do you flick nets?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by sidneyia, Sep 26, 2017.

1. sidneyia

sidneyia from TV

(Because "do you cast pods?" is just the best thread name.)

A thread for whatever you're currently watching on Netflix (or equivalent streaming service), recommendations, etc.

We just finished American Vandal. Highly recommend.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  2. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Recently watched Sense8, enjoyed it (significant sexual content and all)
    Something about the way most sex scenes (and fight scenes) bounce between 2+ characters' situations in ways that resemble and contrast nicely is fun to watch. And the tendency of sex to turn into psychic orgies was delightful. Some of the more overt dramatic stuff, like basically anything involving Angelica and that church, got annoying. And the drug stuff got downright tedious. But there's enough that I love it in spite of that stuff.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I used to watch the unbreakable kimmy schmidt, havent picked it up again yet, and i love it! Kimmy's character type is a real favorite of mine.

Ive also been working my way through glow, its a fun show. I love the heel, i cant remember her name. Basically the main character for a while? Ruth! That was it. Also the otherkin lady, and the legacy girl.

The death note movie sucked, and i was sad, but willem dafoe was a great ryuk.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 2
  4. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I really love Bojack Horseman. I haven't watched season 4 yet because DEPRESSION AND BOJACK DO NOT MIX, but I've heard nothing but good things about it, and I highly recommend the series. (Fair warning: it gets very bleak and heartwrenching. Like I said, depression and Bojack do not mix.)

Also, all but the most recent season of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia are on Netflix! Absolutely hilarious, but definitely not for everyone, given that the main characters are all HORRIBLE people.

Also also, Hulu has the first three seasons of SU and I am just aching for them to put season 4 up. GIVE ME LAST ONE OUT OF BEACH CITY, HULU.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    • Like x 1
  5. sidneyia

sidneyia from TV

Is Glow watchable if you hate wrestling? I've had a couple people tell me that it is.
    Hoo boy, yeah, the newest season is definitely the most heart-wrenching yet. For me personally, the show doesn't make my depression worse because Bojack is such a relatable portrayal of a depressed character and it feels kind of good to see that, if that makes sense. But obviously brains are all different.
    I looooove Always Sunny. Still haven't seen the newest season, though.

6. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Yeah, definitely! The characters are all really neat, even if the wrestling itself is super offensive at points. They definitely portrayed the times correctly -_-. It also kinda puts wrestling on blast a little too here and there, its almost satirical without flat out satire being a theme? Or something.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  7. sidneyia

sidneyia from TV

We've started watching Big Mouth, which is surprisingly good despite the really ugly art style.

8. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I've been making an effort to watch more anime for educational purposes. Yes really. I've had a lot of formal instruction in Japanese, but listening comprehension has never been my strong suit. Regular exposure is sort of difficult, especially with low and unreliable daily spoon counts plus agoraphobia. But most days I can manage one episode of some show, and that's infinitely better than nothing. Netflix doesn't exactly have an extensive selection of anime, so it's good that I've seen what seems to be a ridiculously small amount for a Japanese language student.

Currently in the middle of Durarara!! and loving it. I don't really keep up with what's popular in anime so I'd only vaguely heard of it, but so far I've been really impressed. I was pretty much sold by the opening theme, which portrays both a badass mysterious motorcyclist with a cat ear helmet, and someone opening an exploding can of soda inside a car.

It's a stylish, fast paced story with action, mystery, and supernatural elements, told from the points of views of many characters doing many different somewhat related things. It's way less confusing and more cohesive than it has any right to be.

There could probably be content warnings for this, but I haven't seen the whole thing yet and I'm not really adept at that sort of thing anyway. I'll just say it gets into some very dark, disturbing, and generally fucked up shit, but doesn't tend to dwell.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  9. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

I love DRRR! The first season is great. The second season is also pretty good, but really repetitive if you've seen the first.

• Informative x 2
  10. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

Uragiri no Yuuyake goes hard as fuck
    I only barely finished s1 of DRRR! but I Lov The Opening Song

Also, surprising no one, I will plug the Transformers series Netflix hosts til the day I die :P TFPrime is beautiful if you ignore them dumping all the animation budget into The Prettiest Robots Ever and very tightly written, and Robots In Disguise is a great series if you just want some monster-of-the-week, slice-of-life more episodic giant robot show.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  11. Bunny

Bunny aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

The good place! I binge watched the whole first season and first episode of the second season(cause that was all there was) in one day. I found it pretty funny and I'm not normally one to laugh much at comedy.

Worth warning that the show involves a lot of someone being forced to pretend they are someone they are not which I know wigs some people out.

Also eternal damnation seems to be a Thing in this show which is a concept that really upsets me personally so uh, warnings for that if you are in the same boat as me.

But really! I mostly found it really charming.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  12. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Because you can never have too much Transformers, really, I swear (except if Michael Bay and then yes you can) I'll add Rescue Bots. It's aimed at a very young audience, but they use it as an excuse to be fun and ridiculous rather than lazy or boring. It's a show I can genuinely enjoy watching even when I'm too drained for almost anything else. Also the opening theme is catchy, which is very important to me as a person. (I could not watch House on Netflix because the opening theme was not Teardrop and I couldn't deal.)

• Agree x 1
  13. Spectacularsalmon

Spectacularsalmon Enthusiastic dork

I finished American Vandal last week! I would definitely recommend it too. Lately I've been watching Black Mirror and IASIP, although I'm getting through them kind of slowly because I haven't had a lot of free time lately.

14. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

I binged all of "Life Below Zero", which is a two-season documentary series on a bunch of people who live up in Alaska near the Arctic Circle. Including Sue, a middle-aged grandma who lives and works at the furthest northern point, running Kavik camp (which is a spot where planes and such can refuel, people can overnight, and it serves as a base of operations for search-and-rescue crews if they're looking for someone in that area). The show focuses on four main groups: an elderly white couple who are starting to prepare for what approaches retirement when you live in an area that requires constant work to survive; a middle-aged mixed-race couple with a big family (he's a white/white-passing dude who moved up there in the late 80s, she's a native Inuit from one of the local tribes; it mostly only comes up in that they're both focused on ensuring their kids know their heritage from the mom's side and that he can't hunt for seals legally); Sue; and a young dudebro in his mid-20s.

Worth warning, since it probably would bother some folks: the dudebro and the male half of the elderly couple are both vocally sick of modern civilization; they switch dudebros about partway through the second season, and dudebro 2.0 is even more Performatively Done with civilization and also is a prime example of Totally Going To Get Eaten By A Bear. Sue and the parental couple are reasonably in favour of civilization (the parental couple especially, bc they survive primarily off of a barter system with the rest of their village) and Sue lives out in Kavik because she just can't stand the sensory experience of living in towns and being around crowds. (I do headcanon that Sue's got some degree of neuroweird going on, but it never comes up whether she does or not; my suspicion on this is pretty strong, considering she chooses to keep living out there despite having nearly died to bears.)

There is also very graphic depiction of animals being shot and butchered - everyone the show follows is a subsistence hunter, and everyone except for Sue is an active fur trapper.

Sue also has somewhat dubious weapons safety going on, although her reasoning for it is pretty understandable. (She has actually had bears and wolverines bust through the walls of her dwelling, so she prefers to keep a loaded weapon close to hand at all times so she's prepared for the next time it happens.)

I also chewed through all of Deep Fried Masters and BBQ Pitmasters, because I adore cooking shows. I'd recommend them - Pitmasters is especially good if you're looking for something relatively chill to watch.

• Like x 1
  15. Elph

Elph capuchin hacker fucker

Currently watching this!
    I like to call it The Only Way Is Assholes. Like The Only Way Is Essex, but with Assholes instead of Essex. (I have never watched The Only Way Is Essex.)

• Winner x 2
  16. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

just started stranger things and oh boy

• Like x 5
  17. Elph

I still haven't even watched that! I recognised someone's obscure Stranger Things-referencing costume the other day, but I still haven't watched it at all.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  18. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

I've been using netflix series to practice my french, so now that I've finished Gilmore Girls (I like having nonsense shows in the background when I'm home alone) I'm watching Wakfu!

19. Elph

ME TOO, oh my god, I'm so glad other people keep mentioning this. I didn't think I was the only one but I did think people might find it weird...I put them on while I'm going to sleep, too. That's supposed to be poor "sleep hygiene" but the alternative is counterproductive to me—I need pretty much constant mental stimulation, and if I don't have it, my brain goes off in unpleasant ways. My "lullaby cartoons" (it is usually cartoons) have to be interesting enough to keep those edges of my attention, but also have to be something that I don't respect enough to want to stay awake for :P this is why I've seen all of Family Guy and American Dad multiple times, ngl. And Archer—the first show to inspire The Only Way Is Assholes as a title—was something I liked enough to actually rewatch while awake, but it didn't bother me to miss bits of it while falling asleep.

• Like x 2
  20. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

@Elph eheheh I'm pretty picky about my nonsense—it has to be something Mainly upbeat, and if I get too invested in it that's A Pain
    I dropped once upon a time, green arrow, AND a few others for that, but the good witch was p good for that
    I can't usually do it when I'm about to sleep, but when I'm doing homework it Helps

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice