Daemon AUs best AUs

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by LadyNighteyes, Mar 29, 2016.

1. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

She is a fantastic customer. Good, loyal, willing to pay ridiculous amounts for anything. Probably ends up with something canine?

2. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Adendum, since I'm rewatching the first season that I skipped earlier - the Ninth Doctor DEFINITELY has an irish wolfhound XDD

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I spent too much time playing Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow the last couple of days, and while I don't have solid theories for most of the characters (especially since characterization in Castlevania is often kind of minimal- I played the entire game, all three endings, and still could not describe Soma's personality), I will commit to "Weird Demon Vampire Magic does really freaky things to people's daemons."

Drac's daemon was probably a bat pre-vampirism, because it feels like blasphemy to have it not be; Soma's is something else, at least until the Weird Demon Vampire Magic starts getting really messy in late-game and it starts very obviously turning into a horrorterror. (Mina is disturbed. Soma is like "NOPE NOPE EVERYTHING IS FINE NOTHING HAPPENED NOTHING IS WRONG 8)".)

All I can say for sure about Alucard is that his is not a bat, and ever since he ditched his dad he's been rather pettily pleased about this fact.

• Winner x 1
  4. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

Ooh what about the
    Bad End/Julius Mode where Soma becomes Full Dracula

Or would his daemon just literally turn into a bat

5. LadyNighteyes

Post-vampirism, Drac's is probably about as much of a shapeshifting helldemon as he is, with maybe an inclination towards bat-itude when he's lounging around on his throne, but when he makes any effort it turns into a freaky monster.
    So yeah, DracSoma would have a similar horrorterror, though with a few traces of Soma's original daemon; maybe it defaults to something that's part whatever he had, part bat.

Soma's would steadily get weirder and more unsettled as he collected more and more monster souls even before endgame, too.

• Like x 1
  6. PotteryWalrus

This is kinda borderline, and definitely weird, but does anyone else have daemon headcanons about celebrities?

Off the top of my head -

Stephen Fry DEFINITELY has a Tawny Owl. Imposing, associated with wisdom, but actually just a fluffy potato with talons. Was part of the act during his Baldrick days; could do a really goofy 'TWOOO' call when he was deep in the fluffy idiot act.

Stephen KING has an American Bullfog. Often sitting on his shoulder during author pictures and interviews. Like teasing Molly, aka The Thing of Evil on twittter.

Markiplier has a Scarlet Macaw well known for her ear-splitting parrot shrieks during horror LPs (RIP headphone users XDD)

I have others, but I'm aware that this is a trash topic so I'll keep the others to myself if nobody's interested XD

• Winner x 3
  7. Birdy

Birdy so long

Oh we're doing daemon RPF? Sweet

I was toying with the idea of Gerard Way having a snake the other day - powerfully symbolically loaded, and biologically just a noodle that wants to sleep, eat, and bask.

Rock python, maybe. They care for their young.

8. PotteryWalrus

Pfft, I like the idea of Gerard Way with a ball python. So danger. Very snek. (Although with his off-stage persona I'd think something like a black cat, maybe - again, works with the aesthetic, actually a big dork, occasionally falls off chairs licking himself.)

• Like x 1
  9. PotteryWalrus

DIGGING UP THIS THREAD BECLAWS I CAME BACK FROM THE NEW BLADE RUNNER MOVIE WITH SOME FUCKING FEELS AIGHT

Obviously, Replicants are not made with daemons, because they're "not people" (urgh). But they can develop them. One of the 'warning signs' that a Replicant is about to go rogue is a higher concentration of Dust around them (because they ARE man-made, they do attract certain levels of it, but if that level goes over the baseline, then that's when you contact a Blade Runner and hope the damn thing doesn't kill anyone real first.)

The Replicant underground is full of those who walk in bright golden auras, and those who haven't Settled yet - because of being made, and in reality only a few years old at most, plenty of them have daemons that are too young to take a single form.
    (Original Blade Runner movie: Roy Batty's daemon became more and more solid throughout the film, a ghost-animal-wolf-swan-bobcat, something furious and desperate and enraged and full of poetry - and it took solid form just in time for them both to die.)

(Rick Deckard has a dog, of course. Played by a real animal in the first film, it never speaks and is left ambiguous to the end whether it's actually his daemon or just another construct - the Tyrell corperation occasionally made fake-animal daemons for models where it was more useful for them to look more human - Rachel, for example, and her owl. Plenty of rogue Replicants who were lucky enough to Pass like that either killed or sold those animals as soon as they could, because it was so awful to be constantly reminded of what they were not.)

(I don't know if K/Joe ever got to fully develop one, or if he was hiding one from the start - I like the second, personally, but it would have made things harder. Maybe she could hide in/copy JOI? Could he Seperate from her? Idk, I just know she was there with him for the last scene, as a doe.)

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
  10. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

• Winner x 1
  11. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

a sudden thought

all my knowledge of daemons etc comes from daemorphing and tumblr but: daemons settle at least in part due to the increased self-awareness people generally get as they get older right

if someone was really, catastrophically un-self-aware-i'm talking Ray levels here-would that affect their daemon's settling?

• Like x 2
  12. LadyNighteyes

I know it from HDM canon (which doesn't even give that much information about What Exactly makes daemons settle) but yeah, I could see someone monumentally un-self-aware having their daemon at least take much longer than usual to settle. I don't think it'd 100% stop it, though, even in a really extreme case.

13. turtleDove

Personally, I suspect that the only reason why a daemon wouldn't not settle eventually is that societally, it'd kind of be a warning sign that something's not exactly okay here if a person's well out of childhood and their daemon is still shifting through forms. Similar to how it's seen as warning signs if a kid's got the trifecta of "they wet the bed, they're really interested in fire, and they've been caught being cruel to smaller kids or animals". It's not necessarily a sign that the person is irrevocably damaged or anything, but it would be seen as a sign that they need to talk to a therapist or a priest or whatever the culturally appropriate thing would be, and I don't think the person would get a whole lot of choice in whether or not to get help for the problem.

• Agree x 2
  14. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

thinking of daemorphing's four-eye and how perception works with a daemon

it makes sense, since they're two halves of the same person, for both human and daemon to be at least aware of things the other perceives, but maybe not consciously perceiving it without something like four-eye

like, sensory processing of the human half's senses occurs in the human half, processing of the daemon half's senses occurs in the daemon half, if the daemon half sees something and the human half doesn't, the human half is still aware it is there but not able to see it-any crossover of senses is usually subconscious, although maybe not in dreams?

so like if your daemon has sonar you might just not bother turning on the lights when doing your nighttime routine because your daemon can just echolocate for you, but you aren't consciously perceiving the echolocation

• Like x 3
  15. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

I feel very strongly that Dean Winchester's daemon would be a pit bull.

I don't have very strong feelings about anyone else's daemon, except that the Winchesters gotta have daemons that reflect each other somehow, cause they're. I mean, they're all ridiculously codependent and tangled up in each other, it just ain't right when you read something that's like, John's got a scorpion and Dean a tiger and Sam an otter. I think that kinda thing would really upset Dean, honestly. Especially season 1 Dean, or kid Dean. He puts a lot of weight on them all as a unit. I really like the idea of them all being canines, but Sam's got some sorta wild canine or canine adjacent critter that initially looks very out of place. Like, wolf John, pit bull Dean, and hyena Sam.

• Like x 2
  16. turtleDove

I feel like, considering how John's whole world seems to have narrowed down to "find the demon that killed his wife and kill it" and Dean and Sam appear to have been left to raise themselves a lot during their childhood, John's daemon would more likely be a swan rather than anything actually canine. But Mary's death may actually have caused John's daemon to become unsettled briefly. Maybe it used to be a canine, and then resettled as a swan. He definitely doesn't read as canine to me by the time we start getting any flashbacks of what the Winchester boys' childhoods were like, or by the time we see him in season 1; it feels like he's only vaguely aware of anything outside of his revenge quest, and that he's honestly rather annoyed that he needs to consider anything outside of it.

Which would probably mess Dean up worse, because his daemon isn't even the same type as his dad's, and you're right that Dean does put a lot of weight on them all being a family and how it's important for them to work together and function as a unit. Dean having a great big working dog of a daemon makes complete sense for him, and Sam having something that's adjacent to Dean's but doesn't look quite the same makes sense too. Part of why Dean's so invested in being a hunter is because it's important to his dad, and he's trying to carry that torch and get any kind of positive attention from John (who reacts very, very badly if he thinks that the boys aren't just as invested in the revenge quest as he is, from what I recall); even if he wants to be a swan, he's not going to be - he's too canine. And for all that Dean goes on about how Sam was too young to remember anything from the night their mom died - Dean was just barely much older, he looked like he was just out of the toddler phase in the flashback to the night Mary died and the house burned down; I doubt Dean would even remember it if John's daemon used to be anything but a swan - too much of his memory would involve John having a big black swan for a daemon, and I doubt he'd remember what Mary had either unless John told him or had photos.

I do agree that the Winchesters are ridiculously codependent and tangled up in each other...but I see it as more, Dean and Sam are ridiculously codependent and tangled up in each other, because of how their childhood went. They had to rely on each other for everything, because it was a coin flip as to whether John could be depended on to remember they needed things like groceries and clothes and he definitely couldn't be depended on to keep them properly safe. (I'm thinking of that episode where the monster-of-the-week hunts children and eats them, and it turns out that John once took them with him while he was hunting for it. I have a fic that has yet to make it out of my head about an AU where Bobby insists that John leave the boys behind for safety while he hunts after that thing; it turns into "and Uncle Bobby is a much better parent than John Winchester".) John's only tangled in with them in as much as Dean is fixated on getting positive attention from John.

• Like x 1
  17. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

I like the idea of John's daemon changing after the fire! And I really like the idea of John never mentioning that and Dean having faint memories of like a German Shepard or something hanging around that he doesn't know how to feel about.

Sam's not wrapped up in John like how Dean is, but I think he had a tendency to set himself opposite John, like he based a lot of his identity on not being the kind of kid John wanted or on not being like John himself. Which was maybe more a reaction to Dean, tho? I mean, he did get like super fucking derisive at Dean when he got fighty at John like that. If both the boys ended up canine, Dean'd prolly be quietly pleased about it but Sam would be not quite so happy. Like, he super doesn't want to be like Dean, but apparently he's more like his brother than he'd thought, and maybe his daemon dooms him to being John's attack dog as well.

18. turtleDove

Hm. You're right that Sam does tend to set himself opposite to John and what John seems to want, and that partly this appears to be a reaction to how Dean's throwing himself on the sword to try and be the perfect son in John's eyes; I think Sam decided, at some point, that nothing either of them do is going to actually make John be a good father, so trying to grab for that brass ring is a fool's game and will only lead to them getting hurt - and he's upset that Dean doesn't seem to get that. And Sam really, badly wants to be able to settle down for any significant length of time.

Considering that he goes for being a lawyer, though, and considering how terrifying he gets in the timeline where Dean dies, I suspect that he does end up with some variant of canine too. Probably a working dog, one of the big guard dogs that's got a terrible reputation for being a fighter and vicious, but mostly they just want to be loved and have a safe place to call home.

19. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

discworld:

only the humans, and maybe werewolves/vampires, have daemons. everyone else has something different.

the nac mac feegle have their mounds.
    the dwarves have something made or inherited-their equivalent of settling is choosing something to become their anchor to the Dust. this is basically always an axe, most communities just say "pick an axe" but this is cultural-the deepdowners believe that it must be an axe, but some dwarf communities have rediscovered that it can be other metal objects like armour or a pickax
    zombies' daemons dissolve into dust when they die, and when they get back up, the dust forms itself back into the shape of their daemon-but still visibly made of dust
    hex has an entire swarm of bees, and they speak by layering buzzing over buzzing until it becomes the voice of a soul
    the golems have their words, and until they settle, they can write in any handwriting or, if they have a tongue, can speak in any voice-and settled golems can last a few minutes without their chem because of the words-in-the-heart thing
    goblins make themselves things out of clay

i don't have any ideas for other species

• Winner x 3
  20. LadyNighteyes

I will insist with my dying breath that 99.9% of Nac Mac Feegle have the same daemon.

• Winner x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice