DIRE need of help with new shop name.

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by ChelG, Mar 25, 2018.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Might cause issues with pronunciation and spelling. I'm thinking the best option is to go for a combo of two shortish words, so it's more likely the domain name will be available - single words have most likely all been done.

• Like x 1
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Googled "soft grunge quotes" for ideas, most of 'em are too negative, but... Steal the Stars? Good Vibes Only? 3 AM Thoughts? Stay Reckless? I like Reckless. Looked up synonyms for that... Helter Skelter sounds good but Charles Manson, so no. Bravado? Hazardous?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  3. Pumpkageist

Pumpkageist Warning: I Shitpost

Steal the Scent?

Stay Dauntless?

idk

4. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

I like the sound of "Steal the Stars"

5. context-free anon

context-free anon Well-Known Member

mark reckless

seriously though i think "stay reckless" is the most memorable option so far

6. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Personally I don't think "apothecary" is incompatible with a modern vibe if you combine it with the right word. "Iridescent Apothecary", for example, has a kind of an urban witch feel to it.

...IrideScents?

• Like x 1
  7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I still really don't want to use it because everyone does, and I'd rather go for a shorter snappier word.

• Like x 1
  8. shmeed

shmeed plant me

re: alternatives for apothecary

lab, maybe
    unless that would also run you into legal trouble

alternatively
    • mill
    • workshop
    • studio
    • shop/shoppe
    • den
    • lodge
    • sanctum
    and thesaurus.com for any of these words for more branching ideas

• Like x 1
  9. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Took a few days to think about it and Misrule's still sticking in my head. I feel like it needs another word in there though because just the one word has probably already been used for something. Anyone's thoughts?

10. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I feel like it would be a good idea to have something in the name indicating what you sell? Like “potions” in your current shop name.

11. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

My intention was to just stick the descriptive word on the end of the name.

12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Okay, Misrule is sticking in my head and it's free on Etsy, but there are a couple users called that or something very close on Big Cartel, so definitely need to modify it a bit.

13. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Is Morphean likely to not be spellable for people?

14. boop

boop beepbeep

seems easy enough to me

15. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

On further thought Misrule is probably gonna get mixed up with Lush's product line... *sigh* No fair.

16. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I've tried paying two people on Fiverr to help, and the ideas they're coming up with are garbage and they're making me wait multiple weeks between messages. I'm starting to get actively enraged by this, and I can change nothing about my business until it has a new name.

17. Pumpkageist

The easiest, fastest and cheapest way would be to just go with one of the names you like. Or at least, if you feel you can't take action yourself, don't keep blaming other people for delaying you/not having all the answers. Some of the words you came up with on your own were pretty good.

• Agree x 3
  18. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I know, it's just really maddening because the Fiverr person I'm talking to promised results within 24 hours and has been delaying weeks in between responses, and I keep getting really damn patronising responses like explanations of the meaning of words I'm perfectly familiar with but have already said I'm not going to use for a reason not connected to the meaning.

19. Pumpkageist

It sucks that you spent money on a service and it sounds like they're not keeping to their own time limits and not considering your input on words you don't want to use. But I think by this stage, spending more money is risky, especially on freelancers, and you've done a whole load of research and consideration already.

• Agree x 4
  20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought I'd get a more professional line of help with them than with the useless advice I got on Reddit which was basically either "generic praise with no actual help" or "spend four hours calling me a bitch because I wouldn't use the idea I'd told you multiple reasons for not using". Apparently not >:(

Checking out pretty-sounding words and trying them out; found a list of pretty colour words. How's Amaranth, Mazarine, Azuline, Incarnadine, Sable, or Vermillion? I quite like Rose Madder because bit of a double meaning as Stephen King's book demonstrated, but I don't think it'll work... Columbine is pretty but I'm not sure it fits with the urban aesthetic unless we're thinking pigeons (it means both "like a dove" and a flower). "Ambedo" means "a melancholic trance" but spelling is an issue.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice