do you cast pods?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Kaylotta, Nov 28, 2015.

1. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

@blue hello i have been listening to the penumbra podcast and i love it a lot

i said i was forming a rita defense squad and like 6 people immediately joined me

• Like x 1
  2. blue

blue hightown funk you up

i love the penumbra podcast (specifically juno steel, i haven't really listened to the others)

(when you catch up you should read my fanfic)

3. strictly quadrilateral

the first non-juno episode was. uh. it was the first time i felt genuinely uncomfortable listening to a podcast? i was about 3 seconds from just never finishing the episode. so. yeah.

but anyway of course i'll read your fanfic!

• Like x 2
  4. blue

oh god yeah shaken is Rough. it was a little too tropey/predictable to really get me freaked out, but .. nonetheless.. difficult

5. strictly quadrilateral

i was almost okay until the teakettle whistled and it was just Too Much. a few people talked to me and i decided i could finish the episode, but it was Not Fun.

• Like x 1
  6. blue

(sympathy like)

I thiiiink Shaken is their only attempt at horror and the other stories are, variously, lesbian wild west adventure and fantasy comedy? But i haven't listened to them, so I can't speak to their quality.

7. strictly quadrilateral

you should listen to them! the wild west lesbians are a+ and the only other one i've listened to so far is the janus beast one, which was really cool

• Like x 1
  8. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Been listening to Nightvale, Naked Mormonism, and the Adventure Zone lately. I am really loving wtnv and the Adventure Zone is lovely even though I don't normally like listening to people play tabletop games. Naked Mormonism I am very fond of generally though I do take issue with the host's tone and wording at times. I just don't take kindly to people using the words civilized and incivilized.

9. OnnaStik

OnnaStik Relatively nice for a bloodthirsty mercenary

For anyone who listens to Jim Robbie and the Wanderers: Is it one of those things that maybe takes a couple episodes to find its feet? Because so far it's falling into a sort of Uncanny Valley of quality for me- just good enough to make the problems really grate. It's actually easier for me right now to listen to something I just find flatly mediocre. But the first few eps of Wolf 359 annoyed me at the time, too, and if it's going to get as good as that did I don't want to miss out on it...

10. strictly quadrilateral

Yes, it does get a lot better. I didnt much like the first handful of episodes but everything gets better after that.

• Like x 1
  11. EulersBidentity

EulersBidentity e^i*[bi] + 1

From the people who brought you The Message: this is LifeAfter. And so far it is very good.

So apart from one plot misstep, I thought The Message was really outstanding in its writing/acting quality. Possibly the best acting in a fiction podcast I've ever heard. Ep 1 of LifeAfter seems set to continue that trend, and I'm very psyched about where this story will go.

• Like x 2
  12. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

Has anyone listened to the Mabel podcast? It's only 8 episodes so far, and I think the format is interesting. It's a series of voice messages between a carer and a woman's granddaughter.
    I'm pretty sure fairies are involved in some way. Especially after that stuff with the fox, which gave me chills. "It threw back its pointy little head and laughed at me" there needs to be more stuff that makes fairies scary again. Also the grandmother almost died like holy shit! The plants/the cold almost had her. I want to know more about the distorted voice too.
    I can't wait for season two. Going to relisten to it to see if I can pick up anything else.

13. Southe-lands

Southe-lands A Cliff in Front, a Wolf Behind.

Ahhhhhh so many good recommendations! Seconding The Black Tapes, Tanis, and WtNV. Also recommending:

Last Podcast on the Left: Conspiracy theories, true crime, serial killers, chaos magic, cults, and INCREDIBLY rude humor. Content warning for... pretty much everything, they deal with horrible stuff with a constant stream of humor that is in incredibly poor taste, so this is definetly not a 'cast for everyone. I'd recommend starting off on a lighter episode like "The Hollow Earth" to get a feel for the kind of humor they use, because leaping straight into, say, "Albert Fish" is a terrible idea. Obviously NSFW.

Knotcast: Sex and relationship advice for furry trash. Also covers politics, current events in the US and the DFW area, and fandom drama. Incredibly NSFW. I'd suggest starting with episode 300 or thereabouts, as they started off *really* rough, with a lot of not so cool opinions on various social issues. Watching the cast learn and grow and become better people has been cool though.

The Weeds: Vox's weekly politics podcast. Very wonky, with a focus on policy. Pretty smart, but very lefty.

Democracy Now!: Technically an internet tv show, but they have an audio version on iTunes as well. Also very lefty politics, but in the format of your standard cable news hour. Focuses on US and World events, and is usually hosted by Amy Goodman, who is my hero. (And the only journalist I know of to broadcast live from a state she had an arrest warrant in.)

Citizen Radio: Yet more lefty podcast goodness, this time with a comedy bent. Hosted by Jamie Kilstein and Alison Kilkenny, they cover politics primarily in the US and crack jokes to keep from breaking down and crying at how fucked everything is. Very LGBT and PoC friendly, but decidedly NSFW.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    • Like x 1
  14. Technicality

Technicality All's fair in love and shitposting

One of my personal favorites is the Co-Optional Podcast. It's a bunch of people talking about video games occasionally, but mostly it devolves into stupidity quickly. I love it.

• Like x 1
  15. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

i loooove LPotL, got into them because my fav murder actually got their inspiration from them lmao

• Like x 1
  16. blue

OH BOY FRIENDS the bright sessions updated today and it's Good.

So Damien, aka Kilgrave Lite who unconsciously projects his wants onto other people so that they want to do what he wants, kidnapped the protagonist(?) Dr. Bright's brother, because he knew the brother - Mark - could mirror people's abilities if he was around them.

Mark had been in a time-travel induced coma for some years (long story) and when Damien woke him up and got him out of the Sinister Facility, Damien was disappointed to see that Mark's powers weren't working, for some reason - Damien wanted somebody who could ~understand him~ by virtue of sharing his ability. So he drove around with Mark for months, trying to psychoanalyze him into his powers working, lying to him about the circumstances of his rescue so he wouldn't know his sister was looking for him, and more or less keeping him on a leash with his overwhelming desire for him not to leave Damien alone.

... In the most recent episode, Mark confronted Damien, having figured out that Damien was lying to him. Damien shouted at him to leave, but Mark couldn't, which he pointed out was because Damien didn't REALLY want him to leave. The argument escalates until, SNAP, Mark starts shouting about how he just wants Damien to tell 100% of the goddamn truth and try to act like a decent human being --

-- at which point his powers came back. And violently overpowered Damien's, making Damien pass out and then wake up in a state where he keeps repeating "I don't feel right" and being completely, uncomfortably honest with Mark about how he feels. Please stay. I don't want you to leave. You don't trust me and that hurts my feelings. And so on. Mark is a little horrified.

and OH MAN that table-turning and horrible forced emotional intimacy is Super Good. :3c

• Like x 3
  17. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

THANK YOU BLUE~ THAT IS EXACTLY THE NEWS I WAS HOPING TO GET SOON RE BRIGHT SESSIONS AND FEEL SAFE ENOUGH TO DIVE HEADFIRST BACK INTO IT WITH ABANDON AGAIN. <3

• Like x 3
  18. pinnedbutterfly

pinnedbutterfly *sparkles*

*pokes head in thread* I started listening to The Bridge bc someone here rec'd it and it's Really Good so far, even tho I'm only on ep 3! I also have a lot of others that I'm listening to or going to listen to.

Also what I've listened to Of Within The Wires is good but I can't say how I feel about it yet as I haven't finished it. I like the narrators voice though.

Alice isn't Dead is good too, but I've only listened to the first ep of that.

I'm currently trying to re-listen to night vale/catch up bc I'm super behind and I don't remember exactly what was happening where I left off, and I need to catch up before I see the live show in April! :>

19. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

HELLO YES I ADORE THE WTW NARRATOR SO MUCH.

Also starting to listen to Sex Archie. A podcast where general ironicus and his girlfriend talk about the show Riverdale.

• Like x 2
  20. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    • Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice