D&D chatter

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Socket

Socket fuzzy tabletop goblin

@Helen of Boy - Judging by that quote, I might have to check out Dice Friends. :P

• Winner x 1
  2. Helen of Boy

Helen of Boy Hugcrafter Pursuivant

In case you're not yet sold completely, here are some of the other horrors that Dale has decided to populate Chult with:

• Crepuscular Burrowing Shrieking Gnats, which can't burrow into people well enough so they shriek and use the force of being slapped instinctively to help them;
    • Stiltpuffers, also known as "hexapedal fungus elephants" because no one remembered what they looked like when he used a made-up name;
    • Every venomous species in the Monster Manual I'm pretty sure;
    • Dinosaurs, especially the large, flying, and/or venomous kind;
    • Mosquitoes of sufficient size to roll for initiative;
    • The aforementioned flyckopedes;
    • Evil trees (presumably other kinds of trees as well);
    • Undead versions of all the above;
    • People. Who are sometimes friendly, but can also be real jerks;
    • I guess undead people, too, but those have been less of a problem for our heroes thus far.
    At one point, Snak's player, Graham, mentioned that they should avoid dead bodies because they might attract "become undead or attract detritivores" to which Dale's response was "That's a very good point, but if I had to make one small correction, it would be to remove the 'or' there." Because undead detritivores are a legit concern.

...now I kinda wanna download and learn to use video editing software to make some "Best of LRR" videos, particularly for things like Dice Friends which are proper series. I have learned so many new and interesting ways to make things Fun for my players, it's really been an inspiration.

3. Erica

Erica occasionally vaguely like a person

Anyone got tips for good pre-made adventures for 5e?
    I wanna keep doing the thing but anxiety + increased university workload makes for a really bad combo so I'm thinking I'll try my hand at adapting instead of creating until things chill out for a bit and I feel more confident with things

(party's 4 people, level 3)

4. Helen of Boy

Helen of Boy Hugcrafter Pursuivant

Depends on what, specifically, you want. Do you want individual adventures, a longer campaign, etc.?

It sounds like you want individual adventures that can be customized some and integrated into what you're already doing, and if that's right, I'd probably recommend Tales from the Yawning Portal. It's an anthology of classic adventures updated for 5e, and adjusted to fit different levels of characters. The second adventure, The Forge of Fury, is actually for a 3rd level party. The book has some neat new materials and I thiiink some story hook suggestions, but it should be something you can get a fair few adventures out of all in one place, and take characters up to the top of their levels.

The individual adventures (plus recommended level/level progression) are:
    • The Sunless Citadel 1-3
    • The Forge of Fury 3-5
    • The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan 5-8
    • White Plume Mountain 8+
    • Dead in Thay 9-11+
    • Against the Giants 11-14
    • Tomb of Horrors “high-level”
    So, it's a bunch of classic adventures that hold up moderately well, with a variety of settings and enemies and the like. It's also relatively easy to adapt the individual adventures into other campaigns, settings, games, and so on. I've seen some talk in reviews about it being one of the best books for newer DMs because of it, too.

• Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  5. The Frood Abides

The Frood Abides Doesn't Know Where His Rug Is

I particularly like Forge of Fury and Against the Giants out of that book.

6. I am gonna be running a game of Mutants and Masterminds with my brother and his gf. They've already made their characters, Lightning Rod (an archaeologist with a magical lightning sword) and Psi-Spy (exactly what it says) respectively, and I think I know what one of the major subplots will be: I'm going to subtly push them to join and/or create the Not The Avengers. I've already made a stand-in for captain america, now I gotta make ant man, iron man and hulk stand-ins. Plus all the villains. And other NPCs, and setting details, and a few plot ideas, and...

• Like x 5
    • Winner x 2
  7. Kodachi

Kodachi Well-Known Member

Be prepared for when they don't take the plot hook. "I leave with my friends!"

8. Well if they don’t bite, at least I’ll have some interesting NPCs for the game.

• Like x 1
  9. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

"Be prepared for when they don't take the plot hook" is just, general advice for every GM ever.

• Agree x 6
  10. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. Update on my game with my brother and his girlfriend.

my bro is fine with having a team but the gf isn’t, so we’re gonna stick with the dynamic duo plus NPCs. Still good! Still interesting! Getting input from the players is important.

The first session was mostly a test run. I haven’t been a GM for four years, and it’s a new system for them, so we had the heroes meet up for the first time and stop a bank robbery together.

Fight- Lightningrod and Psi-Spy versus Snowman and Hotshot. The villains had melted the bank doors shut so our heroes had to find another way in. Psi-spy teleported in while invisible, while Lightningrod was very visible due to the whole “thunder and lightning” thing. He got a good hit in on Hotshot while Psi-spy used her mind control to keep Snowman out of the fight. Then Lightningrod missed his next attack. And the next one. Then Hotshot hit him with a fireball and stunned him (so he lost his next turn), twice. Ouch. Meanwhile, Psi-Spy is making Snowman freeze and shatter the bank doors so the police outside can help apprehend the criminals. Lightningrod finally recovers and takes out both the bad guys with one electrified sword slash, which was totally awesome. The heroes won!

It was a close call there- characters in M&M don’t have HP, the amount of “damage” they suffer from an attack depends on a saving throw (ranging from a -1 penalty to their next save, to being stunned, to being knocked out or incapacitated. Or dead, but no ones dying in this game unless the plot says so). Lightningrod took a couple bad hits and probably would’ve gone done next turn, but instead he took out both the opponents (who didn’t actually have defensive powers). Psi-spy was fine because she was just. Invisible and mind controlling people.

After being congratulated by the police and thanked for their help, the heroes officially introduced themselves to each other and went to dinner. We now have an NPC names Fred the Waiter, we love him. The players like Officer Naomi Thompson, too. All in all this was a good session! Now to prepare for the next one.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  12. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any recommendations for dice rolling apps?

13. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

For the android I use dicebag. (Or dice bag? One of the two)

14. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

Thanks, I’ll see if it’s available on iOS

15. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

Fun times for a player to crit fail: when trying to restart a nuclear reactor

• Witnessed x 10
    • Agree x 1
  16. Socket

Team Jailbird Update x2 Combo, Part 2, FINALE. A lot later than expected and under a cut, because oops my summary turned into narrative again, someone stop me.

In two parts because character limit, oops

Let it never be said that Team Jailbird don't know how to make an entrance. Up the stairwell towards what we knew had to be the Big Bad's castle, we found a wooden panel blocking our way.

Here's how that panned out.

Tsalta: I give it a very careful push at arms' length with my warhammer.
    DM: It gives at first, it swings out a little before catching as though on some kind of latch or a lock.
    Tsalta: I turn and whisper to Nothing, "Can you burn it?"
    Nothing: I Fire Bolt it.
    DM, in the 'are you absolutely certain about that' tone we all know very well: You Fire Bolt the panel?
    Nothing, OOC: (shrugs) Ain't like I got any other fire spells.
    DM, grinning: See, if this had been me, perhaps I'd have looked for any...hidden levers, switches, locks...
    Nothing, OOC: (lifting character sheet for all to see) Unfortunately, it's me. See here, in my flaws? "Prone to rash decisions." Tsalta asked if I can burn it...I stick out my wand arm past Tsalta and I Fire Bolt it.
    DM: Okay. SO. Tsalta, you lean aside as Nothing unleashes a streak of flame from her wand that blasts a hole into this panel, and you see books on the other side go flying - all on fire. The bookshelf - because this was a bookshelf - is now ablaze, and from the other side you hear snarls and the clattering of weapons - "STAND TO - THEY'RE HERE!"
    -

So, the good news: we snuck up on the castle, bypassing the Collector's jackalwere patrols and removing any chance of her being alerted to our presence.

The bad news: we smashed through her bookcase, into what essentially may as well have been her front room. She was there. Her lackeys were there. The ritual gate was there.

What happened next went so badly, you guys. We killed precisely one (1) jackalwere, wounded two or three, before...

⦁ The Collector snaps her fingers and renders Faeleth blind and deaf in the middle of combat. (Sidenote: you know what Faeleth doesn't handle well? Vulnerability.)
    ⦁ Fergus succeeds on about four concurrent Wisdom saving throws against the gang of jackalweres doing their Fergus Go Sleepy-Time eyes at him...and fails at the fifth and final throw. Goodnight, sweet monk.
    ⦁ Two jackalweres turn on Tsalta with a net. The dice gods do not smile on her despite her +3 to strength, and she's entangled and dragged to the ground.
    ⦁ Nothing, the last party member standing, sees all this happen around her. It looks bad, but if she can drop more than one jackalwere (and two of them are looking rough) and give Fergus a swift kick to wake him up, perhaps the tide could turn. She picks out the ones that look the worst and casts Scorching Ray.
    ⦁ Her wand goes putt-putt-putt and coughs out embers, because this plan went to hell as fast as you can say "Counterspell." And then the jackalweres' eyes turn on her, and boom: naptime.

It was rough!! Fergus and Nuth had it easy - they were sound asleep for the process of being stripped of their weapons and thrown in cells. Faeleth and Tsalta, though, god. D:

The Collector took great personal care to ensure Tsalta's belongings were removed: while the jackalweres kept her pinned in the net, she fished out Tsalta's gorgeous seven-foot mane of braids and gave her a quick-n-dirty haircut with her dagger. It was the worst. The worst. (The good news: She didn't bother with the smaller braids around Tsalta's ears, only the bulk of her hair, so she missed her Stone of Farspeech we were using to communicate with the Demon Hunters.)

So that's how we all ended up caged, half of us asleep, the other half experiencing no small amount of trauma (I felt terrible for Faeleth in particular, because that spell didn't wear off for an entire hour and she had no idea what was happening or if anyone was even with her until Nuth woke up. She was curled up in a corner hyperventilating, pretty much) while the Collector got to work on her ritual.

The good news: It's a blood ritual, but just the 'here let me cut your hand and press your palm on the stone' kind. Like, she wasn't particularly gentle about it, but it's not child sacrifice. Silver linings! Also, because she's got a lot of kids to get through, the process takes forever because she's got to try them one at a time. And because it takes so long, everyone wakes up and Faeleth finally gets her lost senses back.

The bad news: Oh, THERE's Tsalta's kid - no way it's not Rosa, there's no mistaking that shade of auburn and the curiously large sticky-outy, peaked ears for a kid that looks otherwise human. We're stuck in cages and if Rosa's blood meets that stone we're definitely in a hellmouth situation.

(The....news...?: In an attempt to get someone to open her cage so she can bolt for her gear, Nuth yells at the Collector half-way through her ritual - "Oi! Try me, maybe that'll do something, huh? I've got demon blood, don't I, ain't it worth a go?"

She pauses the ritual. And like, we all knew it wasn't going to work, but she comes up face-to-face with Nuth through the bars to point out that she 'isn't stupid enough to test the blood of Mammon's herald'. And that's how Nuth finally learns her patron's name after four years of not asking lest she speak out of turn. Inside her mind, he assures her that help is coming - and as she watches the Collector continue her work, she feels herself flooded by a bitter rage that super isn't coming from her, unable to do much but stand and seethe and tremble.)

And then, at last, the demon hunters have made it to where we are. As has Gandalf, Tsalta's ex, which was very surprising!! The Collector sends her lackeys to delay the troops' arrival, rushes the ritual, gets Rosa's hands on there, and peaces out through a trapdoor while Team Jailbird escape their cells with the help of Gandalf's magic.

What happens next is a frantic scrabble to retrieve our weapons, eagerly aided by Rosa who turns out to be a huge help! She makes quick work of finding a bow and as many silver arrows as she can find for Tsalta - the kid is sharp as a tack. We carve our way through the very few jackalweres left in the room easily, and the quasits pouring out of the gate didn't know what hit them.
    (Arms of Hadar is what hit them. The room is abruptly littered with little pieces of quasit as they are literally smashed apart.)

Nuth furiously scrubs away Rosa's blood with her sleeve while the rest of the party take care of what few enemies remain. By the time the demon hunters make it through the door, it's all dealt with. Rosa, from Tsalta's shoulders where she was hoisted to keep her from danger, asks, "So, are you my ma?"

So that's good, right? All looking pretty peachy - families reunited, Collector cornered hopefully, ritual averted, demon hunters on the scene?

Nah. Not all good at all, it turns out.

While Tsalta has a much-needed heart to heart with her long-lost daughter (who can't wait to see Uncle Bobby again. Oh no), Commander Cerios ushers Nothing aside into another room to have a chat.

(For the first time, I get a DM whisper! The DM and I go out into the hallway to go sit on the stairs together and have a little one-to-one scene.) First, he praises her on her performance - she's proved herself a worthy member of the guild. Nuth is thrilled - even moreso as Cerios explains they have a common benefactor: her patron, Mammon. That burning demon skull logo? Mammon's crest. He knows! He knows and he's not about to shank her! (Can you see how bad this is about to get? Yeah. Yeah.)

Cerios goes on - that fancy cloak she got from the tailor, does Nothing know how long it takes to make one? Weeks. HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME, thinks Nuth, feeling super cool and *~chosen~*. So chosen! So cool!

And now there's just one tiny favour the followers of Mammon have to ask of her. A tiny thing. Just a drop of her blood.

IMMEDIATE UNEASE.

Then it's revelation after revelation, none of them pleasant.

a) Cerios calls in Sanity - Nothing's aunt, who ordered the assassination of the rest of the family. He explains she's a double-agent and her working for the Collector was a ruse. :)
    b) When Nothing is understantably uneasy by the arrival of her parents' murderer clad in demon hunter regalia, he tries to placate her with an explanation that only makes it so, so much worse. It's fine, she's fine - Sanity only ordered that killing because Mammon willed it. :)))))
    c) So, yeah. That blood! Just a drop of Nothing's blood, right on that archway, and together we can call Mammon forth into the material plane and rule dominion? Sound good? :)))))))))

Soooo NOTHING'S LIFE IS A LIE, a carefully engineered scheme all to put her in a position where she'd be desperate enough to take an offer like 'hey, fancy trading your soul for those sweet magicks?' and be rendered Mammon's indebted dependent.

GREAT. COOL. THIS IS FINE.

She smiles and does her best to look like she's not screaming on the inside, and says, "Wow, okay. Big life decision, that. Do I get some time to think on it, or...?"

Cerios smiles back. "Of course. Take all the time you need. We're not going anywhere." And then his smile abruptly drops. "And neither are you."

ohhhhh shit :))))))))

-

Meanwhile, the rest of the party regain their belongings.

Nothing returns to the main hall, and beelines for the cage her street sibs are locked in. Cerios clears his throat - doesn't Nuth have other important matters to attend to? "She manages to blag five minutes. The DM asks me to 'roll deception or pursasion, don't tell me which' as Nuth reaches for the kids through the bars and promises it'll all be okay soon. It wasn't a great roll. The kids could tell that Nuth didn't know herself which of those two things she was rolling for.

There's a tense stand-off between Nothing and the demon hunters once her five minutes are up, but she stands firm - Cerios said she had time, and she's got things she needs to do first. The Collector needs taking care of. Then, and only then, will she make her decision. (Mammon's voice rumbles in the back of her mind - attend to your duties - but for the first time, she refuses - she needs time!!) They don't like this at all - but as Zandar (one of the high-ups of the order) starts to kick off, Mammon intervenes: they cannot force the child if she is unwilling, as they know full well. He spits at her feet in disgust but says no more.

What nobody pays attention to during all this drama is Fergus, our resident stonesmith, chisel in hand, surreptitiously chipping away at the gate, picking all the right points to structurally weaken it.... and with a crash, the gate falls to a useless pile of rune-covered rubble.

The good news: Nothing's dilemma is solved for her! Thanks Fergus, you averted multiple potential apocalypses!

The bad news: Cerios is absolutely livid. He storms up to Nothing to berate her - she's not going to do the deed? - and suddenly his eyes are glowing like goddamn coals. And in Mammon's voice, he admonishes..."himself", actually. The child is the herald, not him! Embodied through Cerios, Nothing's patron then turns to her, and warns her this: should she fail, there will be consequences. Then as the glow fades from Cerios' eyes, he looks almost scared. That initial fury wasn't all his own. Nothing knows that feeling.

Cerios dismisses the party - they might as well make themselves useful, after what they've gone and done. There's no fixing it now. And so they do, letting themselves down the trapdoor she ran away through...

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 2
  17. Socket

AAaaaand Part 2 of Part 2. Part 2.5???

Chasing down the Collector involves a series of tricks and traps that echoed the party's early challenges back when they were tiny little Level Twos.

Trap #1 - A suspiciously normal corridor. Instead of thundering ahead, Tsalta summoned a cow with her conjuring horn and sent it before us. Though the cow met a terrible fate in the hidden spike pit below, at least it wasn't a party member this time!

Trap #2 - A statue in an alcove - a woman with folded arms and a stern stare. Instead of running across its path and getting her head smashed against a wall, Nothing rolls a candle (we bought a lot of candles in Einhorn) along the floor to confirm it's another Magic Missile trap, activated by touching a rune on a tile. The party edge around it and continue unharmed.

Trap #3 - Three doors at the end of the hallway. When opening one reveals a pair of gelatinous cubes, the party do something they've never done before: go 'you know what? actually fuck this!' and shut the door again.

Unfortunately, there's worse news than oozes behind one of the doors. At first, no-one enters it because opening it even a crack was deeply unpleasant - whatever was inside stank of something super dead, so screw that noise. But Faeleth took a few minutes to finagle the lock on the final unchecked door, and Tsalta's morbid curiosity got the better of her.

Turns out it was a torture chamber, one that was very much used. The elven woman in the seat at the back of the room was without question long gone, and in enough of a state to warrant an immediate Constitution saving throw for poor Tsalta. She tells Faeleth, because though she can't be sure, she's got a terrible feeling about the body.

Unfortunately that terrible feeling is spot-on. Faeleth's day goes from 'pretty traumatic' to 'utterly devastating' as she realises the Collector's threats were never empty. She retrieves a charm bracelet from her mother's body, and Tsalta (seeing that Faeleth is Not Okay) comes inside to wash the dried blood from Faeleth's hands and the bracelet alike. She gently shepherds Faeleth out of the room, and stays close to her thereafter at all times.

Anyway. Trap #4 - After discovering the hidden doorway in the room Faeleth unlocked, the party exit into a large cavern. Nuth, Fergus and Tsalta both scour the roof for any stalectites moving. (Faeleth doesn't, but who can blame her.) It's a smart move, but a massive misdirection because guess what nobody was looking at? The stalagmites below! If anyone had bothered to check, they'd notice that a couple of the spires were bleeding before they'd lunged to take a chunk out of Faeleth and Fergus' arms. Our DM loves mimics. We should have known he'd find an excuse to add some.

Luckily they were quickly dispatched. Even when she's busy in the grief pit Faeleth's efficient with a blade, and thanks to the Team Jailbird Special Roll (we get so many Natural 1s followed by Natural 20s on the luck die, laws of probability be damned) Nuth's misfired Eldritch Blast brought a stalactite down on the other one's head.

And then that leaves Team Jailbird standing in front of a big wrought-iron gate in the cave wall that absolutely screams 'Final Boss Ahead'. Nuth blasts off the rusty lock. Final Boss, go.
    In the torchlit chamber beyond the final hall, the Collector notes that she's been caught up with, but doesn't seem concerned - save a flicker of irritation across her features, she remains as cool and smug as ever. But before she can take her leave, a portcullis slams down across the only other exit. And an elderly female voice with the Red Larch accent that Nuth knows ever-so-well shouts out from beyond, "I hope they slaughter you where you stand!"

(Anyone remember Moira, the little old halfling apothacaress who we all thought was a secret baddie? Turns out granny's actually a secret badass! GET 'ER MOIRA!!)

The first thing the Collector does is raise a shimmering hand towards Nothing, gesturing out to the rest of the party: "Blast them away." Good thing she's a warlock because the saving throw wasn't amazing - that proficiency bonus to Wisdom saves was the only thing stopping the Geas taking hold. Yikes. His voice thunders out of her mouth: This one is spoken for!
    So then the Collector goes for her next backup plan and tries to feign teleportation with an illusion. Nuth, who knows magic bullshit when she sees it, takes aim...and as the Eldritch Blast connects, the lamia's visible again and now she's not looking nearly so serene. At long last, we see her recognise the party as a genuine threat. :)c

She isn't wrong. Faeleth absolutely goes for her, consumed by fury (and that's new for everyone else, because before now Faeleth's only ever worn a smirk or that blank and focussed assassin's stare in battle), Tsalta charges in with her warhammer, Nuth fires off spell after spell from across the room and Fergus...does his best. The dice weren't really with him that fight. He doesn't manage to land a hit before the Collector

a) taps him on the head to deliver a curse, and
    b) sends him skidding across the room with a battering swipe of her paw - and he doesn't rise from where he falls.

(Nothing tries to throw the first of Spindle's darts at the Collector's eye and fails miserably - her crass insult to goad the lamia into looking up at her was effective enough, but she's so incensed by the counter-insult she recieves that she flings the dart backwards with how fiercely she raises her hand. It shatters against the wall behind her. She decides to stick to magic, and trails the Collector around the room to keep in range with her Witch Bolt.)

Faeleth goes down next under the lamia's claws, and though she's promptly revived by Tsalta and manages to land a strike that costs the Collector the use of her left forelimb, that very act gains Faeleth her undivided attention. This time she loses a chunk of her ear as she's struck across the face and neck, and our rogue hits the stone once again...

So uh it looked PRETTY BAD???

Nobody could get to Faeleth without prompting an attack, and nobody was at high enough HP at this point to dare risk it. (Tsalta had fed a potion to Fergus, but one lesser healing potion's worth of HP ain't a lot.) Wyrm ended up spending her Inspiration to negate a Nat 1 death saving throw?? It was tense??

Luckily, there was lots of unspent Inspiration to go around: Tsalta used it to crit with her arrow, and at last, the Collector is clearly on her last legs. Like, 1HP last legs.

But even on death's door, she's a piece of work. Even with her paws buckling beneath her, she's got enough fight left to engage in a final act of spite. She drops the dagger in her hand and casts Major Image, filling the room with an awful montage of everything she knows will hurt the party to see. Every death - Spindle, Hand, Holgar, Bobby, playing out all over again. I will always be glad Faeleth was unconscious for this part, because her mother is among those pictured.

And with the last of her strength, the Collector takes a last swipe at Fergus for a whopping 33HP of damage. Ouch. :( On the plus side, he's gonna have some really sick chest scars to show off now!

Nuth lets her Witch Bolt fade against all her common sense telling her that's stupid, and grabs another dart. She made a promise to put these darts through her fucking eyes in Spindle's stead, and she's not going to break it.

And you know what I roll? An eight. Because the dice don't care about narrative closure and sentiment, the dice are cruel impassive gods of random number generation.

Have I talked about Twists of Fate? Our DM handed out a card to each of us at the start of the game, on which we could write a single change to events...within reason, we would be granted what we asked for. At this point, everyone had used theirs: Spindle's player to make Gandalf his grandfather, Tsalta's player to make the death of Gandalf's dog his fault instead of hers, and mine to make the then-mysterious Sanity a relative to Nothing's family.

Wyrm, though, had hoarded hers the whole game, waiting for some perfect time. But now she hands the card to the DM, on which she's simply written, "The dart hits."

The DM takes a look, and describes the way that despite the fact that Nuth can tell she's screwed up her aim and that it's going to fall short and skitter on the tiles...it doesn't. It's buoyed up in the air, impossibly, as a swirl of thick white mist spins around it and billows out to fill the room, blotting out all the awful images of death and despair and replacing them with a familiar pea-soup fog.

(I think at this point everyone at the table was just, like, YELLIN.)

A few moments pass, as Tsalta's eyes well up and Nuth stares in joyous wide-eyed amazement, and then the fog clears, and all the illusions are gone. The Collector's leonine body stumbles. And with a dull thud, she falls to the ground lifeless, Spindle's dart lodged deep into her eye.

---

We won, you guys. Everyone made it out alive - Tsalta was fast to get potions to Fergus and Faeleth once it was all over, of course. The kids are safe, the gate is forever closed, Tsalta is reunited with her long-lost daughter, Faeleth gets a house built for her in Fryberg courtesy of Fergus, and...Nothing's not a warlock any more. Consequences.

But hey, you win some, you lose some! Time for my rowdy daughter to go Rogue. :)c

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 2
  18. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

not actually D&D or even D&D-adjacent like Path/Starfinder, but... i just learned there's a 1-page ttrpg called Jason Statham's Big Vacation. the goal is take renowned actor Jason Statham on vacation and make sure he has a nice time. the pdf is half typed and half handwritten. my friends and i might be playing it as a 1-shot tonight.

Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 2.01.18 PM.png

https://www.patreon.com/posts/jason-stathams-18216433 (free pdf download)

i don't even know

• Winner x 3
    • Informative x 1
  19. Toaster

Toaster Active Member

The party in my game is currently doing a side quest/character loyalty mission where they chased down the boss of a kobold slavery ring (himself a kobold, because you can be a bastard to your own species just fine if you're self-centered enough). Tonight they tricked their way into his lair aboard a slave-transport wagon they got by ambushing some of his minions, and I had grand plans for him throw around some nasty spells, then sic his bodyguards on them and run away down a trapped secret corridor when he dropped below half HP.

...well, he dropped below half HP, all right. I cheated on his stats because this party tends to treat my enemies as piñatas, but they got a surprise round and he rolled shitty initiative, so they got him down to ONE HIT POINT before he even got to move. At which point he Hasted the fuck out of there before he even got to use a single one of the nastier spells I'd loaded him with.

I'm very proud of my players' murder skills! I was on the edge of my seat the last couple turns before he went, though, because HOLY FUCK I thought they were gonna take him out before he'd even made a move.

(They also barely touched the bodyguards, or his cloaked mystery ally, and just went straight for him. They REALLY HATE this guy. Something about a kobold selling out his own people touched a serious nerve.)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    • Like x 5
    • Informative x 1
  20. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

we just made our characters for a new game, its my first time playing 5e :0

my character is Makolm Amberry, a half elf bard who i dont quite know much about yet?

I rolled their personality with various random generators so ive got:
    Risk taker/trusting/rarely courteous/hates horses (that one i fudged a bit, it was from a backstory generator that said they didnt like horses because one parent was waaaay to hype for horseriding)
    and theyre impulsive and quick to anger, aaand theyre estranged from their mom but close to their maternal grandma

also i accidentally gave them a name that sounds a little like macklemore :P

anyway our party has another bard so thatll be neat

oh and the DM npc was going to be a bard, of a homebrew race called Grimalkin who are just psychic cats

but Mr. Mew has been reworked and is now like... a berzerker

Our heaviest hitting character is the cat, who is the size of a large maine coon

we have two bards, an assassin/rogue, and a warforged cleric

this will be neato?

• Winner x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice