do you cast pods?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Kaylotta, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

I was also intimidated when I first found it, not gonna lie. But after I listened to the first ep I was 100% hooked. It's a perfect mix of comedy and drama - silly and serious, so very human. Just brilliant.

2. blue

blue hightown funk you up

Everybody should please please please listen to Friends at the Table (it's so good! It's fandom is so tiny!). It's an actual-play tabletop podcast that is (to quote their intro) about critical worldbuilding, smart characterization, and fun interaction between good friends.

The first season is about two groups of adventurers in a post-apocalyptic Tolkienesque-fantasy-set-on-its-ear world (system: mostly Dungeon World) while the second one is about a group of criminals slash sometime government employees in Space Cyberpunk Cold War Berlin (system: MechNoir and then The Sprawl). Season two is, I think, easier to get into - the sound quality is better, and the players have a better handle on their characters.

It's a really great actual play podcast in that I enjoy hearing these friends hang out and play the game, but I also care enormously about the story and characters they create.

It's kind of rough to get into, since both seasons start a little slow, but it was recently on the iTunes top podcasts on the iTunes Store and their GM made an intro/explanation episode, so that's helpful.

Also one of the players is a composer and he writes really lovely music for it!

BONUS: season two has a really quality gay romance and I love it

3. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

I am a sucker for tabletop podcasts. How did you ever find my weakness

4. strictly quadrilateral

is anyone else excited for Big Data? i forget most of the Massive List of Cool People who are involved, but i do know that Felicia Day and Cecil Baldwin are both in it.

I heard the first episode is going to be released next month!

• Like x 1
  5. OnnaStik

OnnaStik Relatively nice for a bloodthirsty mercenary

Well now I am

• Like x 3
  6. strictly quadrilateral

//bounces up and down GUYS

you should all listen to Jim Robbie and the Wanderers!! it's been awesome about gay representation thus far AND in the most recent episode one of the characters is confirmed to be trans!!!!

7. EulersBidentity

EulersBidentity e^i*[bi] + 1

I only started listening to podcasts recently! But they're so great. They've improved all my commutes.

Currently listening/have listened:

Most of the McElroy creations, i.e.
    • MBMBaM
    • Sawbones
    • The Adventure Zone
    • CoolGames Inc (Griffin McElroy and Nick Robinson from Polygon conceive terrible video games, sometimes invite guests)
    • Things I bought at Sheetz (okay not a podcast really, but I did just watch the whole backlog.)
    Additionally, on recommendation of people here:
    • The Message (great dialogue and characters. I loved this apart from the last ten mins)
    • The Bright Sessions (oh Caleb, I am so fond of you. Good voice acting)
    • SAYER (cool and atmospheric. I listened to too many in a row and got too used to it, but I'll go back after I take a break.)
    On my "to listen" list:
    • Edict Zero
    • Rocket (Simone de Rochefort was hilarious when she was a guest on Coolgames Inc, so I subscribed to this. I listened to a few mins and wasn't gripped though. I'll try again in a couple of days.)
    Honourable mention:
    • WTNV (years ago, before I even knew what podcasts were. I fell off listening at some point. I should pick it up again.)

• Like x 5
  8. blue

fuck, I love cool games inc so much.

• Like x 1
  9. EulersBidentity

@blue when you finish Kintsugi Plays DA2, can I nominate "Kintsugi plays Hugh Jackman's Huge Actin'", or maybe "Kintsugi plays Cook for Cube"?

• Like x 1
  10. strictly quadrilateral

i'm enjoying The Bridge so far. there's only one episode right now, so you should all go listen to it.

• Like x 1
  11. iff

iff Well-Known Member

Can I get a link? bridges appear to be a christian Thing

12. strictly quadrilateral

• Like x 1
  13. blue

If I got to pick one - well, I desperately wish AFVR existed.

• Like x 1
  14. EulersBidentity

I like The Bridge! The narrator is likeable and the setting is intriguing. Subscribed.

• Like x 1
  15. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

ive spent the past weeks listening to Alice Isn't Dead on repeat, because it's right up my alley.
    if youve listenend to it, whats your verdict on it? know any podcasts that are similar?

16. strictly quadrilateral

okay it's been a while since i made a post. i'm gonna try not to do any repeats, but no promises.

i'm only like five episodes into PleasureTown but i'm enjoying it a lot
    Hector vs The Future is fantastic and i love it; i think a lot of the people from Wooden Overcoats are involved but i couldn't tell you who
    Audio Diary of a Superhero (i'm only 2 episodes in but i love the world it's set in; there's only 5 episodes and i really need to finish listening)
    the people doing Archive 81 have just released a teaser for The Deep Vault
    Alba Salix, Royal Physician is a short completed series that's really worth listening to
    audioblivious productions has a good show, Wynebago Warrior. i'm in a chat with one of the guys who writes it, he's nice.

also, i haven't listened yet so idk if t's any good but i figured people would want to know: there's a Machine of Death podcast.

special mention for a podcast that is a full audio production of the ENTIRE BIBLE in Polish and can't seem to keep a normal update schedule.

at my last count, i was subscribed to 158 podcasts.

• Like x 1
  17. strictly quadrilateral

• Like x 2
  18. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

OMG THESE ARE SO GOOD

• Like x 1
  19. glitterchance

glitterchance 34 Vigilant Gaze Engulfs the Void

I really love http://ohnopodcast.com/ where the hosts go to various religious subcultures and talk about what they experienced. They did a long series on scientology this year that was great and gives a good taste of what they're about.

Also there's http://mentalpod.com/ , the Mental Illness Happy Hour, where the host (who is mentally ill) talks with celebrities and/or doctors about their brainweird. Rambly, unapologetic and funny.

• Like x 3
  20. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

oh man i've been listening to a TON of podcasts lately, here're some of my faves :D

Coolgames Inc is basically auditory shitposts where listeners tweet in their suggestions for games, and the two hosts come up with game ideas. some of my favorites were "Tim McGraw's What If? Trucks: Fates" which was prompted by "tony hawk proskate 3 but with trucks" and "Homestuck," a game where you're trapped in your house and have to eat insulation to survive. your stats include smelly, tummy, hungy, thirsty, and hair. someone also did a kickstarter for their game and raised millions of dollars, but their plans for terezi got leaked

The Myths and Legends Podcast is bedtime stories, but better! the host tells original (or as close to original as he can find and cobble together) tellings of popular fairy tales, along with some less well known but no less interesting ones, along with an ample helping of his own dry humor and commentary. i really enjoy basically anything with baba yaga or koshei :p

My Brother, My Brother, and Me is an "advice" podcast that three brothers (duh) host, taking questions from several different social media platforms to give really terrible advice to people. often the advice involves time travel, and once it involved hiring levar burton to reprise his role as geordi laforge to convince a girl that he was the great-great-grandson of her and the asker, sent from the future to make sure they get together

• Like x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice