daily classical music!

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by rats, Aug 31, 2015.

1. ingloriousHeist

ingloriousHeist Shen an Calhar

Like I said, really weird ideas. I'm kinda sad that his ideas didn't become a little more widespread, because some interesting music could come from that.

2. EulersBidentity

EulersBidentity e^i*[bi] + 1

I can't sleep so you all get to hear my earworm. Singing this tomorrow for a memorial service.

3. EulersBidentity

I went to the ballet last night! It was v good (at least, the 2/3 of the stage I could see from up in the slips was v good.) Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet. everyone's heard the Dance of the Knights, but my favourite bit of music was this:

4. EulersBidentity

My singing teacher recommended I learn this and I am in SUCH TOTAL UTTER AGREEMENT. God I love witty music.

5. EulersBidentity

Aaa I'm sorry to keep just posting the stuff I'm learning but you guys. Bach. So good. I nearly cry.

Edit: the words mean "it is accomplished." It comes in the part of the Johannespassion where Jesus has just died. Isn't the music just perfect? The word on that long low note near the middle means "night of sorrow" and the phrase that cuts it off is "has reached its final hours". And like, the note is so long and dark because the night is long and dark and OH MY GOD I AM SO EXCITED TO SING THIS

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  6. EulersBidentity

...sliiiides back in to this thread to share more stuff I'm chuffed I get to sing

Edit: I've been listening to a version with Jean Rigby and Philip Langridge on Spotify, and like...I don't care what tenors do, so Mark Padmore is sounding pretty good to me. But darling Iestyn, I love you to death, but you're over-enunciating and pulling the tempo about too much. Stop it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  7. Aviari

Aviari PartyWolf Is In The House Tonight

THREAD NECROMANCY! *poof*
    So actual effort into listening to classical music has lead me to decide that I am far fonder of Beethoven and Wagner than say, Mozart.

Beethoven has so much energy. Mozart thus far seems light and floaty and pretty, but Beethoven has me air-conducting. Thoughts? Suggestions of Mozart with more oomph?

Also, stuff that is heavy on the brass and strings.

8. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

*awkwardly stumps for my favorite Wagner contemporary, Anton Bruckner*

• Like x 1
  9. EulersBidentity

@Aviari the odds of you not having heard this are vanishingly small, but it does have oomph?

• Like x 1
  10. Aviari

Yesssss this is more like it.

• Like x 1
  11. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

Another thing you've probably heard, but it has big brass and strings and is suitable for air conducting!

12. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

*drops debussey in here*

i love his music, it makes me feel like i'm flying. i get the same feeling from a lot of the tracks on the homestuck drawing dead album, but i think that's more jazz than classical?

• Like x 3
  13. EulersBidentity

*hijacks your Debussy post and makes it about singing*

• Like x 1
  14. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

oooh i like that a lot.

15. Aviari

I think I just forgot who wrote all these great ballets I was parentally discouraged out of doing because I was a klutzy child (at five).

16. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

@EulersBidentity

ive always been more of an instrumental girl but for some reason this one singing thing gave me legit chills

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    • Like x 1
  17. EulersBidentity

Aw man, you know those tunes that sound like they were never composed, they just always existed fully formed somewhere, waiting for someone to come along and write them down? Yeah, that.

• Like x 1
  18. rats

ughhh the bit in the first movement that's like dooo do DOOOOO DO DO DO OOOOO do do DO DO DOOO DO DOOOOOOO with all the dissonant harmonies that somehow arent dissonant at all, My Heart, I Love

• Like x 1
  19. rats

more liszt for the soul

• Like x 1
  20. rats

also: That One Piece That Every Orchestra Plays At Least Once but I Am Participating In For The First Time Ever

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice