Curious about unusual stress/danger responses

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Kemmasandi, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

In the moment, I have no fucking fear.

About a month ago, I was held up at gunpoint at the Mount Baker light rail station in Seattle. The conversation went roughly like this:

Robber: hand it over
    Me: no
    Robber: I'll shoot you
    Me: no you won't
    Robber: I've taken the safety off
    Me: no you haven't, don't bullshit me
    Robber: I'll shoot you!
    Me: in front of these security cameras? What kind of idiot are you?
    Robber: <runs away>

My heart rate didn't even change.

• Like x 4
  2. Kemmasandi

Kemmasandi Optimus Prime's disapproving eyebrows

I feel like I should express some sort of sympathy but that is kind of badass.

• Like x 1
  3. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Sort of a delightful mixture of badass and utterly lacking in self-preservation.

• Like x 3
  4. Vierran

Vierran small and sharp

I Absolutely Cannot Deal with other people wondering if I'm okay.

The time I flipped my bike in a busy intersection, I picked myself and the bike up and walked the mile home, because cars were pulling over and it was stressful. I had a moderate concussion, but that was less important than telling people I was fine so they'd leave me alone.

When there are things that don't directly affect me, I do the cold thing. I prioritize what needs to be done, determine what help I can give, give it, and get out of the way. I almost never am the person who rushes over to ask if someone is okay, but if someone falls and I can catch them before they hit their head, I do. When I called an ambulance for Boyfriend, I also made sure he had his phone and his wallet and clean clothes and so on, so he'd be comfortable at the hospital. The emotional reaction part just doesn't kick in until afterwards.

• Like x 2
  5. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

SAME
    why is people fussing over one so very... intrusive and unpleasant? No get your hands off me it doesn't matter that I've split my skull open i'll walk it off

• Like x 1
  6. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I get avoidant or outright bitchy when fussed after.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice