D&D chatter

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Kittenly

Kittenly Just Squish That Cat!

I'm Atomic Swarm

oops i did this too. though she's a knight of heart so she's the bestworst parts of both dave and dirk... it's a real good thing she has good friends to keep her stable o.o

our second campaign is starting up this weekend and while i'm excite i am also nervous because i am going from playing someone who is loud and abrasive and aggressive (and mothers the whole team but pretends to be grumpy whilst doing so) to someone who at the start has made herself into a total doormat because she thinks that if she makes herself just a little more harmless and a little more agreeable then maybe people will see that she's one of the good tieflings! but basically the first thing she's going to do is make a deal with a heretical aspect of the god of death for power. so it's clear that this doormat state is artificial and she'll find her way out of it. eventually.

• Like x 1
  2. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

i really kinda like Abiogenesis
    nothing in the spell description gives a reason why the queen bee would start killing its young, so there's no reason for it to set off the spell's end condition
    meaning there's just this indefinite duration floating bee glowing and controlling something about reality around it

• Agree x 2
    • Winner x 1
  3. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

"snilloc's trick room" for me. it sounds like cold war magical realism noir, which is my secret fave.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

we had our first session today! it was awesome! myria is already double crossing at least one person :D we might get to meet again next week with a couple new players joining us.

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 3
  5. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

God my biggest problem as a player is that I always tend to be way too suspicious for the dms plot hooks. Like there was a half elf who caught Aven pickpocketing and was like "well im not gonna turn you in but will you please come to my church?" And Aven was like well you're definitely trying to lure me to your church's tiefling murder basement and like. On the one hand I dont wanna be a difficult player but on the other hand it doesn't make sense for them to just trust this kinda thing!

• Agree x 2
  6. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

Honestly your DM should be trying to get you guys in in a character-friendly way. IC is important! Also one of my characters is paranoid af and my DM frequently puts his head on the table and curses because I'm too paranoid to take the bait and it's hilarious. But he knows that he can get to her either through the contract that she signed, or if the promise of reward clearly outweighs the risk (and she can keep potential threats visible.)

Also the rest of the party are fun-loving, adventure-seeking idiots who'll sign up for anything if it sounds like a good time and drag her along with them.

• Like x 1
  7. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

There's other hooks you can offer the DM if the usual hooks are out of character. A personal connection to another PC is a good one. Or a goal that's extremely important to you but you're not sure how to accomplish it, so you're willing to go after things that might or might not be related. Or, if your character is that suspicious, the GM can move you around by dangling clues.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  8. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

Ok lore question: if I have a character who is an aasimar and evil, do they have to be fallen? Specifically, her family is descended from an aasimar who believed it was his duty to root out the sin of all the mortal kings, and he did so by conquering all the kingdoms, enough that his sword drank enough blood that it gained an evil will of its own. After generations of the family's holdings being slowly chipped away, culminating in a peasant revolt that overthrew her family and sent her into exile, she has vowed to walk in her ancestor's footsteps and retake the lands. Fallen aasimar actually does kinda work best mechanically for the type of character she is, but I don't exactly want it to be like. It would be wierd if this whole family has had a giant glaring We're Evil sign, I guess. She needs to be able to at least, like, walk into a room without everyone else in it going, "oh ok, you're evil."

9. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i think the general rule for dnd is "do whatever works for the story"

• Agree x 5
  10. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

yeah give your DM a poke about it and see if you can work something out with them, that's my go-to method when i have an idea for a character and gotta clear it with my DM

That's how i ended up with being allowed to apply my sneak attack bonus to eldritch blast (roguelock PC), since the DM ruled that

1) doylist: it's cool as fuck so why not
    2) watsonian: his patron is essentially a sentient, magical orbital weapon's station therefore i get attack boni on stuff i wouldn't otherwise get them on

• Agree x 1
  11. Helen of Boy

Helen of Boy Hugcrafter Pursuivant

Augh. The game I'm running ended up popular enough to split into two groups, which is great and I'm loving DMing for them, but I just had an idea for a character that I really want to play, but don't have any active games where I'm a player.

(Sorry for not giving y'all more updates on the games, I wanted to, but there's so much that's happening and I just... can't, especially now that there are two groups.)

The idea, though, is for Woebegone! She's a tiefling whose parents picked out a virtue name for her not realizing that "Woebegone" is not the same as "Woe, begone!" They tried, and love her very much. She's descended from Zariel, giving her some quasi-angelic ancestry that she took advantage of to become a Celestial Warlock, mostly because that lets her do basically anything a party might need her to. Especially when she gets her tome at level 3 and can start breaking out all the interesting rituals she's dug up, possibly literally (am thinking of making her an Archaelogist, for her background, which is why she's so gung-ho about jumping into every haunted/infested/repurposed ruin she hears about). Not to mention that access to Shillelagh makes her staff into a very potent magical weapon, if I don't feel like using Eldritch Blast right then for whatever reason (maybe saving some of the invocation slots that usually go to buffing it into a super-strong attack that can do anything and grabbing some of the interesting but less common utility invocations?).

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 3
  12. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

Tamsin, new d&d character, and her goat, Gremlin, who came with her on her quest to rescue her wife. Unlike the rest of her goats, who she left in the care of her cousin. She is a gnome.
    [​IMG]
    (I cannot draw goats.)

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 2
  13. TheOwlet

Does she ride the goat into battle i gotta know

• Agree x 1
  14. Jean

Absolutely.

• Winner x 3
  15. TheOwlet

Bless, this knowledge improved my day immesurably

• Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  16. Jean

This dnd character, Tamsin, is a goat farmer (and a gnome, so the goats are actually taller than she is) who used to be a druid. She was forced to retire quite young due to severe injury in a mercenaries' raid against the sacred grove that she and her partner druid were in charge of. (Said grove is now taken care of by the other druid and her apprentice.)

So she's depressed and suffering from ptsd and she's staying with her parents while she heals. Her mom gets tired of her "moping about" and sends her with her brother to the big city on their every-other-month trip to sell stuff (in the gnome town they mostly barter). There, she meets Renata.

Renata is a high elf. She's the black sheep of the family - they're the city's biggest mob family, and although she was trained as an explosives expert (nd was quite good at it), what she really wants out of life is to run away and become a farmer.

She knows nothing about farming.

She strikes up a conversation with Tamsin, whose family is mostly farmers, and they hit it off... And before she knows it, Tamsin is offering to help out.

About a month later, Renata shows up at the gnome town and goes ...did you mean it? And Tamsin completely ignores her relatives who caution her against starting a venture with some lady she doesn't even know, and the two of them open up a goat farm. Some hundred years later, they're very happily married, still operating their farm (changthangi goats! which make cashmere.), ...and then Renata is kidnapped.

Tamsin reacts... Poorly.

Once she calms down, she leaves the farm in the hands of her various siblings and cousins, pulls out her old gear, which she'd maintained in anticipation of handing it off to someone someday, and going out to find her wife and murder whoever took her herself. Screw that "hiring adventurers to rescue her" nonsense! Everyone knows you can't trust adventurers.

Her favorite goat, Gremlin, insists on going with her.

• Winner x 9
    • Like x 1
  17. Toaster

Toaster Active Member

Just from that description, I love her and her wife and her goat so very much.

• Agree x 9
    • Like x 1
  18. Jean

I need to figure out Renata's alignment. I'm rolling her too. (For Reasons.) And this is the only part that's really tripping me up.

• Like x 1
  19. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

We needed to keep our rogue awake all night to keep the ghost that was haunting him from possessing him. Each party member had to come up with a way of doing so while the rest got some sleep.

Since they knew each other as kids, my paladin challenged him to the overly convoluted version of poker they used to play. She trounced him in the noogie portion of the game.

Unfortunately, the cleric's idea for keeping him up was sharing some "really interesting! I promise!" apocrypha, so in the end he fell asleep and got possessed again.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    • Witnessed x 7
    • Like x 1
  20. Jean

Don't think I'll go back to this dnd group after all - repeated use of the word retard and casual anti-union rhetoric, not to mention "I'm older and more experienced than you therefor my opinions matter more and also fracking is completely safe" attitude. And "oh it's fine that lovecraft was horribly racist because he hated everyone equally and married a Jewish woman". And they're all so, so... I don't know, straight.

• Witnessed x 16
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice