DIRE need of help with new shop name.

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by ChelG, Mar 25, 2018.

1. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Honestly, any of those would work (and I don't think that spelling would be an issue with ambedo.) I think at this point what you need to do is bite the bullet, pick one, and stick with it so that you can move on to the rest of the process of revamping your shop. It seems to me like you're getting incredibly stuck on the name and it's preventing you from doing anything else. The perfect is the enemy of the good - if you want to make progress, you're going to have to decide on the path you're going to take, even if it isn't the absolutely most ideal one.

• Agree x 3
  2. Pumpkageist

Pumpkageist Warning: I Shitpost

Ooh, I love Ambedo. And pretty much all of those colour words. Columbine is a pretty word with a pretty meaning... but it has super unfortunate connotations in the USA due to the school shooting.

3. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I forgot about that >_< Sorry. School shootings aren't a major part of the culture in the UK, and the meaning I associate with the word is a character in Redwall. Columba would be a better variation of the word, but people would end up spelling it Columbia and I've got nothing to do with said place.

Incarnadine is super pretty but maybe it's too gothy or too long... Sable is really nice.

4. Pumpkageist

I'm in the UK and unfortunately still associate columbine w/ the shooting. I wish I didn't, though, it's a nice word. Incarnadine and Amaranth are lovely words, but they both may be a little too ornate/gothy for what you're going for? Sable could definitely work with your image.

5. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Sable Street Scents work with the urban punk theme?... Though there actually is a place called Sable Street in London...

• Winner x 3
  6. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

That sounds excellent!

7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Not sure I want to call it something that's a real place though.

8. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Everything is a real place somewhere. I’m sure there are small towns or streets named after the rest of the words you suggested. I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

• Agree x 1
  9. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Tried adjusting it to Sable Alley but that's a hotel in Botswana so no. I like Something Alley though, pin in that.

10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Okay, going to go with Something Street or Something Alley, but I'm having trouble picking a good word. Thoughts? Single or double syllable and fitting with the theme...

11. Pumpkageist

Misrule could work. I know you stated you were unsure about it but your mind kept going back to it?

12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I'd rather not go with that, it could be confused with the Lush line.

13. Pumpkageist

From the words mentioned as options, I like

Sugar Street/Alley (may sound more like a confectionary shop, but scents are also sweet, so?)
    Mist Alley
    Vesper Alley
    Reckless Alley

I also kind of like Sundown Street/Alley.

14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

None of these feel quite right yet... any other suggestions?

15. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Does Shadow Alley or Sundown Alley sound good to anyone else? EDIT: Wait, Shadow Alley won't work because it's already a publisher.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  16. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Does Starshine sound too feminine?

17. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

i like sundown alley!

• Agree x 2
  18. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I think that's been used by someone else. I'm liking Starshine Alley but Starshine has been used in Etsy names an awful lot. How about Skyglow?

19. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Maybe these won't work. I'm picturing the logo as typographical only, just the name in big chunky letters, and for that to work it has to be quite short.

20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Well, business name generators are no help, but username generators are more like what I'm looking for! Will poke around with a few.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice