Cup of tea, cup of tea, almost killed Anaander Mianai, cup of tea? (Imperial Radch)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Aug 29, 2016.

1. blue

blue hightown funk you up

• Like x 1
  2. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

It may have been?

And she reblogged "i lik the breq".

3. pixels

pixels hiatus / only back to vent

i didn't know the 'i lik the breq' parody was from this and now i need all of it immediately. also so i can somehow make 'imperial @roach' puns

• Like x 3
  4. Petra

Petra space case

Oh, they can for you, Awn. They can for you.

Quote is from Chapter 2 of Ancillary Justice, and is Awn speaking about the Ime whistleblower that prevented a corrupt governer from killing a bunch of Rrrrrr and breaking the treaty with the Presger.

• Like x 8
  5. Petra

Petra space case

[​IMG]
    Tisarwat, made with the subeta human avatar dollmaker in my wardrobe.

• Like x 9
    • Like x 7
  6. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

Who else is psyched about Provenance?

(Even if it involves neither the Radch nor the (Provisional) Republic of Two Systems)

• Agree x 3
  7. OtherCat

OtherCat a being of mysterious happenstance

I am re-reading Ancillary Justice and I still think Breq's stubborn determination (and continuously stated desire) to shoot Anaander Miaanai is strangely funny. Especially the the face of Anaander Miaanai not seeming to understand this essential aspect of Breq's personality because she keeps trying to win her over.

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 2
  8. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Finished Mistborn so this is my next reading target. I got the first book. Will start on it tomorrow I guess and begin the liveblogging. Aww. Yes. All I can say right now is that I like the title a lot. That is a pretty title.

• Like x 1
  9. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

Oh, I love reading liveblogs for these books! Where will you be posting it?

10. Aondeug

Maybe here? Unless you're not comfortable with that then I can make a thread for itm

11. Aondeug

Started on the first one today. So far I am liking it. There is an awful lot of jargon being front loaded on the reader right off the bat. Some of it not being explained right away, including the whole what even our main character even is thing. I am fine with this though. I pick up jargon pretty quickly. I can see how that and the way in which Breq speaks might put off some people though. I like the "drowning in ten tons of jargon" method of learning though. Granted, that's probably because my method of learning several field's jargon is to read academic journals first and then MAYBE take an intro course.

I am really liking the space religions a lot. A lot. One of my biggest complaints with sci-fi is how fucking religionless a lot of it. When, no, I don't believe that once we get to the stars we're just going to give up all our religions and somehow become "better" and "more rational". Some might, but others will be taking their religion to space with them. I am also really like the space politics and space military. Military fic and heavy politically based fiction is some of my favorite shit. I vastly prefer Wicked the novel in part because of the greater focus on politics, and I'm absolutely in love with RepComm because it's military fic just set in the Star Wars universe.

I seem to be at home here. That is nice.

Thus far we're in some bitch's house with someone named Seivarden who is stoned out of her mind. Well she's coming off that high now, but she's been pretty fucking out of it for the past four chapters. Granted half those have involved flashbacks to somewhere called Ors and SPACE POLITICS.

• Like x 5
  12. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I’m rereading the series. The first time around I didn’t give it much thought because it’s only briefly mentioned, but I’m really curious about the “true Radch” that apparently exists inside a Dyson sphere at the center of the empire.

also *shakes Breq by the shoulders* SEIVARDEN IS IN LOVE WITH YOU YOU ABSOLUTE WALNUT

• Agree x 4
    • Winner x 3
  13. Aermin

Aermin New Member

I finally got around to reading Ancillary Justice a couple weeks ago - I heard people talking about it on Tumblr, but it took me a while to get around to it.

I went out and bought Sword the next day.

I should have known better. I had to go back to buy Mercy the day after that.

Has anyone read Provenance? I've heard mixed reviews about it.

14. kmoss

kmoss whoops

I like it! but if you go in expecting ancillary part four, that's not going to be satisfying

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Useful x 1
  15. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

It's definitely different from Ancillary. I liked it a lot, but many of the worldbuilding things that get people so hyped about Ancillary aren't there.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  16. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Yeah, it happens on a different planet outside the Radch. The characters and world stuff and themes are all great! They're just not the same as the Ancillary books', aside from the themes that are just Ann Leckie-isms.

• Informative x 1
  17. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

I adored provenance. I also went into it not realizing it was tied to the radch books, so, I was happily surprised to be getting anything new in that universe lol. But yeah, like others have said it’s set in a different place with different characters, so while it does take place after the other books if you go in looking for a sequel you’ll probably be at least a little disappointed.

18. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Does it take place after the Radch trilogy, or is it disconnected enough that that doesn’t really matter?

19. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Afterwards! The Conclave happening/being scheduled to happen is a minor plot point, as is the continuing collapse of the Radch and everyone being like 'ok what the hell even happened there.'

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice