do you cast pods?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Kaylotta, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

I cast pods! :D

Here is a list of the pods I cast these days. chime in w/recommendations!

non-fiction true crime
    Serial (Adnan Syed)
    Undisclosed (ditto)
    Truth & Justice (ditto)
    Criminal

non-fiction comedy
    Comedy Factory
    Grownups Read Things They Wrote As Kids

non-fiction other
    Here Be Monsters (philosophy, sort of)
    Gastropod (food!)
    On Being (theology)
    Thinking Sideways (unsolved mysteries)

fiction
    Limetown (unsolved mass disappearance)
    TANIS (modern mythology)
    The Black Tapes (paranormal investigation)
    The Message (sci-fi)
    We're Alive (zombies!)
    Welcome to Night Vale (radio show talking about the weirdest town around)
    The Leviathan Chronicles (sci-fi ish, great production value, hilariously awful writing - i haven't gotten far in, writing might get better?)

• Like x 3
  2. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

The Down and Safe podcast, in which Scott Lynch and three other people whose names I've forgotten analyze the TV show Blake's 7 episode by episode. They go on a lot of really excellent tangents that in themselves make it worth listening to, and they give a plot summary of each episode for those who haven't seen the show.

3. OnnaStik

OnnaStik Relatively nice for a bloodthirsty mercenary

I've actually started a podcast-rec blog recently!

So far I've done Limetown (I see you listen to that), Wolf 359 (sci-fi thing which EVERYONE MUST LISTEN TO IMMEDIATELY PLEASE), and The Hidden Almanac (Ursula Vernon, 'nuff said).

Some other recs include Midnight Marinara (audio plays adapted from creepypasta), The Moonlit Road (dramatic recitations of mostly Southern folklore), Decoder Ring Theatre (retro radio-play stuff, it has The Red Panda, which is a Golden Age-style superhero thing, and Black Jack Justice, which is a very good detective noir thing) and I'm binge-listening to a bunch of other stuff to see if it's worth blogging about.

4. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

are there any general descriptions of characters anywhere? i just started listening and have an intense need to do fanart.

5. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

Wolf 359 as in the Battle of Wolf 359 where Benjamin Sisko's wife died and a lot of Borg were involved?

*checks out other recs*

EDIT: lol nope. i didn't realize Wolf 359 was a legit star system! i learned something today.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    • Like x 2
  6. OnnaStik

Yay, more art! Anyway, the sum total of canonical appearance information is that Hilbert went bald at a young age, and even that doesn't necessarily mean anything in the present day. Existing fanart mostly seems to make Eiffel some kind of ambiguously brown, if you care about that kind of thing.

• Like x 1
  7. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

@OnnaStik okay, i've basically shotgunned every available episode except the last two of wolf 359 and before i finish those i need to know - is the schedule for episode release on the site fairly accurate? do they generally keep up with the bi monthly thing or am i gonna listen to those episodes and be left hanging for a year or something ridiculous like that?

8. OnnaStik

They do keep up with the bimonthly thing... except that the most recent two were a season finale, and they're now on break until the third season begins. In February.

Please keep the rest of us company in suspense hell till then, though!

• Like x 1
  9. blue

blue hightown funk you up

*raises hand* I like The Dollop (American history and comedy) and Sawbones (misguided medical history.)

• Like x 5
  10. Nertbugs

Nertbugs Information Leafblower

Podcasts are the best thing, and I am definitely going to check out the ones that you guys have mentioned. My current favourites:

SAYER
    Fiction. Sci-fi. Almost entirely told from the perspective of an AI on a human colony. SO GOOD OH MY GOD. But also pretty messed up and creepy.

Sleep With Me
    I don't even know how to categorise this one? It's a podcast that helps you fall asleep. The host has quite a ponderous, slightly mumbly voice and he talks for over an hour about random stuff, getting more repetitive and boring as he goes on to facilitate the listener nodding off. The way I'm describing it doesn't make it sound great, but I usually have terrible trouble falling asleep and I haven't managed to make it through more than half an hour of any of these episodes before dropping off.

The F Plus
    Non-fiction. Disaster tourism. 'A terrible place for terrible things read with enthusiasm'. A revolving cast of readers delve in to weird places on the internet and narrate the posts they find there.

I Don't Even Own A Television
    Non-fiction. Literary review. The hosts, along with guests, review awful books whilst making smart and funny observations.

Lou Reads The Internet
    Non-fiction. Disaster tourism. Same vein as The F Plus, but it's just one guy and there's minimal commentary on the stuff he's reading.

Naked Mormonism
    Non-fiction. Religion. An ex True Believing Mormon gets right down in to the history of the LDS church, drawing on first-hand accounts, church eschatology and other historical documents. Mormons are a particular interest of mine, and I'd previously considered myself well-informed on the subject. But I am learning so much from this guy that is utterly blowing my mind.

• Like x 5
  11. lupadracolis

lupadracolis [This space is intentionally left blank]

Oooooh, I know I'm going to check a lot of these out! As for recommendations from me:

The Infinite Monkey Cage
    Popular (maybe only in the UK?) TV scientist Brian Cox and comedian Robin Ince discuss science, host guests, and make fun of each other. It's technically a radio show on one of the BBC channels, but is also available on iTunes as a podcast.

Podcastle
    Short fantasy stories read aloud by a range of people. They do their best to get a pretty even mix of stories and protagonists, and I've found a few new favourite short stories through them.

Escape Pod
    Produced by the same people as Podcastle, but for short science fiction stories rather than fantasy. Equally enjoyable.

• Like x 3
  12. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

vastderp just reblogged a thing i think y'all'd be interested to know. the creators of welcome to nightvale started a new podcast called alice isn't dead about a lesbian trucker starring jasika nicole:

http://aliceisntdead.libsyn.com/

• Like x 4
  13. Kaycashew

Kaycashew guinea pig hearder

I love to cast pods!

My biggest recommendation is Hardcore History by Dan Carlin is very long, in depth podcasts about history, but he doesn't update much. (CW- It is sometimes violent because history was violent)

Dan Carlin also has a political podcast called common sense, it's politics but not from a left/right perspective.

Lexicon Valley from Slate talks about the history of words or phrases-- I'm a lungistics dork so I love it-- they recently did a podcast about singular they that was great. Some of the other Slate podcasts are good, but lean politically left (I'm politically left so...)

I like Marketplace from NPR - it's the same as the radio show but it's nice to have it on your iPhone/iPod/iThing in podcast form- It is about markets and economics (Monday to Friday)

If you like wrestling- I listen to the Wrestling Inc podcast as well as stone cold Steve Austin's.

Now it is time for my shameful secret- I'm from a liberal family and I hang out with and consume a lot of liberal/lefty media so I like to get some media from the other side of the political spectrum for balance-- I listen to radio Derb by John Derbyshire. This is not so much a recommendation as a confession. He is very conservative and probably racist but his saving grace is he doesn't seem to be anti-intellectual (he likes math and admits climate change is a real thing) also I like his accent. I don't agree with most of his views, but I find that he is one of the few right-wing conservative types who helps me think more and carefully consider my beliefs rather than just making me shut down with rage.

I don't listen to any fiction podcasts, I gotta try the lesbian trucker one!

• Like x 2
  14. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

it's only got 1 episode so far, but it was pretty good imo. the tone seems to be a lot like wtnv but i'm assuming it's going to eventually touch on myths, legends, and weird happenings all through the roadtrip instead of being isolated in one town. also i love jasika nicole. a+ voice choice.

edit: also, it was mentioned earlier but if you're thinking of looking into fiction podcasts wolf 359 is amazing 11/10 absolutely recommend.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    • Like x 2
  15. blue

my podcasts currently:

the thrilling adventure hour (fiction, hilarious, over but all the episodes are up on iTunes or wherever, I recommend the beyond belief segments which are about drunk married ghost hunters)
    my brother my brother and me (bad advice podcast with three brothers, hilarious, enormous backlog, draws liberally from yahoo answers)
    the adventure zone (mbmbam bros and their dad play d&d)
    sawbones (a couple consisting of a lady who's a doctor and a guy who's a doofus (doofus and mbmbam cast member) examine stories from medical history)
    the dollop (American history podcast with two comedians)
    friends at the table (another actual play tabletop podcast, much more serious than adventure zone, amazing characterization and world building)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    • Like x 3
  16. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

i just remembered story corps existed and i want to share it with everyone because i love it. i love learning about people and hearing their stories. here's a basic description:

StoryCorps travels the country collecting the stories of everyday people, who get to take the microphone and interview each other about their lives. Each week, the StoryCorps podcast shares these unscripted conversations, revealing the wisdom, courage, and poetry in the words of people you might not notice walking down the street.

and here's some of my favorite episodes (they're all animations because that's how i first found story corps):

the last one is really sad and maybe a little traumatic, but sweet:

17. blue

oh my god, the dollop guys gave a trigger warning for this episode. we live in a brave new world

(I think this is good, I just never expected it to happen)

• Like x 2
  18. strictly quadrilateral

*bounces up and down* BLACK TAPES UPDATE kind of

19. blue

20. strictly quadrilateral

OKAY SO i have been basically listening to podcasts nonstop for a couple months now and i come bearing recommendations; everything i list here has not been mentioned in this thread yet

The Bright Sessions (people with superpowers get therapy but also there's a cool plot i guess idk i just love the characters a lot)
    Lore (folklore history i guess? it's really cool and the guy who does it has an excellent voice)
    You Must Remember This (Hollywood history. i...don't know why I'm listening to it, because i don't know shit about film history, but i am learning a lot and the narrator's voice is wonderful)
    Down And Safe (I will recommend this for the rest of my life; four sci-fi and fantasy professionals analyze the tv show Blake's 7 episode by episode)
    ars PARADOXICA (i'm only two episodes in but there's time travel, so)
    Archive 81 (only a few episodes so far, but I'm invested. some guy is getting paid to digitize a bunch of weird audio tapes)
    Small Town Horror (also only a few episodes so far, but GODDAMN is it good. and genuinely terrifying at parts)
    Return Home (basically JDatE as a podcast. the plot is different but the style is very similar)
    Greater Boston (i don't even know but i love it)

• Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice