D&D chatter

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 3, 2015.

1. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

What was right outside the door of an inn that required immediate individual survival rolls?

2. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

3. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

They were leaving the inn's range so the inn got an opportunity attack.

• Winner x 5
    • Informative x 1
  4. swirlingflight

The inn, once known as the dire gazebo...

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
  5. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

Well we nearly ended up inside some sort of walled-off Place of Evil, but we eventually found where we were going, and without even dying of exposure. We managed to smuggle magical plants out of a guarded greenhouse past the gang that wants to control it, and I got to threaten to light one of them on fire. Without consequences, even! (He got mud on my books.)

So: it went surprisingly well, actually.

• Winner x 5
  6. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

So, last session, my group managed to temporarily break our bag of holding.

We did this by putting in an artifact we got the session before. As it turns out, putting the reality bending artifact inside a pocket dimension is a really bad idea.

How bad, you ask?

Until my character managed to go in and retrieve it, our bag of holding was temporarily converted into a portal to Narnia. Spooky Narnia, full of evil bird.

Also, by doing this, we nearly ran the artifact out of charge. The DM specifically warned us that we really don't want to let the artifact get below 30 charges, or Bad Things will start happening; the artifact's reality bending power comes from the fact that it's trapping something eldritch and otherdimensional inside of it, and the fewer charges it has, the more it needs to draw on the Eldritch Thing's power to do what it does.
    When I pulled it back out of the bag of holding, it was at 11 charges. We can only recharge it by feeding it organic material; dead bodies are usable, but only provide half a charge per body. (We discovered this because we needed to do something about the corpses that resulted from us fighting the group that used to have the artifact. In our defense, they were using it to ravage the local farmland by making illusions of crop-eating insects, which the artifact was making into real creatures.)

We managed to get it up to about 16 charges along the way as we travelled back to the city to meet up with our employer-of-the-moment, but my character (who attuned to the artifact) is absolutely having a bad time all around and is likely going to continue going to until we manage to get the charges back up high enough.

Also, our employer really wanted to buy the artifact off of us. And we were getting watched by people as we made our way into the city, and session ended off with "okay, next session? roll for initiative now that you've left the bakery where your employer is, all those weirdos who were staring at you are no longer just settling for staring".

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  7. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

Sounds interesting, and like it's a good thing that you know how many charges are left. Just need like 1400 kilograms of material to feed it.'

Y'know, there's a few ways to permanently (and violently) destroy a Bag of Holding, but temporarily not so much.
    Also, evil bird singular?

• Like x 3
  8. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Singular, but very large and with too many eyes. Although it exploded into multiple birds while chasing my character out of the bag-dimension. It may have been a bird made out of bird, I didn't stop to investigate.

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

Who invited bird bird?

• Winner x 5
    • Agree x 1
  10. BaseDeltaZero

Ah, congratulations on the final boss preview.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  11. swirlingflight

Ah, the murmuration is at hand.

• Agree x 1
  12. BaseDeltaZero

Four people suffer through The Most Evil Dungeon of All Time, and slowly lose their minds. On account of the stupidity.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    • Winner x 1
  13. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

Today we're using an ingenious combo of stairs and a portable fortress to kill giants.

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  14. Lazarae

DM just decreed that the rogue can't deal sneak attack damage with the portable fortress. He's very disappointed. Jury's out on assassinate.

• Winner x 3
    • Witnessed x 1
  15. swirlingflight

It does seem hard to argue that it's a finesse weapon.

• Agree x 4
  16. Lazarae

We can't do surprise damage either

I'd argue getting a tower dropped on you is pretty damn surprising

(In his defense he did give her disadvantage on the saving throw)

• Agree x 4
    • Winner x 1
  17. Lazarae

We are the party of "this is not intended to be a weapon but it IS NOW"

One of the barbs just threw a pair of iron doors at a giant and the DM is scrambling to figure out what the damage for that is.

• Like x 2
  18. Lazarae

And to top it off: Rayi drank a giant-sized cup of coffee.

Failed the first con save with a nat 1, had to make two death saves before being revived, immediately demanded the rest of the coffee.

She won't be able to sleep for 9 days but only gains exhaustion after 3. She also has demonsight for the duration, and her trauma-induced trouble speaking is gone while affected. The party is deeply unnerved by her speaking full sentences. With frequency. (The first thing she said after being revived was "give me the goddamn coffee" when the barb tried to take it away from her)

• Winner x 4
  19. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

I'd argue that having iron doors thrown at you is blzdgeoning damage with many d6

• Agree x 1
  20. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

I'm playing Waterdeep Dragonheist with friends, and the rogue is dating a literal devil. My cleric strongly disapproves, less because he's a devil and more because he's a bad boyfriend.

So I got the player's go ahead, and next week the rogue is getting treated to an Extremely Earnest talking to about mutual respect and healthy relationships and how he deserves better, and is it a sex thing? Because you don't need to be dating a devil for fantastic sex.

If nothing else I expect our inn renovations will speed up as the rogue finds any excuse to stop having this conversation.

• Winner x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice