Customer Service Thread

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by tickingnectarine, Aug 27, 2016.

1. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

...is someone about to go missing?

• Agree x 1
  2. If someone is, it’s me.
    I’ve been avoiding offing myself for years.

• Witnessed x 1
  3. Shoplifter just walked out the door with a (stolen) gift bag of merchandise and told us “fuck you.” What?

• Witnessed x 9
  4. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

we have a customer who supposedly brought a suit in for alterations in 2017, and now can't find it and is convinced we have it. none of the people who worked at this location then are here anymore and neither is his suit, so he's throwing a huge fit.

• Witnessed x 11
  5. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

Shifts at my new job are 9 hours long and I get an hour off the clock for lunch. Last job shifts were 8 hours and I got half an hour off. I’ve encountered two problems.

1: I only work 3 days a week at this point because they only want to give me 25 hours a week, and I’m not in school this year, leaving me with unprecedented ENORMOUS amounts of free time and no money to enjoy it.

2: I have no idea what to do at lunch for an hour. I’m considering bringing a book or some embroidery or something, because it only takes me about 15 minutes to buy and eat fast food.

• Witnessed x 2
  6. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

I vote for the embroidery, there's a lot of progess to potentially be made in 45 minutes.

I do the same for oncall shifts, bringing embroidery/sewing projects, or books.

• Agree x 3
  7. turtleDove

...I think that even if you did still have it, it'd be legally classed as abandoned property by this point anyways. Or at least they'd owe for storage fees. Two years is a hell of a long time to just leave a suit at a shop.

• Agree x 4
  8. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

right? and he remembers so little about the whole thing i'd bet he picked it up and then misplaced it, but honestly who knows. we got customer service to put some extra points on his account so he'd stop yelling, and i hope he uses them to buy things online and doesn't come back here.

• Witnessed x 2
  9. Sethrial MacCoill

I really need to thank my new work for making a bad mental health situation slightly easier to manage. This one is going to take a little explaining, so buckle in.

So, in roughly 2006 I started showing symptoms of bipolar disorder, specifically mood swings (that no one commented on being extreme for a 13 year old) and delusions (that I mostly kept to myself). In 2012 I got diagnosed as bipolar type 2 (was still keeping the delusions to myself). The six years in between were the intersection of paranoia, delusions of grandeur, magical thinking, and a bad home life. Talked about that stuff with a psych in like 2015 and got my diagnosis updated to bipolar type 1. Same medication, same dosage, but now we know more.

Never had a hallucination, though. Thought I was a literal god from age 13 to 19, but not a single visible or audible hallucination in all that time. Not until about a week ago when I started hearing metal being dragged across concrete when I shouldn't have been hearing much of anything. First time I was wearing ear plugs and it was the middle of the night. Second time it was while I was cooking dinner, listening to music. Third time was tonight in the car.

It's not a really upsetting or disruptive hallucination. I can't ignore it or tune it out, but it's not anything negative. If I were a horror movie fan I would probably have some really bad associations with sounds like that, that would send me spiraling into paranoia that some slasher was coming to get me. Freddy scraping his claws. Pyramid Head dragging his big fuckoff sword. Shit like that.

Right now, it mostly sounds like someone's dragging an insulation blower through the hardware store where I work.

10. leitstern

leitstern 6756 Shatter Every Sword Break Down Every Door

Ha ha. It’s always.... weirdly vindicating when your (General you) mental health tries to take a nosedive into the scarier and crazier and it just.... comes across as overdone and silly.

• Agree x 4
  11. Sethrial MacCoill

My brain: OOOoOOOOooooHHH! ARE YOU READY FOR HORROR THE LIKES OF WHICH YOU'VE NEVER IMAGINED?

Me: I'm trying to sleep over here, but I like your fog machine and polyester cape.

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 1
  12. Just worked a 9 hour shift on black friday and surivived, go me!

• Winner x 8
  13. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

First job: three or four days, including training, at a somewhat fancy sandwich chain. I took orders on the phone. they would tell me they wanted a turkey sandwich. lady we have like six turkey sandwiches, and I cant rattle off all of them because I don't know the thirty sandwich long menu that well yet. I think it was baggins.

second: a month at a donut shop/ice cream place. lost it due to mental health reasons, same as previous job. kind of boring, some asshole yelled at me because I forgot the waffle cones were a little more expensive. stop yelling at teenagers in front of your kids, dude.

third: goodwill, I made my previous posts in this thread about that one. lost the job in late summer due to being late more times than the policy allows. that job lasted about a year

current job: mcdonalds. I hate it but I like my coworkers and managers, and I appreciate having a decent amount of hours for once. people are dicks but my resting bitch face is stronk. refraining from punching Maga hat wearers is honestly the hardest part. also those thin blue line shirts. I cant see my own country's flag without being distrustful of the persons intentions anymore. its been great. im kind of numb to the rebel flag at this point but I still give them the not-quite-stink-eye stink eye.

I look forward to one day having a desk job. and makin 11 or 12 dollars an hour. and earning vacation instead of requesting off and feeling like im missing out on money

• Witnessed x 4
  14. Anomal(eee)

Anomal(eee) Grumblepunk Gremlin

Psst current desk job haver here, and just fyi if you're working in a largeish city once you hit the cubicle farms and not getting $14+ and accruing time off and getting benefits, the job is below standard and it won't hurt to keep looking even if you take the job as a step up in the meantime. Lots of employers like to make it sound like they're bending over backwards for their employees when they're not even keeping up with industry standards for employee benefits, which is something I wish I knew about 5 years ago

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 2
  15. bornofthesea670

I know that was really cheap (11-12) but it would still make a good little step up in terms of standard of living and living strictly paycheck to paycheck. I have no idea how my coworkers manage to rear children on our wages. I live in a shitty, slumlord filled, high-rent college town, and once goober is back in my area we're going to do some more serious thinking about where to properly settle down. cause west virginia aint it, chief

• Witnessed x 1
  16. bornofthesea670

my little bro is going to be my first roommate and he's making half of what I do because he has autism and a fast food kitchen isn't the greatest job for him right now. we're working out something that he would would enjoy better/do well at. also its a bad time of the year for hours. hes working 2 or 3 ddays a week, and my hours stay pretty good but it's still like. working with about 1400-1500 a month. also in order to move out at all I need a car. and im still nervous about driving on the roads once they get icy. im so out of practice (I passed the test, but I was very used to the area around the testy place) that driving on curved mountain roads still makes me nervous, and hills, and CURVES ON HILLS, and the freeway, and it will all get harder/scarier when it gets frozen. I don't often regret leaving Arizona, but damn the roads were easy to drive on.

also Morgantown is full of one way roads; FUCKIN WHY

• Witnessed x 2
  17. turtleDove

Okay, tips for that from someone who lives in an area that routinely gets icy roads during the winter? 1) Winter tires. Studded tires, even, if you can afford them! All-seasons can kinda cope once it gets to freezing temps, but they're not rated for anything really below -5C or so (from what I recall) and they don't cope well with low-traction terrain in the cold. Winter tires are specifically meant for cold, low-traction terrain. 2) If it's icy or snowy? Go slow. Stay all the way over in the passing lane if you gotta, and (of course) go the minimum speed limit - but go "the skies have opened up and it's hydroplane weather" levels of slow. This means that winter driving usually requires more time to get from point A to point B than warm-weather driving does, but it's better to take longer to get where you're going than to deal with the stress of sliding on the road. 3) If you can get practice before you move out and it becomes Mandatory to drive places? Do so.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  18. bornofthesea670

im definitely going to try the studded tires. hell, i'd put spikes on them if I could. my grandma says all seasons are fine, but she has been drving for decades and also just kind of shrugs off sliding down a hill a lil bit.

• Witnessed x 1
  19. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Since their traditional burnt offerings of couches to the football gods have been taken from them, they must compensate by forcing motorists into tracing eldritch sigils in praise of sportsball, Good Omens style. </another West Virginian>

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  20. turtleDove

Yyyyeah, no. There was a whole bit on CBC Radio about how you actually do need to swap over to winter tires if the weather's got any chance of going down below -5C or -10C? And how all-seasons aren't really designed to cope well with ice or snow, because they can't get enough grip. "All seasons are fine" is for when you're only getting brief overnight frost.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice