daily classical music!

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by rats, Aug 31, 2015.

1. EulersBidentity

EulersBidentity e^i*[bi] + 1

Is that notated in the manuscript, or is it from contemporary sources? I'd guess the manuscript only has the chant + mode in square notation, but if there's fach-descriptive notation I've never heard of...*vibrates with excitement*
    No chance there's images of the Gradual online, is there?

2. EulersBidentity

I asked my sister what I should take to my singing lesson. She stared at me, unblinking, and said: "Do some Bach oratorio. It's good for you." And then she mimed taking medicine for about 15 mins.

Joke's on her, I love this shit.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    • Like x 1
  3. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Don't know enough about early music notation to answer that.

Images are available here: http://www.enluminures.culture.fr/p...L USAGE DE L ABBAYE NOTRE-DAME DE FONTEVRAULT

• Like x 1
  4. EulersBidentity

5. EulersBidentity

IT BEEN A WHILE

This came up as part of a Spotify study playlist I was listening to. Isn't it great?

6. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

Did someone say classical music? And opera?

• Like x 1
  7. littlepinkbeast

• Like x 1
  8. littlepinkbeast

• Like x 1
  9. EulersBidentity

I had a choir director who was apparently once in the same room as Netrebko. He says she has so much presence and intensity, she commands attention no matter what she's doing. :D

• Like x 1
  10. littlepinkbeast

And Sibelius!

• Like x 1
  11. littlepinkbeast

And Ralph "lol wat is even spelling" Vaughan Williams!

• Like x 1
  12. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

oooh ive played the english folk song suite before!!! super fun

13. EulersBidentity

Bernstein goes back to his roots.

PSA: it is inadvisable to have this in your head while cycling through London rush hour traffic. Makes you go "doo doo doot da-DAA, shit, that's, a bus, doot doot, you, wanker that's my right, of way". Road safety at all time low.

Advance warning: while not as bad as the "Surprise" Symphony, Chichester Psalms is occasionally kinda Jumpscare - the Music. Especially the 2nd movement, which is also extraordinarily beautiful.

14. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

bernstein is a definite fav
    bernstein??? more like BAEstein amirite

//coughs

anYWAYS i am playing this piece rn, the 5/8 bits in the middle are complete balls but its such a pretty piece nonetheless

• Like x 2
  15. EulersBidentity

That brass section is utter fucking class.

• Like x 1
  16. ingloriousHeist

ingloriousHeist Shen an Calhar

Jumping in with Hindemith:

I had to play this for an audition ages ago, and it was really refreshing. Everything I had played for auditions up to that point had been either Romantic period (not my favorite period to play from) or Baroque/early Classical.

Edit: This DOES hit some of the highest ranges of a C flute, so if high pitched noises aren't your thing, don't listen to more than the first movement.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    • Like x 1
  17. EulersBidentity

I've never heard that before. It kind of reminds me of Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf. I like it!

18. ingloriousHeist

ingloriousHeist Shen an Calhar

Hindemith had so REALLY WEIRD ideas about how we should think about music. Prokofiev was one of his contemporaries - Sonata for Flute and Piano and Peter and the Wolf actually came out in the same year, I think! I'm not sure if they knew each other, but they were definitely being influenced by the same things.

Sorry, I tended to do research on a composer if I was auditioning on one of their pieces. It gave me perspective, kinda? I never get to talk about them, though.

• Like x 2
  19. EulersBidentity

It's a good habit to be in, tbh.

Round and round my head it goes...

Edit: sorry, sound quality of that video was rank. This one's a bit better.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  20. EulersBidentity

Also from the Hindemith wiki page:
    That's...really intriguing? Apparently the order goes "C G F A E E♭ A♭ D B♭ D♭ B F♯"

...and I was just like, maj or min? *slaps forehead* literally what the wiki page just said. Both, and neither.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice