D&D chatter

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Vierran

Vierran small and sharp

I am in a new game and we are playing as the town watch.

The incredible part is that we are rolling as well as a town watch in a D&D game usually does; I think three dice rolls the whole session were above 10. The whole game has a very early discworld watch books feel.

• Like x 5
    • Winner x 3
  2. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

An old bit of RP I remembered and keep snickering over.

Rogue, dramatically: oh, stop being like that [about relationships]. Everyone uses people for something, and if you're lucky they're using you for something you don't mind. You'd understand that if you dated.

Cleric, dryly: It has been a while.

Rogue: Of course it's been a while, you're a cleric.

Cleric: [pause] Actually, it's been a while because I'm married.

Rogue: ... wait what?

• Winner x 8
  3. Socket

Socket fuzzy tabletop goblin

Our regular in-person game has returned from two years' hiatus and it was So Goddamn Fun. You can tell she's been playing DOS2 (in a good way) from the ocean cavern fight we ended up in - rescuing a tiefling woman and her newborn both guarded by merrow in a flooded cave full of sea spawn eggs (long story but it involved a sea hag and a lot of captive mothers-to-be)....which, pod by pod, started to hatch at the top of each round. S T R E S S but GOOD STRESS.

Our DM did make one fatal error, though

At a table of four players, she named that NPC we rescued, "Jolene".

Nobody could resist it. Every time we talked to her, it'd be like:

Player 1: "So, Jolene-"
    Player 2: (softly, in the background) jolene~
    Player 3: (with more feeling) jolene...~
    Player 4: (dolly parton intensifies) ~ j o l e e e e n e e e e ~

and then the scene carries on, otherwise uninterrupted.

I've missed being around a table with these fucking nerds.

[edited to add: Our DM swiftly retconned Jolene's accent to make her a Southern belle, because of course she did.]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    • Winner x 10
  4. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

Apparently Mimics (at least as of 3.5) weigh an average of 4,500 pounds. That's. That's more than a hippopotamus. I am now officially terrified of mimics.

• Agree x 4
    • Witnessed x 2
  5. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

How

Why

• Agree x 5
  6. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Could you imagine a mimic adding itself onto a house as a spare closet or something

• Agree x 2
  7. BaseDeltaZero

Today in Questionable Roll 20 Descriptions

• Witnessed x 9
  8. swirlingflight

That second one.... on the one hand, there are surely people who seek that experience. On another hand, isn't that a chick tract premise?

• Agree x 1
  9. BaseDeltaZero

Yes. Yes it is.

10. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

At first glance I thought that was all from the same game description.

.... please tell me it's not

• Agree x 3
    • Witnessed x 1
  11. BaseDeltaZero

Nope, only the 'Turnings of the World' and 'No Homebrew' are from the same game.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
    • Like x 1
  12. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

playing Thirsty Sword Lesbians with my sibling, some friends, and some friends of friends tomorrow! ...unfortunately I don't like roleplaying romance or flirting. and I'm not a huge fan of systems where the character part of the character is built into the mechanics of the game, rather than being emergent. I feel a strong urge to rebel against the kind of character the system wants players to create. and I have very little roleplaying experience, anyway.

maybe I'll play an aroace genderless robot who's totally jazzed about being sacrificed to appease the ancient horrors.

• Agree x 2
  13. BaseDeltaZero

Yeah, it feels like a game I'm too autistic for, though I'd like to try it if I can get the chance. And have time. I'm currently on the waiting list for like three games, and... shrug.

That said I would uh. Not do that. Being disruptive for the sake of being disruptive isn't good, if you're that turned off, just don't play. Or at least try to have some buy in. Not necessarily all the way, but maybe talk and see if there's a concept that'd be less... I dunno, romantic-romantic?

14. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

oh yeah no, I wouldn't create a character just to be intentionally disruptive. that's a dick move no matter what lol. but apparently we're all going to decide on the setting and make up our characters together before playing, so I think there'll be room to wiggle out a space for myself there. I just need to find the balance of "yes and"-ing versus having a character I can play well enough for everyone to have fun.

• Like x 1
  15. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

did the thing! kind of lol. we got through character creation, about 3 hours worth of tangents, and then 5 feet into the campaign before everyone's energy ran out XD the ttrpg experience! it was fun, though. I forgot how much I like being at a table with everyone bouncing ideas off each other. and I got to hang out with friends I don't get to see often, plus some cool new people :) all around wonderful experience!

• Winner x 5
    • Agree x 1
  16. BaseDeltaZero

Well I've gotten in to an RPG campaign on roll20. Average everyday fivey, but... it's gone okay, I guess? Only bit of trouble is that I'm using a voice changer, for... normal cis reasons, yeah, definitely, and... people definitely noticed. They seem to have mostly thought my mike was messed up, though, so that's nice... but also bad, because it was, in fact, kind of a mess. I eventually sort of sorted it out, I think part of it is that my headset mic isn't *that* great, and part of it is I needed to follow the exact opposite advice as the program gave me for linking to Discord, but it's... still not 100% perfect. Not entirely sure how to fix it, because... well, it's hard to *hear*.

And ironically the GM, of all people, has their mic volume set really low.

Also also: We discovered an ancient ruin powered by a magical life force draining crystal, which turns the entire ruin into a city sized skeleton monster when activated. My character is conflicted: On the one hand, that's clearly bad and we should stop it, but on the other hand that's FUCKING AWESOME.

• Like x 4
    • Winner x 1
  17. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

I’m resurrecting this thread because I joined a curse of strand campaign this week and rolled six ones out of about 10 or 11 rolls.

eventually the dm gave me a new set of dice.

• Witnessed x 11
  18. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I had that same situation and our DM gave me these yellow see through ish dice that were immediately dubbed the Piss Dice. Rolls the best numbers, and I refuse to use any other pair because of the sheer amount of chaos it lets my character get away with

• Winner x 8
  19. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

i described my new character as “a real C student of a mage” and i’m afraid i may have cursed him. because the dice sure seemed to have listened. two sessions of rolling nothing higher than a 9 on skill checks. at least i’ve already given him a narrative justification lol, my boy’s just kind of a slacker i guess.

• Witnessed x 5
    • Like x 3
  20. swirlingflight

The real Curse of Strahd was cursing your dice

• Agree x 9
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice