D&D chatter

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 3, 2015.

1. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

My party is headed to a famously dangerous swamp to figure out where previous parties have gone missing. (Look, the pay was Really Really Good.)

The DM has mentioned a couple times that any specimens from the swamp would probably fetch a great price at the university, so I've been thinking over how to make the most of that. Our druid has some art skill (he was previously a forger) so I'm thinking a field notebook would be a natural and valuable accompaniment (and a straightforward enough thing to turn into a skill check)

Anyone got any experience with plants/what would be useful from an academic's/collector's point of view? (I'm googling this too, but I figure someone with experience in RPGs as well would have neat ideas)

• Like x 2
  2. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

I s o e t e s

• Informative x 1
  3. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

shitposting aside, anything that's Super Fucked Up (goddamn asplenium fern complex, nepenthes, etc), has Interesting visual features, or whatever medicinal qualities you wanna make/look up would be my guesses
    (isoetes are Living Fossil Not-Grass, so they look super bland but are actually super fucked up)

• Informative x 3
  4. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

[Dusts off her botany course]

Also: you wanna take as complete a specimen as you can. For many you gotta have the thing from the ground to the tip to get leaf arrangement etc to identify them properly so bring a big notebook or take small plants

If you can't dry/press the plant, accurate sketch is good but it's gotta be accurate wrt to stuff like leaf veins, petal number etc

Seeds are SUPER useful because then you can grow the thing, and they often don't need a lot of space. Take notes on grow spot of the adult plant. Shady?sunny? Submerged or semi-dry? Parasitic to other plants?, makes it easier to grow specimens elsewhere later

Basically 95% of science is 'detailed accurate notes', i'm sorry

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    • Informative x 3
    • Agree x 1
  5. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

carnivorous plants and rare orchids would be worth lots gold to collectors

• Like x 1
  6. budgie

@Loq @TheOwlet Those are v helpful ideas that I will pass on to our druid. While I'm sure our DM has some plants he's come up with, he likes it when we've got our own ideas. Having some idea how to actually store specimens should help lower the DC for selling them later, too.

@jacktrash Carnivorous plants are a great idea! My paladin's plant knowledge basically consists of "generally green, sometimes poisonous," but a carnivorous plant is something even she would recognize as a rarity.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  7. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

Taxidermified rare animals too (or monsters, though a Good-aligned university would probably prefer non-sentient monsters.) Harder to pull off but maybe worth it?

There's also detailed notes on the life cycle and habits of creatures from very hostile environments. In real life, the first detailed observations of emperor penguins in the wild required basically a high-level adventuring party. But your character may not have time for that...

Alchemical/potion/spell components. (Are they fire swamps?)

Now I want to play a grad student PC who's adventuring to get field research...

• Winner x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  8. budgie

I played an NPC that way one time (his major was necromantic archaeology). A+ fun, would make a great player character.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  9. Helen of Boy

Helen of Boy Hugcrafter Pursuivant

Tomb of Annihilation has both the Archaeologist and Anthropologist backgrounds, and I know you can find them elsewhere online, too.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  10. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

Ok so. I have ended up trying to make my own school times rpg type thing that so far is equal parts persona and world of darkness. Might scrap this all later and make a full on world of darkness hack instead, who knows, least of all me. It's still in wip thought process form though.

• Like x 2
  11. TheSeer

A wizard seems too obvious. Maybe a ranger who is Very Excited about ferns...

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  12. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

@asynch played a warlock who was a field researcher before! He researched magical distortions :)

• Winner x 3
  13. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

my cecil is a ranger who is Very Excited about insects. this has so far only been flavortext and rp, but his minor in scientific illustration has come in handy a few times.

• Winner x 4
  14. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

DM said I could use my cursed academic necromancer girl who i thought was too unbalanced to be playable :D and i’ve finally named her! her name is Myria!

• Winner x 7
  15. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 8.49.35 PM.png

going into the final battle with three and a half casters is some WoW-tier pre-raid buff shit

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    • Winner x 5
    • Agree x 1
  16. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

Do you know that feeling when you spend time creating a character and nailing down their backstory and trying to figure them out and then you finally say one thing in character and you realize "oh, this is just Dave Strider."

• Witnessed x 11
    • Agree x 5
  17. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

TO BE FAIR TO ME they aren't just Dave Strider. They're like a Dave/Rose mashup. Their name is Scavenger but they go by Aven and I love them.

• Like x 7
  18. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

19. TheSeer

Tag yourself I'm Melf's Natural Curiosity.

• Agree x 1
  20. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

I'm Huge Bomb

• Useful x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice