Do You Wanna Be A Magical Girl?- Magical⋆Burst (now playing)

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by Arxon, Jan 13, 2017.

1. An Actual Bird

An Actual Bird neverthelass, Brid persisted, ate third baggel

I was also thinking Knight, but no reason we can't have two. Here's what I had so far:

Name: Watanabe Kasumi

Faction: Sapphire

What Kind of Girl Are You: Sukeban — delinquent gangster girl.
    What Convinced You To Make a Pact: The promise of meaning in her life: something worth fighting for, something to prove herself with.
    What Is Your Wish: Courage. Power. She’s not sure of the difference.
    Magical Element: Metal
    Magical Weapon: Spiked baseball bat
    Magical Power: Conjuration of chains
    Magical Girl Costume: Black jacket with intricate embroidery (of a misty moon), short black pleated skirt (with bike shorts), big black boots with metal spikes

Charm: 4
    Insight: 4
    Tenacity: 6

Magic: 5/Support
    Heart: 9/Defense
    Fury: 4/Attack

Resolve: 18

Specialization: Knight
    Talents:
    Guardian: Free Action, 1 Overcharge (Defense) If you are in the same position as an enemy and they attempt to move out of that position, you can make a Support vs. Support challenge. If you win, they are unable to move out of your position.
    Reflector: Free Action. Once per round, if you successfully attack a target, you play put a Reflector effect on yourself or an ally within a range of 0-2. The reflector lasts until the end of your next turn. While it is active, any time an enemy successfully attacks the bearer, they ignore up to 3 points of damage from the attack, and the attacker takes those points of damage.

Shield: When you or an ally are being hit with an attack, you can take 1 Support overcharge to reduce the damage by 5. You can take up to 3 Overcharge this way for one attack.
    Desperation: While your current Resolve is half of your Base Resolve or less, you get +2 to attack challenges and +2 to the damage you cause with all of your attacks.
    Second Wind: Minor Action, 1/Scene. Regain 2d6 Resolve and get +1 to Defense challenges until the start of your next turn.

Crisis:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    • Like x 3
  2. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

She looks great! Metal as your element should already cover ferrokinesis, though, you don't need to take that as your power as well.

• Like x 1
  3. An Actual Bird

owo I didn't realise that! Alrighty, I will think of something neat.

I also had another idea for a character (eta: don't hover your mouse over 'post' when you know you keep hitting it accidentally) with music for an element...but I'm already attached to Kasumi. Dammit. Much like meguca, character creation is suffering.

• Like x 2
  4. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Name: Megumi Minami
    Faction:Aquamarine
    Seafoam Berserker Manami

What Kind of Girl Are You: Bullied Loner
    What Convinced You To Make a Pact: The promise of power to right wrongs and an outlet for her anger.
    What Is Your Wish: Revenge, for all injuries and slights, real or imagined.
    Magical Element: Rage
    Magical Weapon: Glaive
    Magical Power: Illusions
    Magical Girl Costume: Rose gold and pastel pinks. A really frothy short dress and metal gauntlets and boots. SO MANY FRILLS. AND RIBBONS. AND LACE. Still pastels, but all blues leaning seafoam and aqua now. Elements of white, but only to empasize the FROTH LEVELS. Dress is vaguely ballerina tutu in style, all of the metal on her gauntlets and boots are silver-blue. TEAL HAIR.

Charm: 3
    Insight: 6
    Tenacity: 5
    Magic: 6 (Offense)
    Heart: 3 (Support)
    Fury: 9 (Defense)

Resolve: 18

Specialization: Knight
    -Guardian
    -Reflector
    Talents:
    - Empower (1/Scene)
    Grant yourself either the Exited or Calm status effect.
    - Aura of Strength
    Any time you succeed on a defense roll you emit an aura that inflicts 2 damage to all enemies in the same position as you. This aura is not considered an attack action.
    - Create Barrier (Minor Action, 1 Overcharge (Defense), 1/Episode)
    Create a magical barrier in the same position you occupy. This barrier has 20 points of Resolve.

Crisis:

I'm still waffling on some things, but I thiiiiink? This is where I want to go with this? (I might change her Magical Element but I'm not sure yet.)

edit: Settled on Illusions, after sleeping on it.
    edit edit: Updated with colorscheme and title.
    edit x3: updated with adjusted magical stats

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    • Like x 3
  5. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Looks good!

6. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Hello I am sorry for radio silence, I have been low on spoons but still working on things! Here is a (very very not specific) map of the city, with some important landmarks.
    Light green squares are parks, the bright green line is the subway line, black squares are where important landmarks are located. Unless they are more than one square, they probably don't take the entire square up. Three squares is a mile. The bright red numbers are the different neighborhoods.

1- Atochiku- A new area of the city, Atochiku is a upscale urban area with loads of galleries, theatres, and high end boutiques. There are very few residential areas, and what is there is all apartments.

2- Akatani- Akatani is populated mostly by the estates of the rich and wealthy of Saigono City. The area between the two tributaries of the Ayame River is called Mageru, and is the richest area of the city. Almost entirely rich communities and extremely high end stores and services.

3- Okamura- Okamura climbs up the foothills of Benibara Mountain. It is a middle class area with lots of young families. An almost entirely residential area.

4- Kogai- The favorite area of young folk, Kogai is a downtown area less state of the art than Atochiku, but far more welcoming and affordable. Mostly stores and entertainment, with some apartments.

5- Ranta- Named for the beautiful orchids that once grew in the area, Ranta is a fairly quiet neighborhood known for its independent businesses and cozy homes.

6- Mizukosa- Mizukosa, once the financial center of Saigono, has fallen on hard times. With many abandoned factories and warehouses, the area has almost become a ghost town. There is some old housing and a few shops to the west.

7- Kawamura- Kawamura is a quiet middle class neighborhood, with the river separating them from the rest of the city and the forest pressing against their back. Mostly housing, some shops and supermarkets.

8- Nishitaun- Once the richest part of the city, Nishitaun has fallen on hard times, and now is home to most of the poor families of Saigono. Mostly houses, with the occasional mansion that for some reason or another has not been torn down.

9- Furuie- The oldest area in Saigono, Furuie has a lot of traditional homes and sights, although some areas are less than savory. Few houses, mostly touristy attractions.

• Like x 1
  7. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

So, how many schools are there? Just Sumire and Higanbana?

...man it must be awkward for girls from opposing factions to be in the same school.

• Like x 1
  8. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Yep, just those two. And maybe a corresponding all boys academy. I was going to make a snide joke about realism but I was looking up cities comprable to Saigono's size on wikipedia and the city closest in size appearently also only had two high schools!
    ....granted, one of them was probably not super elite private school, but still

• Like x 2
  9. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Ok a few notes:
    I am going to rule that you don't have to use your name in your magical girl name, mostly so that I can keep it a secret which NPCs are magical girls. If you guys are cool with it we can do a different method, like a) having it be faction dependent b) just having a two word magical girl name or c) dispense with the names as a formal construct

eta: forgot I was going to add more to this!
    School clubs!
    Sports-
    1. Kendo- Schedule 1
    2. Archery- Schedule 1
    3. Baseball- Schedule 3
    4. Football (Soccer)- Schedule 2
    5. Track and Field- Schedule 3
    6. Swim- Schedule 1
    7. Basketball- Schedule 2
    8. Figure Skating Club- Schedule 2
    Culture-
    1. Art- Schedule 2
    2. Music- Schedule 2
    3. Literature- Schedule 4
    4. School Newspaper- Schedule 1
    5. Tea Ceremony- Schedule 1
    6. Drama- Schedule 3
    7. Cooking/ Home Ec- Schedule 4
    8. Computer- Schedule 4
    Schedule 1- Monday, Wednesday, Friday
    Schedule 2- Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
    Schedule 3- Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
    Schedule 4- Monday, Friday, Saturday

(The schedules are the official days, but most clubs will always have a teacher or a club leader who encourages you to attend everyday, especially the sports teams or a club like music and drama. Other clubs are far more laid back. You can join two clubs, but the teachers would probably advise against it!)

I will let you form a club within reason (ie no goldsmithing club, because Sumire spends its whole budget on maintaining a fucking ice rink), but it will be a very small one. You don't have to choose a club, although you'll be seen as a bit of a loser if you don't, unless you're skipping out to go to cram school

There is no limit to clubs in Higanbana. Chase your bliss.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  10. KingStarscream

I would like having just a two word magical girl name! I wasn't certain how we were gonna roll with that, but I did have a name picked out already.

edit: I'd also be fine with faction dependent. Either would be coo. :P

• Like x 1
  11. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

The way faction dependent would work is it would go "[faction] [something] [name-like-thing]" or "[someting] [faction] [name-like-thing]". Like "Solar Amethyst Isis!" or "Citrine Crusader Kokoro!" orrrr we could go looser, with just "work in the color or somesuch", like "Cyan Sailor Tsukina!" or "Perfect Turquoise Regina!"

• Like x 1
  12. An Actual Bird

incredible

I wasn't even thinking about magical girl names. I kinda like 'looser w/ colours' just because otherwise it's going to become a little samey. So many things to think about!

• Like x 1
  13. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

oooo yeah.

• Like x 1
  14. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Then are we sticking with "two words +name/identifier, work color of faction into name?" (or anything referring to faction- it could be a subtype of the gemstone, or of something else that is the color. You could be Grape Angel Hikaru if you want.)

• Like x 1
  15. KingStarscream

Works for me!

• Like x 1
  16. An Actual Bird

Midnight⭐Hellion⭐Akira!

(cough okay so Midnight is a shade of blue, Hellion i.e. delinquent and Akira is a cool strong name)

• Like x 2
  17. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Perfect. This is the most Sapphire thing I've ever seen

• Like x 1
  18. An Actual Bird

Aw shucks <3

• Like x 1
  19. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Ok, a number of small but important questions
    a) Do you want to start at the beginning of the school year, at the beginning of the year year, or some other more random point (beginning of the school year would be in early April)
    b) Do you all want to start when you first become magical girls? Or when you have been going at it for a short amount of time? Or mixed?
    c) Timescale: the book suggests that for a longer running game, you spread out how often you give advancements. One advancement per episode (which will probably not be one to one with session but would probably not take more than two, depending) will mean a fairly short game, one per every three or so would be longer. What do you think?
    d) Run time. I am currently free basically all the time, although I kinda hope that'll change soon enough the job-getting process will probably at least take a couple months. I can run on any day except Friday and Saturday. What time and day is good for everyone else? We could run this post by play, but things might be a bit more cumbersome that way.

20. An Actual Bird

a) I dunno, 'beginning of the school year' is kind of awkward. Maybe just before summer holidays?
    b) Miiixed maybe?
    c) I like longer!
    d) can I please request 'not 2am GMT', otherwise any day is fine. I tutor Monday and Thursday but I doubt that'd be an issue taking timezones into account.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice