from reading that sentence. that's like saying you've never had pizza. oh my god. now that i've typed that out i realize there are people who've never had pizza. whoa, i bet they've eaten something great before that i've never even heard of! i'm too tired for this shit.

• Like x 4
  4. EulersBidentity

EulersBidentity e^i*[bi] + 1

I think most of the burrito places also sell tacos? But not breakfast tacos afaik so your question stands. Personally, I eat yoghurt.

Edit: @Deresto hey pal, ever tried a chip butty? :D

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    • Like x 2
  5. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

can't say i have, no. i remember talking about them in gen chat though (i think it was gen chat?). that and the mysterious "brown sauce".

food is so interesting tbh, especially with how it relates to other cultures. it's like sharing a little bit of someone else's life; e.g. a friend sharing something they grew up eating with another friend who's having it for the first time. it brings people together. it's just super neat.

• Like x 4
  6. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I learned that filipino tortas are like some sort of omelette thing? And not sandwiches?

?!?!?!??!?!?

7. Aondeug

HOW HAVE YOU NEVER EATEN A FUCKING TACO I NEED TO FEED YOU RIGHT THIS INSTANT

• Like x 4
  8. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

Spanish tortillas are basically omelettes but with potatoes and savoury yummy stuff in them.

As a Bolivian with Mexican cousins who has been eating Mexican food for a long time, I almost find Taco Bell having anything near to "Mex" associated with it an insult. But then my reaction to Taco Bell was "why would anybody eat this, this is terrible". It's a hilarious contrast with my moirail who loves Taco Bell.

If you ever find a more traditional Mexican place, you guys should try chilaquiles. They are delicious. I made chilaquiles for my friends/housemates in college, and they still talk about them four years later :3

• Like x 2
  9. Aondeug

Spanish tortillas are legit the weirdest and most horrifying thing I have ever heard about. what is this. WHAT IS THIS??

Also yes. You must have chilaquiles. From many places and many people. There is a lot of variation in how people make them. In fact. You must learn to make your own. IT IS SUPER EASY TO DO OK. You must have all the Mexican food actually. ALL OF IT. But especially chilaquiles. Which is my FAVORITE BREAKFAST. Well that or menudo from the night before.

And on the subject of menudo I love menudo. It is great. And perfect. Posole is also great and perfect. I want posole now. Or maybe sopes? I JUST WANT MY CULTURE'S DELICIOUS FOOD.

And Taco Bell is great ok. I mean yeah it's not actual Mexican food but I don't go to it for real tacos. I go to Taco Bell because I hate myself and the quesarito or whatever horrifying thing they've made now tastes great. Especially those stupid doritos locos tacos. Those fucking things do not have any right tasting so good. God. Dammit.

• Like x 1
  10. Aondeug

Also funny story of culture shock is seeing how white families react to tamales during tamale season. Christmas time is just tamale time. Wherein you eat nothing but tamales for like two months straight because not only did every woman in the family make a fuck ton of the things but your family also decided that we needed to buy even more tamales from the nice woman selling them door to door. Which is lovely and great but you get sick of them after a point and then go an entire year without eating ANY of them only to await the next season of tamale hell.

But like my Irish American friends are just so...overjoyed at the tamales? And react to them like it is the most amazing and novel thing ever. Which to them it is. It's how I react to their fadge which is just...a really normal ass breakfast dish to them. But for me tamales are just so normal that it is strange seeing people so excited about the damn things. And cute. Very cute.

• Like x 3
  11. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

I get eating things not because they are real tacos. There was a chinese tex mex place near my college and I loved it and the quesadillas. They didn't taste anything like real quesadillas, at all, they were their own thing.

All I could find in Taco Bell was despair in food form. I do not understand. I tried it and my tastebuds shrank in fear and revulsion, the roof of my mouth undulated as it shrieked at the horrible plastic melt cheese, the slimy lettuce bits. My stomach roiled in rebellion. Eat your Taco Bell, brave warriors, just don't mind me going WTF WTF WTF in the corner.

• Like x 2
  12. Aondeug

more crunch wrap supremes for me then

WHOO.

• Like x 1
  13. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

Fun culture shock thing I just remembered! Those Kraft mac n cheese things? That was culture shock, because I saw friends eating them, and they didn't add anything, it was just the packet orange dust "chesese" and the noodles... and when I tried I nearly horked it up. And then I learned it was a cultural institution type thing, just, a THING. Like a loved thing. The only way I managed to eat those in college was by shoving a bunch of spices (I had bought cayenne and paprika and stuff freshman year which I used to flavour my ramen a bit more, spice it up), putting some milk, and putting real cheese in it.

I'm a US citizen, but in many ways, I find things in the USA utterly confusing. Give me PBJs, those are a good cultural food thing. Though I prefer jam to jelly.

• Like x 1
  14. Aondeug

You mean like easy mac? Easy mac is fucking boss. I mean it's terrible and it has to be made right but it's fucking boss. I like to make it so that the cheese powder hasn't entirely been turned into a sauce. So there's these clumps of cheese powder still on my noodles. It's fucking atrocious but I love it so.

Also speaking of shitty noodles you ever try putting American cheese in ramen? It's a thing I learned from a South Korean friend of mine and it's actually really good!

• Like x 1
  15. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

I think it IS easy mac. It is fucking atrocious.

Nope, never put any American cheese in ramen. Usually I just put in lime juice, peas for more veggies (frozen peas from the fridge), paprika, cayenne, ginger, garlic, maybe sriracha sauce if those spices weren't available, egg if I could. Frankly, I really like ramen like that. It just. wow my mouth started watering!

16. Aondeug

Oh gods yes. Doing stuff like that with ramen is lovely. My spices of choice are lime juice, fish sauce, white pepper, ginger, and MORE SALT though. I like to stick onions in mine too and left over meat I got.

Some days though I just want to put American cheese in it. It tastes like completely giving up and is lovely.

That or I just make the noodles and then drain out most of the water. Leaving enough to mix the flavor packet in the noodles and just it like that.

or i just pour the flavor packet in the bag and eat the noodles dry

• Like x 1
  17. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

@Raire Wait, were people making Kraft mac'n'cheese with no milk? You're definitely supposed to put milk in, it says so on the box. (It also says to put in like two tablespoons of butter but that's silly, it needs half a stick AT LEAST.)

...I'm definitely going to try putting spices in it next time I get my hands on it, though.

18. Imoyram

Imoyram Well-Known Member

Woah okay I'm in Quebec so far a few things have been weird.
    Bagged milk
    Apple grape juice??
    Also, there are like 5 layers to Montreal? Underground subway, actual ground, and then like 3 car driving Ramps stacked on each other.
    Whaaaa
    Also it takes foreeeeeever to drive anywhere. We were in the bus and they said like 30 ish minutes. It was a solid 40-45 minutes
    Also they salted everything at supper? They brought this big salt container and they salted each piece of their stew.

This is weird.

• Like x 3
  19. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

Breakfast tacos probably aren't a thing up in Pennsylvania, but then tacos hit all my sensory nope buttons so I might not be paying enough attention :P Breakfast quesadillas have started to be a thing, tho, at least in my house. Mozzarella and potato instead of sharper cheese and onion, plus whatever meat. (Quesadillas are Soft Food, okay, Suddenly Crunchy Vegetables feels awful. See also: why I will never order quesadillas at a restaurant.)

Agreed that kraft dinner/easy mac/whatever off-brand instant mac'n'cheese needs at least half a stick (1/4 cup) of butter, and DEFINITELY MILK. how do you even make it without milk, the "cheese" wouldn't rehydrate. I usually throw actual cheese in too, but overall it's a lot less spoon-draining than making Good Mac'n'Cheese with like. Cheese sauce and stuff.

• Like x 1
  20. a tiny mushroom

a tiny mushroom the tiniest

MEANWHILE, I am horrified that people could just have a gun in their bag and have it be fine. Like I am terrified of going to the US because of that.

Speaking of the US, one of my new friends here is from Utah and the other day I swear we spent like an hour comparing foods and what we name them.

The biscuit/cookie/scone/crumpet/flatbread/cracker discussion was intense and confusing and we basically just decided that none of our countries can name their baked goods properly.

• Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice